Dealer Trade Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dealer Trade Question

Is it possible to dealer trade a Texas car to an out of state dealer?

The reason I ask is I am trying to do an in and out trade with a dealer in Tennessee and the car is being sold to a dealer back in Texas.

Thanks!

yes

Comment

What about the in and out part? Are they able (if they are willing) to do that?

Do I pay the Texas taxes to the Tennessee dealership?

Comment

When we bought a car from a Michigan dealership, we paid Michigan taxes, then came home and paid the difference in taxes. Michigan I believe charged 5.5% tax, so we paid the remainder .75% sales tax to the Texas tax office.

Comment

My experience with buying/trading a car in Tennesee is as follows.

We traded in our car on a newer car at the dealership. We did all the dealing over the phone. We paid the difference of the new car minus our trade. We DID NOT pay any tax or registration to the dealer (except for those inv. tax, document fees, etc that every dealer chargers). When we got back to Texas we went and got a green sheet and inspection on the TN car. I went to the Tax Office with that and the buyers agreement from the dealer. I paid the Tax on what we paid (price of car- trade in) and registration.

As far as the in and out goes.... I think you would just have to ask the dealer if they are willing to do it.
          www.dfwdirtriders.com

Comment

If it's a dealer trade, the transaction would be completed in Texas with Texas TTL assessed. A dealer trade is just that, between dealers, and does not involve the customer directly. If you actually purchased the car in the other state, depending on that state's laws, they may collect ttl for that state of Texas on your behalf or not collect it and you are responsible to pay it upon your return.
            BEWARE OF PEREZ TRANSPORT LLC
            BEWARE OF EXOTIC TRANSPORT
            Fernando Perez
            Alijandra Perez
            Mesquite, Texas
            214-680-1415

Comment

A "dealer trade" and an "in and out" are also two seperate transactions. A dealer trade is 2 dealers swapping inventory units to each other. An "in and out" would be a customer who has sold their trade to a third party(independent of the selling dealer) and the dealer allowing the customer to use that trade value in the deal, usually less a customary fee for the transaction. The dealer would then sell the trade to the third party. Usually the dealer will require this part of the transaction to occur first to make sure the deal on the trade is solid. Hope this helps.
              Fernando Perez
              Alijandra Perez
              Mesquite, Texas
              214-680-1415

Comment

Thanks guys!

I guess what I am trying to accomplish is an "in and dealer trade" instead of an "in and out"

The person buying my Corvette is actually a dealer (so a safety inspection, etc doesn't need to be done by the dealer taking the trade in) and we're trying to avoid having to take the car to Tennessee for a "safety inspection".

Hope that makes sense

Comment

Originally posted by b1ake View Post
                  Thanks guys!

I guess what I am trying to accomplish is an "in and dealer trade" instead of an "in and out"

The person buying my Corvette is actually a dealer (so a safety inspection, etc doesn't need to be done by the dealer taking the trade in) and we're trying to avoid having to take the car to Tennessee for a "safety inspection".

Hope that makes sense
                  That is an in and out. The dealer buying your vette from the dealer you are doing business with needs to send a draft to your dealer.
                  Fernando Perez
                  Alijandra Perez
                  Mesquite, Texas
                  214-680-1415

Comment

I need to buy someone lunch (wherever they want) and have them show me how to properly do a "dealer bill of sale" and let me know everything i need to take to the tax office.. any takers?
                    "PSH!!!"

Comment

Working...
                    X