Worker's Comp Legal Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Worker's Comp Legal Question

I'm not injured, nor do I ever expect to be injured at work. This is just a question.

Can a company force you into a Worker's Comp Network?

I just got an email saying that if we have a work injury, and we don't see one of the docs in this network, they aren't paying for shit.

Is that legal?

That's the way it was for someone I worked with who filed for worker's comp a couple of years ago.

Comment

If you get injured on the job and do not see a Dr. that accepts WC you will have made your case incredibly complicated. And possibly relieved the company/WC carrier of responsibility. At the least you will have put yourself in the position of needing a rep from the Dept. of Insurance, probably leading to filing a complaint directly with the Texas Atty. Gen.

This does not mean you HAVE to see one of your company's insurance whore Dr.'s, but you do need to see a Dr. in the WC network.

Comment

Originally posted by 90MarkVII View Post
        If you get injured on the job and do not see a Dr. that accepts WC you will have made your case incredibly complicated. And possibly relieved the company/WC carrier of responsibility. At the least you will have put yourself in the position of needing a rep from the Dept. of Insurance, probably leading to filing a complaint directly with the Texas Atty. Gen.

This does not mean you HAVE to see one of your company's insurance whore Dr.'s, but you do need to see a Dr. in the WC network.
        I can understand seeing a doc who deals with Worker's Comp, but I didn't realize a company could give you a list of docs and tell you that you can only see someone on that list or they won't pay anything. Just seems shady.

Comment

I deal with this shit for a living so take that into consideration when all the "experts" come in here.

In a word, Yes. If your employer enrolls their employees in a Health Care Network (HCN) you are required to treat with a network provider. They are required to supply employees with certain info regarding the HCN and then have you sign a form. Even if you don't want to enroll, as long as they provide the information you are enrolled.

Comment

Originally posted by jluv View Post
            I can understand seeing a doc who deals with Worker's Comp, but I didn't realize a company could give you a list of docs and tell you that you can only see someone on that list or they won't pay anything. Just seems shady.
            That's the exact same way insurance works. Shady? Perhaps. But it's perfectly legal as far as I know. For instance, I go see a Dr outside of my network, my insurance won't pay. I can't think of a reason why WC would be any different.
            Originally posted by BradM
            But, just like condoms and women's rights, I don't believe in them.
            Originally posted by Leah
            In other news: Brent's meat melts in your mouth.

Comment

Originally posted by Shorty View Post
              I deal with this shit for a living so take that into consideration when all the "experts" come in here.

In a word, Yes. If your employer enrolls their employees in a Health Care Network (HCN) you are required to treat with a network provider. They are required to supply employees with certain info regarding the HCN and then have you sign a form. Even if you don't want to enroll, as long as they provide the information you are enrolled.
              That is exactly what is going on. Guess I'll just sign it and go on my way.

Comment

Signing an ‘in-network’ agreement is a condition of employment here. It isn’t like a list of ‘friendly’ doctors though. They are just like your regular medical and work on contracts with certain facilities…

Trust me when I say ‘their’ Dr’s are not on the employer’s side because of being ‘in-network’

I’m too slow for the fast cars and too fast for the slow cars.

Comment

Sign it John Doe!

Comment

I'm not injured, nor do I ever expect to be injured at work. This is just a question.

Can a company force you into a Worker's Comp Network?

I just got an email saying that if we have a work injury, and we don't see one of the docs in this network, they aren't paying for shit.

Is that legal?
                    Yes! If you are injured on the job you are required to see a physician of the company's choosing in order to receive benefits. Now you can see your own doctor if you wish (at your cost) and still have benefits paid. The company doctor reports to the insurance co to ensure benefits guidelines.

Comment

Working...
                    X