Mosquito-Fighting Plan Allows Access To Private Property With No Warrant

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mosquito-Fighting Plan Allows Access To Private Property With No Warrant

PLANO (CBSDFW.COM) – With West Nile season approaching soon, there’s a controversial bill in the state legislature that would give the government more power to kill mosquitoes.

Texas State Senate Bill 186 would allow authorities to legally trespass on private property without a warrant to treat stagnant water if it “…is reasonably presumed to be abandoned or that is uninhabited.”

State Senator John Carona introduced the bill telling CBS 11, “This is an important health and safety issue.”

Plano health officials believe it will help efforts to combat the West Nile Virus because it will allow for the immediate treatment of problem areas.

Plano resident David Johnson says the plan could have helped his neighborhood had it been in place last summer.

Johnson’s family lives next to a home with a stagnant pool, which is prime breeding ground for mosquitoes. He complained to the City of Plano, which had to get a warrant to finally address the problem since the owner couldn’t be found.

“It took months of notices on the door before any action was taken,” recalls Johnson. “It’s just an absolute nightmare.”

But some legal experts worry that any exception to obtaining warrants will eventually lead to more government access of private property everywhere.

“Are we going to have the potential for government workers going into these houses without going through the proper steps?” questions attorney Pete Schulte. “Does this give the government too much leeway?”

The bill has several hurdles to overcome, including privacy concerns, before becoming law. However, those who live near high-risk areas say they fear an invasion of mosquitoes more than an invasion of privacy.

The 2012 West Nile season was the worst on record in Texas. More than 1800 were infected, 86 people died.
    I wear a Fez. Fez-es are cool

Why don't you stay in your own forum?

Comment

Just walk out back with a shotgun and see how fast they run

Comment

Originally posted by Binky View Post
        Why don't you stay in your own forum?
        I was not aware I had a forum

Comment

eh, usually people who dont care of their homes that lead to some very bad pests infecting the whole street

Comment

Doesn't mean that any agency should enter your property without a warrant. If it's an issue, someone should toss chlorine in your water. Otherwise, stay the hell off out of private property. It's not hard to get a warrant, especially for something like that.

Comment

Game wardens can already enter your property without a warrant. In fact, you should go make sure they aren't outside right now.
              ZOMBIE REAGAN FOR PRESIDENT 2016!!! heh

Comment

"is reasonably presumed to be abandoned or that is uninhabited.”

Comment

Originally posted by 2011GT View Post
                  "is reasonably presumed to be abandoned or that is uninhabited.”
                  Shhhhhhh. Don't poke the bear.
                  Whos your Daddy?

Comment

Originally posted by YOLO View Post
                    Game wardens can already enter your property without a warrant. In fact, you should go make sure they aren't outside right now.
                    You evidently don't know about me and paint

Comment

This reminds me of the thread where the next door neighbor's pool was neglected and the OP was asking for help in cleaning it up.

I think if someone isn't cooperating, then they should be able to get a warrant in hours and not weeks. This is a public safety issue. If someone doesn't care about the welfare of others, then I don't have a lot of pity for them and their personal rights.

Comment

If there's a warrant to treat the water, have fun. Otherwise, you don't need to come on private property no matter if it's inhabited or not. Go to the judge, tell them why you want a warrant and what you want to do with it, get a sign off and go do it. No violations of rights that way

Comment

Originally posted by Forever_frost View Post
                          If there's a warrant to treat the water, have fun. Otherwise, you don't need to come on private property no matter if it's inhabited or not. Go to the judge, tell them why you want a warrant and what you want to do with it, get a sign off and go do it. No violations of rights that way
                          Seems cost effective...

Comment

It seems like they would be able to spot spray from a helicopter. I guess the wind would have to be just right.

Comment

Originally posted by 2011GT View Post
                              Seems cost effective...
                              Quite a bit more cost effective than them entering someone's property thinking it's abandoned and getting shot or getting sued for damaging someone's property with chemicals or someone deciding to grow fish in a pool and they are killed because some idiot decides to dump in chemicals. No warrant? Stay the hell out.

Comment

Working...
                              X