DSLR crew

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DSLR crew

I know there are a ton of posts on this subject, but as a newb its a little bit difficult to choose the right camera to go with.

My wife has been playing around with an older D60 and wants to upgrade and take the time to learn more about photography.

I saw most of you are fans of Nikon.

She was considering Canon or maybe a Sony camera since they seem to be growing in popularity.

Budget is probably around $6-800ish.

Canon t3i or t4i

Comment

I bought Stacy a T4 or T4i I can't remember.. she likes it and it takes pretty good pics
      1969 GTO Judge Clone 6.0 liter LQ4 Turbo 4L60e on LS1tech

1960 Chevy Sedan Delivery LS swap

Comment

I went from a nikon d40 to a Sony A57 the other day, I'm impressed so far. I passed it to a friend of mine Saturday who is a Canon guy and he was floored at it's performance.
        I also like that the camera has a setting to walk you through and teach you what all the settings are while you use it. It's great for beginners.

Comment

D800 or you're not cool.

jk, D3X

Comment

I got my wife the Cannon T3i and she loves it...

Comment

Costco has a great deal on a D3200 bundle, I just bought one. It's $200 off... comes with everything you need to get started; two lenses, case, SD card, etc. $779 for another few days. You won't find a better deal. I love mine so far!

Comment

Based on my experiences, if there is a possibility of purchasing more lenses for it and you decide to go with an aftermarket like Sigma, then I would suggest ahead of time to go with a Canon. Reason is that the direction you turn the barrel to zoom on the Sigma lenses is the same as the Canon.

Also, go fondle a few. Buying a DSLR is a lot like buying a gun. They come in different sizes, so you want to get one that feels good in her hands. I started with a D5000 and it is tiny compared to my D300.
                كافر

Originally posted by sc281
                Always better to be an Uncle than a Father. All the fun stuff and none of the expensive stuff.
                Originally posted by Trick Pony
                ...from what I've seen on here bcoop knows his shit when it comes to smoking meat.

Comment

I have a canon T2i with a 50mm 1.8, the kit 18-55, and a 55-250 and I'm in it for right around a grand. Next purchase for it is a good external flash.

I agree with others though, check them all out before you decide as you will essentially be married to the brand once you start buying glass.
                  Originally posted by stevo
                  Not a good idea to go Tim 'The Toolman' Taylor on the power phallus.

Stevo

Comment

With that range, youd be right at the top of your budget but you can get a Nikon D7000. I absolutely love mine. Its a crop sensor camera but its about as nice as you get without being professional. It has been on sale for $800ish body only. Your D60 lenses will also work on the camera if you have more than the stock kit lens.

Comment

Originally posted by HOOCBB View Post
                      Based on my experiences, if there is a possibility of purchasing more lenses for it and you decide to go with an aftermarket like Sigma, then I would suggest ahead of time to go with a Canon. Reason is that the direction you turn the barrel to zoom on the Sigma lenses is the same as the Canon.

Also, go fondle a few. Buying a DSLR is a lot like buying a gun. They come in different sizes, so you want to get one that feels good in her hands. I started with a D5000 and it is tiny compared to my D300.

This.

Also, I know a lot of people are super excited about the bundle packs that come with two lenses, but I always advice people to go for the quality lens. For instance, on Amazon you can get a t4i with both the 18-55 and the 55-250 or get it with the 18-135 for around the same price. People tend to go for the two lenses but both of those lens quality is not as good as the 18-135. You dont get as much "zoom" from the 18-135 but it is a much better lens all around and to be honest I hardly ever use my 55-250.

Comment

Originally posted by Danny46 View Post
                        This.

Also, I know a lot of people are super excited about the bundle packs that come with two lenses, but I always advice people to go for the quality lens. For instance, on Amazon you can get a t4i with both the 18-55 and the 55-250 or get it with the 18-135 for around the same price. People tend to go for the two lenses but both of those lens quality is not as good as the 18-135. You dont get as much "zoom" from the 18-135 but it is a much better lens all around and to be honest I hardly ever use my 55-250.
                        This too, although, that 18-135 is still a "kit" lens. Expect to pay $1k+ for quality aftermarket "fast" consistent aperture zoom lenses. Prime lenses are less expensive...$400-$600 for quality aftermarket.

Danny, for your photos above, might I recommend switching to a better flash (not the flip up) and using a White Balance setting other than "Auto". Always change to Flash WB when using a flash. Also, when you use a hot shoe mounted flash, use some sort of a diffuser to soften the light and reduce the harshness of the shadows. Depending on what I am shooting, I have a Gary Fong cloud diffuser that slips over my flash and a snap on that came with it.

Using a hot shoe mounted flash will help reduce red-eye because it raises the light source. The biggest cause of it is the flip up flash since it is so close to the same horizontal plane as the lens. A hot shoe mounted flash will also allow you to bounce the light, further reducing red eye.

I honestly haven't had to fix red-eye since I quit using the pop-up flash.
                        كافر

Originally posted by sc281
                        Always better to be an Uncle than a Father. All the fun stuff and none of the expensive stuff.
                        Originally posted by Trick Pony
                        ...from what I've seen on here bcoop knows his shit when it comes to smoking meat.

Comment

Best cam in your price, D7000. Best cam out period besides maybe some 10 grand jobber, Canon 5D mark 3. The D600 is rated almost as good as the Canon and its about 45% cheaper. I'm waiting on a special and getting a 600, can't justify 3500 for the Canon when its maybe 10% better, plus its a fucking hoss, hate heavy cameras.

Comment

has anyone ever used the canon 60D? I saw it at Costco and really liked it
                            Big Rooster Racing
                            1985 Mustang GT

Comment

Originally posted by STROKD View Post
                              Best cam in your price, D7000. Best cam out period besides maybe some 10 grand jobber, Canon 5D mark 3. The D600 is rated almost as good as the Canon and its about 45% cheaper. I'm waiting on a special and getting a 600, can't justify 3500 for the Canon when its maybe 10% better, plus its a fucking hoss, hate heavy cameras.
                              Nikon D7000 /end of thread

I own one and it's basically a "pro" camera for the consumer. It has all the bells and whistles you'll need.

Comment

Working...
                              X