Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Throwback knowledge of the day - Duck Hunt

How Did the Duck Hunt Gun Work?

If you’re a geek of a certain age, a good portion of your childhood probably revolved around sitting too close to the TV, clutching a plastic safety cone-colored hand gun and blasting waterfowl out of a pixilated sky in Duck Hunt (also, trying to blow that dog’s head off when he laughed at you). The Duck Hunt gun, officially called the Nintendo Entertainment System (NES) Zapper, seems downright primitive next to the Nintendo’s Wii and Microsoft’s Kinect, but in the late 80s, it filled plenty of young heads with wonder. How did that thing work?
    Annie get your Zapper

The Zapper’s ancestry goes back to the mid 1930s, when the first so-called “light guns” appeared after the development of light-sensing vacuum tubes. In the first light gun game, Ray-O-Lite (developed in 1936 by Seeburg, a company that made parts and systems for jukeboxes), players shot at small moving targets mounted with light sensors using a gun that emitted a beam of light. When the beam struck a sensor, the targets – ducks, coincidentally – registered the “hit” and a point was scored.

Light guns hit home video game consoles with Shooting Gallery on the Magnavox Odyssey in 1972. Because the included shotgun-style light gun was only usable on a Magnavox television, the game flopped. The Nintendo Entertainment System (NES) Zapper then fell into the hands of American kids in October 1985, when it was released in a bundle with the NES, a controller and a few games. Early versions of the peripheral were dark gray, but the color of the sci-fi ray gun-inspired Zapper was changed a few years later when a federal regulation required that toy and imitation firearms be “blaze orange” (color #12199, to be exact) so they wouldn’t be mistaken for the real deal.

While there were a number of Zapper-compatible games released for the NES (when I was a kid and my dad worked from home, we wasted plenty of afternoons away playing Hogan’s Alley), most lived in the shadow of the iconic Duck Hunt, the most recognizable and popular Zapper game.

While older light guns like the Ray-O-Lite rifle emitted beams of light, the Zapper and many other recent light guns work by receiving light through a photodiode on or in the barrel and using that light to figure out where on the TV screen you're aiming.

When you point at a duck and pull the trigger, the computer in the NES blacks out the screen and the Zapper diode begins reception. Then, the computer flashes a solid white block around the targets you’re supposed to be shooting at. The photodiode in the Zapper detects the change in light intensity and tells the computer that it’s pointed at a lit target block — in others words, you should get a point because you hit a target. In the event of multiple targets, a white block is drawn around each potential target one at a time. The diode’s reception of light combined with the sequence of the drawing of the targets lets the computer know that you hit a target and which one it was. Of course, when you’re playing the game, you don’t notice the blackout and the targets flashing because it all happens in a fraction of a second.

This target flashing method helped Nintendo overcome a weakness of older light gun games: cheaters racking up high scores by pointing the gun at a steady light source, like a lamp, and hitting the first target right out of the gate.

If you’re hungry for a more technical depth, check out Nintendo's 1989 patent on the Zapper technology

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

And now you know.

The 'Duck Hunt' gun, officially called the NES Zapper, seems downright primitive next to today's technology. But in the late '80s, it filled plenty of young heads with wonder.

Rad!
    ZOMBIE REAGAN FOR PRESIDENT 2016!!! heh

Comment

Awesome
      Originally posted by Broncojohnny
      HOORAY ME and FUCK YOU!

Comment

COOL! wish i woulda known the lamp trick in 2nd grade.
        THE BAD HOMBRE

Comment

Awesome find, thanks for posting.

Comment

I bought an NES back in the 80's, after saving every every dime I got for almost a year, and it came with the Duck Hunt game. I played it for several hours straight that first day. The next day I couldn't figure out why I was having pains in my right forearm, until I got home from school and pulled the trigger the first time. 25 years later I still remember that. Damn that hurt!

Comment

I actually did the lamp trick when I was playing that game against my dad. I bet him that I could get a higher score with my eyes closed.
              Originally posted by Theodore Roosevelt
              It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming...

Comment

Originally posted by Ben G View Post
                I actually did the lamp trick when I was playing that game against my dad. I bet him that I could get a higher score with my eyes closed.
                Wat?
                This target flashing method helped Nintendo overcome a weakness of older light gun games: cheaters racking up high scores by pointing the gun at a steady light source, like a lamp, and hitting the first target right out of the gate.
                Originally posted by Broncojohnny
                HOORAY ME and FUCK YOU!

Comment

Originally posted by naynay View Post
                  COOL! wish i woulda known the lamp trick in 2nd grade.
                  You mean the lamp trick that no longer worked? That would have been about as useful as your nuthugging of DOCHTR is.

Comment

Still got mine and my kids and I get on it everynow and then.
                    WRX

Comment

Originally posted by Nash B. View Post
                      Wat?
                      It was the first generation of it.
                      Originally posted by Theodore Roosevelt
                      It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming...

Comment

In the same vein, Robbie the robot was the bigget piece of crap ever, it was fun playing with the gyroscopes, but he rarely worked right with the games.

Because of this I was highly sceptical when the Wii cam out, but fortunately technology has progressed ALOT since those days.

Comment

Originally posted by Slowhand View Post
                          You mean the lamp trick that no longer worked? That would have been about as useful as your nuthugging of DOCHTR is.

you sure thats how you spell his screen name? i cant fully see it from down here on his nuts but i think you got some letters turned around.

now, not all at once, but SLOWHANDedly, slide all 10" of my dick back outta your throat, and please dont get any dribble on my blue suede pumas.

lemme get you a napkin!
                          THE BAD HOMBRE

Comment

Originally posted by Big A View Post
                            In the same vein, Robbie the robot was the bigget piece of crap ever,
                            R.O.B. - Robotic Operating Buddy, but yeah, he sucked. I wasted $50 extra on that piece of shit.
                            Originally posted by davbrucas
                            I want to like Slow99 since people I know say he's a good guy, but just about everything he posts is condescending and passive aggressive.

Most people I talk to have nothing but good things to say about you, but you sure come across as a condescending prick. Do you have an inferiority complex you've attempted to overcome through overachievement? Or were you fondled as a child?

You and slow99 should date. You both have passive aggressiveness down pat.

Comment

That fucking laughing dog makes me want to explode.. it used to piss me off so badly i would shoot him, then get pissed off again for wasting a fucking round.

Comment

Working...
                              X