Any firefighters on here work for

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jewmadbro? View Post
    But do those places have EMS and FD seperate? I don't have my medic so I couldn't get on there.
    Dallas will hire with nothing if you have college hours. There are plenty of places to work as an EMT while you complete Medic. You are young right? You have plenty of time. Hell I just turned 32 and have only been a medic for about 18mos and got my EMT at 28.

Comment

Originally posted by gonzo View Post
      Dallas will hire with nothing if you have college hours. There are plenty of places to work as an EMT while you complete Medic. You are young right? You have plenty of time. Hell I just turned 32 and have only been a medic for about 18mos and got my EMT at 28.
      Yeah I'm 19.The issue is I don't have many college hours. I haven't even been out of HS for a year.

Comment

Yeah I'm 19.The issue is I don't have many college hours. I haven't even been out of HS for a year.
        Dude you just need to get a job as an EMT and get your Medic. There shouldn't be in any rush, besides most departments want 21+ and age is a big thing for them. Younger guys are looked at differently that older guys with families and shit

Comment

No I haven't. I'm still just going through emt-b. To get in we had to do the AHA BLS for health care professionals, but that's about it. If I get on with Arlington they will send me to emt-I school then fire school. If Fort Worth then I will just go to fire school. Both depts have the EMS separate from the FD.
          Yeah, I have my BLS for HCP. It looks like I'll be doing my ACLS before you do so I'll let you know if it sucks or not.

Comment

Originally posted by downshift_me View Post
            Yeah, I have my BLS for HCP. It looks like I'll be doing my ACLS before you do so I'll let you know if it sucks or not.
            Thanks haha

Comment

to me, ACLS was the most boring of all the cards that I took. It's not all that terrible now that they've taken Lidocaine out of the algorhythm

Comment

to me, ACLS was the most boring of all the cards that I took. It's not all that terrible now that they've taken Lidocaine out of the algorhythm
                Did y'all practice on each other as far as the IV ports and junk?

Comment

I replied to your text about studying for the test, did you get it?

Fire/EMS is not separate for FW as far as training. We do not run our own ambulance service, but you will be required to go through both in training. It doesn't matter whether you're certified or not except in the case of the Nat'l Registry test that you aren't required to retake.

Being young isn't looked down upon, and is actually an advantage. You've had less time to get speeding tickets, bad credit, have horrible former employers that might not give a favorable recommendation, have failing grades in college, etc..

I'll send you a PM tomorrow or Wednesday.

Comment

Originally posted by hotrod66stang View Post
                    I replied to your text about studying for the test, did you get it?

Fire/EMS is not separate for FW as far as training. We do not run our own ambulance service, but you will be required to go through both in training. It doesn't matter whether you're certified or not except in the case of the Nat'l Registry test that you aren't required to retake.

Being young isn't looked down upon, and is actually an advantage. You've had less time to get speeding tickets, bad credit, have horrible former employers that might not give a favorable recommendation, have failing grades in college, etc..

I'll send you a PM tomorrow or Wednesday.
                    Yeah I got it, thanks. I talked to AJ for a while on the phone the other day and that helped out a lot.

Comment

We did when I went thru medic class. Get ready for some bruising if you get someone that is not real good starting IVs.

Thats what I learned. But then again, I went thru my first ACLS class when they were still using bretylium. As long as you have the basics down and can interpret the rhythms that is half of it. If you want a good EKG book, pick up one by Dale Dubin...Kind of reads like EKGs for dummies.

Comment

Yeah I got it, thanks. I talked to AJ for a while on the phone the other day and that helped out a lot.
                        Good deal. He's a great guy and he's about to promote for the second time, so he's definitely a good guy to talk to.

Comment

IVs were medic class. ACLS was watching videos and taking tests. We practiced intubation a but that may have just been because I was doing it in new hire for ETMC-EMS. In medic school we were just given the card after we finished the course. I guess they considered it part of learning cardiology and advanced airway stuff.

Comment

Working...
                          X