Don't forget to celebrate Texas Independance Day this weekend

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Don't forget to celebrate Texas Independance Day this weekend

AUSTIN, Texas––The spirit of Texas is alive and well in March as the Lone Star State pays homage to its vibrant past throughout the month. Celebrating the month of Texas’ Independence, the Texas Historical Commission (THC) encourages people to explore the state’s historic landscape with a trip through the Texas Independence Trail Region. This heritage travel region is part of the THC’s nationally award-winning heritage tourism initiative, and provides a historic journey through battlefields and significant sites where Texas struggled for freedom.
    Visit Gonzalez, the site of the Texas Revolution’s first skirmish, and experience your own victory in the Texas Independence Day Relay March 23-24. The course ends at the San Jacinto Monument near Houston, where Texas’ independence was won.
    See San Felipe de Austin State Historic Site, home of Stephen F. Austin and his colony’s first capital. The site is where the most famous letter in Texas history, Victory or Death, written in 1836 by William Travis, was printed with handset type and distributed throughout the city upon arriving from the Alamo, where Texian soldiers held out for 13 days against Mexican Army soldiers led by General Santa Anna. The letter was printed in the local newspaper on March 5, the day before the Alamo fell. The original letter is on display for the first time at the Alamo in San Antonio through March 7.
    Not far from San Felipe, Washington-on-the-Brazos State Historic Site features interactive exhibits and a replica of Independence Hall, which was the site of the declaration signing.
    In Goliad, visit the National Historic Landmark La Bahia, where Col. James Fannin and more than 300 of his troops were massacred on March 27, 1836.
    These are just a sampling of the sites and skirmishes to be explored in the THC’s Texas Independence Trail Region brochure. Visit www.texastimetravel.com to download a copy of the brochure.

I can say I'm doing my part. I'm in San Antonio and went to the Alamo today and saw the "Travis letter" and one of the original copies of the Texas D.O.I.
    It was very moving to look at the Travis letter and reflect on the fact that it was penned on that very spot 177 years ago.
    Victory or Death!
    "It is in truth not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself."

Comment

Going to Austin tomorrow to argue with the legislature. Doing my part.
      I wear a Fez. Fez-es are cool

Comment

I'll sport some Texas gear while I'm in NJ.

Comment

1/2 priced texas drafts on saturday at World of Beer.

Saturday, March 2nd

Come celebrate Texas Independence Day with us!! We will be pouring 1/2 off all Texas drafts all day long!!!! Lot's of brews from great, local Texas craft breweries lined up, including beers from :

(512) Brewing (Austin)
          Deep Ellum Brewing Co. (Dallas)
          Four Corners (Dallas)
          Lakewood (Garland)
          Live Oak (Austin)
          Lone Pint Brewing (Magnolia)
          No Label (Katy)
          Peticolas (Dallas)
          Rahr & Sons (Fort Worth)
          Ranger Creek Brewing (San Antonio)
          Real Ale (Blanco)
          Revolver (Granbury)
          Rogness Brewing Co. (Pflugerville)
          Saint Arnold (Houston)
          Southern Star (Conroe)
          HD Parts
          paul@maverickhd.com

Comment

I'm in Costa Rica and celebrating. I need to hurry up and go back home.

Comment

SUCCEED!!!!!!!!!!

Happy BDay Texas. God damn I'm proud to be a Texan!
              Originally posted by Taya Kyle, American Gun
              There comes a time when honest debate, serious diplomatic efforts, and logical arguments have been exhausted and only men and women willing to take up arms against evil will suffice to save the freedom of a nation or continent.

Comment

TEXAS..LOVE IT OR LEAVE IT!

Comment

Working...
                X