Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mars might get F'ed up by a comet next year

October 19, 2014.

50km (31 miles) in diameter and moving at 56kps (125,268 mph), resulting in a crater 500km (310 miles) across it if hits. That's the distance from here to Lubbock.

Comet C/2013 A1 (Siding Spring) – a possible collision with Mars

February 25th, 2013

There is a chance that the comet C/2013 A1 (Siding Spring), discovered in the beginning of 2013, might collide with Mars. At the moment, based on the observation arc of 74 days, the nominal close approach distance between the red planet and the comet might be as little as 0.00073 AU, that is approximately 109,200 km! Distance to Mars’ natural satellite Deimos will be smaller by 6000 km, making it 103,000 km. On the 19th October 2014, the comet might reach apparent magnitude of -8…-8.5, as seen from Mars! Perhaps it will be possible to accuire high-resolution images from the Mars Reconnaissance Orbiter (MRO).

Since C/2013 A1 is a hyperbolic comet and moves in a retrograde orbit, its velocity with respect to the planet will be very high, approximately 56 km/s. With the current estimate of the absolute magnitude of the nucleus M2 = 10.3, which might indicate the diameter from 10 to 50 km, the energy of impact might reach the equivalent of staggering 2×10¹º megatonnes! This kind of event can leave a crater 500 km across and 2 km deep. Such an event would overshadow even the famous bombardment of Jupiter by the disintegrated comet Shoemaker–Levy 9 in July 1994, which by some estimates was originally 15 km in diameter.

All that is said above is based on the current measurements, and will of course be refined as more data comes in. In any case, even now we can say that the close approach will happen. The current orbit uncertainty allows for a collision scenario, but the possibility of this is small. Astronomers keep watching this interesting comet, and I will keep you up to date with the news.

Nominal orbital elements were taken from JPL NASA website, calculations were done in Mercury package.

Update on Comet C/2013 A1 (Siding Spring) and a possible Mars Impact

You may remember I posted about a possible impact of the newly discovered comet C/2013 A1 (Siding Spring) with Mars. At the time, although an impact was possible the nominal orbit was pretty far from Mars.

Now after some more observations and refinement of the orbit, the orbital track has moved in a bit.

The nominal close approach is now 0.0007 AU. This is much closer than the previous 0.006 AU, but still further out than the 0.00023 AU close approach of 2012 DA14, which missed us by two Earth diameters.

The error associated with this estimate still includes an impact though (and a maximum miss of 0.008 AU), so an impact can't be ruled out at this stage

As I wrote before, as further observations are added and the orbit is refined, we will have a better idea of whether it will impact. Even if it doesn't impact it will look pretty good from Earth, and specacular from Mars (probably a magnitude -4 comet as seen from Mars's surface), which might be observed by the plethora of orbitig spacecraft and the rovers. A collision would also be spectacular, but the rovers may not fare so well.

Last edited by Strychnine; 02-27-2013, 08:46 PM.

How cool would it be if it nailed a rover?

Comment

An entire planet it could hit and it pegs the rover. That would be interesting
      I wear a Fez. Fez-es are cool

Comment

I just hope impact doesn't throw it off it's orbit around the sun, causing it to collide with other shit, and something carom into Earth! lol

Comment

Nice billiards reference.

I posted about this on Canada several years ago. This article acts as though we haven't known this.

Comment

Originally posted by Snatch Napkin View Post
            Nice billiards reference.

I posted about this on Canada several years ago. This article acts as thigh we haven't known this.

New one, dude.

C/2013 A1 (Siding Spring) is an Oort cloud comet discovered on 3 January 2013 by Robert H. McNaught at Siding Spring Observatory using a 0.5-meter (20 in) Schmidt telescope.[1] Precovery images of the comet by the Catalina Sky Survey from 8 December 2012 were quickly found.[1] At the time of discovery the comet was 7.2 AU from the Sun.

Comment

Originally posted by Chili View Post
              I just hope impact doesn't throw it off it's orbit around the sun, causing it to collide with other shit, and something carom into Earth! lol
              I think we're safe. It would probably take something bigger than this comet to do that.

Comment

Planets don't bounce, they absorb.

Comment

I am not saying this was caused by aliens, but it was probably aliens.
                  I don't like Republicans, but I really FUCKING hate Democrats.

Sex with an Asian woman is great, but 30 minutes later you're horny again.

Comment

Is there a Russian colony on Mars or something? That would explain this. Space rocks fuckin' hate Russia.

Comment

Originally posted by LANTIRN View Post

Comment

Fucking Aliens.
                        Originally posted by talisman
                        I wonder if there will be a new character that specializes in bjj and passive agressive comebacks?
                        Originally posted by AdamLX
                        If there was, I wouldn't pick it because it would probably just keep leaving the game and then coming back like nothing happened.
                        Originally posted by Broncojohnny
                        Because fuck you, that's why
                        Originally posted by 80coupe
                        nice dick, Idrivea4banger
                        Originally posted by Rick Modena
                        ......and idrivea4banger is a real person.
                        Originally posted by Jester
                        Man ive always wanted to smoke a bowl with you. Just seem like a cool cat.

Comment

The guy on the History Channel tells me that aliens do this to prepare planets for colonization. The guy with the big hair
                          I wear a Fez. Fez-es are cool

Comment

Originally posted by Forever_frost View Post
                            The guy on the History Channel tells me that aliens do this to prepare planets for colonization. The guy with the big hair
                            Well when it comes to outrageous assumptions about aliens, he is the expert.
                            I don't like Republicans, but I really FUCKING hate Democrats.

Sex with an Asian woman is great, but 30 minutes later you're horny again.

Comment

Well when it comes to outrageous assumptions about aliens, he is the expert.
                              And if you watch the shows he's on, the later the show, the bigger the hair. It's a joke and he knows/plays along with it.

Comment

Working...
                              X