How to do touch up paint?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to do touch up paint?

The last Mach 1 i bought from a dealership was white with a pretty deep scratch in the door. I said i wouldnt buy unless they fixed it and they agreed and had some mobile repair guy come out and do it.

when i picked up the car, i looked SOOO hard and couldnt see it at all. im curious, how do these guys do this? i have a few scratches in my daily driver tundra and its starting to bug me and id like to attempt to fix them myself.

i found a few sites online that sell touch up paint to match, but im wondering what is the best pay? a pen? little bottom with brush like your painting fingernails? spray can? etc?

im assuming i would paint it on, then wet sand or buff it down smooth? looking for any advice/tips to make it look good

This is one of those things that you can't really "tell" someone how to do.

Experience and skill is the only way to make a repair as good as what you describe. From my experience, the brush method works best. Use a good dollup of paint, don't try dry-brushing paint into the chip. If you're feeling ballsy, you could sand it back down after it has thoroughly cured, but this is usually a disaster. Best results are achieved by a professional.
    When the government pays, the government controls.

Comment

Originally posted by 46Tbird View Post
      This is one of those things that you can't really "tell" someone how to do.

Experience and skill is the only way to make a repair as good as what you describe. From my experience, the brush method works best. Use a good dollup of paint, don't try dry-brushing paint into the chip. If you're feeling ballsy, you could sand it back down after it has thoroughly cured, but this is usually a disaster. Best results are achieved by a professional.
      Something fell on my car in the previous owner's garage, and he attempted to touch-up paint it. It looks like shit, and it bothers me every day because it is right above the door handle. I have some more bodywork to get done on the car since my dad backed into it in December, so I think I'll just let them take care of that as well.

Comment

Use a really small brush and apply thin coats multiple times. Easy as pie!

Comment

Working...
        X