Partial Unemployment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Partial Unemployment

Well, my wife's company is cutting back... Cutting back to where she can only work 2.5 days (20 hours) per week. She is salaried, so she keeps the same pay rate, but her checks will be 1/2 of what they were...This takes effect on Monday.

Going to apply for partial unemployment. Anyone done this before? Anything we should be aware of when applying?

I know when you are on full unemployment, TWC requires you to keep and submit logs of job applications/interviews. How does this work if she is still partially employed?

Don't have much in the way of savings, so depending on if she can qualify for partial unemployment and how much that will be, I may be posting a lot of stuff for sale in the classifieds...

Thanks for any help or guidance!
    "Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes...Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man." - Thomas Jefferson, 1776

damn dude sorry to hear that. I bet the TWC website has a FAQ section that should have all the info you're hunting

Comment

Originally posted by gonzo View Post
      damn dude sorry to hear that. I bet the TWC website has a FAQ section that should have all the info you're hunting
      Thanks, man. Didn't find it in the FAQ and their website gives me a fucking headache trying to navigate or search for things...

Hoping someone has been through something similar and may have some first hand experience.
      Last edited by BlackGT; 02-15-2013, 03:15 PM.
      "Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes...Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man." - Thomas Jefferson, 1776

Comment

If she's pulling in over $400 or so a week with those 20 hours, you're not going to get shit, I'm almost certain. Expect this to start happening for many, many more people from now on. 5 years from now, two part time 20-25 hr./wk. jobs are going to be the norm for most.

You can send your thank you note to Dear Leader.
        How do we forget ourselves? How do we forget our minds?

Comment

That is all I keep hearing is how businesses are cutting employees to under 30 hours and only hiring new people as 1099 contractors as often as they can.

Comment

Originally posted by Geor! View Post
            If she's pulling in over $400 or so a week with those 20 hours, you're not going to get shit, I'm almost certain. Expect this to start happening for many, many more people from now on. 5 years from now, two part time 20-25 hr./wk. jobs are going to be the norm for most.

You can send your thank you note to Dear Leader.
            I hope that's not the case! She makes (made) considerably more than $400/week...

Fuck, I hate our scammer in chief!!!

Comment

If I understand it right 24 hours minimum and 32 hrs max in order to claim work share.

Comment

Originally posted by snacksnack View Post
                If I understand it right 24 hours minimum and 32 hrs max in order to claim work share.
                I believe that statement is correct. At the plant we have had the option throughout this and last year to use work share. I do not know about salary positions, but hourly did'nt have any restrictions that I was aware of. As long as you worked between 24-32 hours per week we got paid for 1 or days a week. After taxes I was getting $77 per day.
                Last edited by silvercobra03; 02-15-2013, 07:14 PM. Reason: correction
                sigpic

www.metroplexkustoms.com

Comment

Wife talked to TWC and preliminarily she qualifies for up to $400/week... Still have to go through the whole approval process...

Comment

I bet she qualifies for 400 BUT she won't get that. ( I just went though unemployment ) I was maxed out at 852 every other week. That's the most they pay. I could earn about 150 a two week period and still get the 852. Any money after that started eating into my UE check. So for example if I made 350 in two weeks I would get a check for my 852-200(the amount over the 150 allowed) So a check for 652 for two weeks

So making any documented pay over 150 for two weeks was basically "wasting your time" if you trying to ride UE. I wasn't but you understand what I'm saying

If they are telling her 400 per week that has to be based on her not making any money at all

They come up with the 400 by how much she was making. I made well over the max so I got their max of 852 per two weeks

Confusing I know sorry
                    1969 GTO Judge Clone 6.0 liter LQ4 Turbo 4L60e on LS1tech

1960 Chevy Sedan Delivery LS swap

Comment

maybe she could pick up some part time job somewhere. not sure i would want to be part of a company who cuts you to 20 hr a week. the economy is churning pretty good for the time being. the high commodity prices will kill the recovery though if they do not come down.

Comment

It's been a LONG time since I looked into it, like 1997, but back then you could get an offset to bring your income up to 125% of your max benefit amount. For example, if you qualified for the max $400 a week, but you were still earning $300 a week, unemployment would pay you another $200 a week to bring you to $500 a week. This was incentive to work while on benefits. So instead of paying you $400 a week unemployment only had to fork over $200. And at the time, that plan allowed you to collect longer because when you got your initial benefit, it was based on a dollar amount. So if you would normally get 3 months at $400, you would then get 6 months at $200.

Of course, if you already make $500 plus (using my example) you would get nothing.

Comment

Not sure how the partial thing works. I claimed full unemployment for about a month and it required me to apply for at least 5 jobs per week but was never askex for any proof or anything. After my second claim a guy called me asking how my job search was going. I was hired on 2 days prior to the call and told him I wouldn't be making any more claims and he said thanks and that's the last I heard.
                          "Any dog under 50lbs is a cat and cats are pointless." - Ron Swanson

Comment

Thank the fools who voted for obummer

Comment

Originally posted by 2165 Turbo Rail View Post
                              I bet she qualifies for 400 BUT she won't get that. ( I just went though unemployment ) I was maxed out at 852 every other week. That's the most they pay. I could earn about 150 a two week period and still get the 852. Any money after that started eating into my UE check. So for example if I made 350 in two weeks I would get a check for my 852-200(the amount over the 150 allowed) So a check for 652 for two weeks

So making any documented pay over 150 for two weeks was basically "wasting your time" if you trying to ride UE. I wasn't but you understand what I'm saying

If they are telling her 400 per week that has to be based on her not making any money at all

They come up with the 400 by how much she was making. I made well over the max so I got their max of 852 per two weeks

Confusing I know sorry
                              Interesting. I am actually looking forward to the $852 every two weeks. Layoffs are right on the horizon over here and I am sure I max out. I am gonna ride UE until I find the right job instead of doing what I did last time. Virtually 7 years of working 84 hours a week, I am not settling for no time in between jobs and taking the first thing that comes along again.

I do have a line on some pipeline work making $140k for 6 months of inconsistent work.
                              Fuck you. We're going to Costco.

Comment

Working...
                              X