eco-boost v6 vs. 5.0 V8

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• eco-boost v6 vs. 5.0 V8

Pros and Cons needed for both. looking to get into a crew cab F-150 later this week and wanted to weigh the options between the two. Any input form either owners would be appreciated.

For all those people who find it more convenient to bother you with their question rather than to Google it for themselves.

Comment

2013 FX2 with 5.0. Test drove the Eco and couldn't really feel a difference, espeically not enough of one to justify the extra cost. More things to go wrong on the Eco compared to a N/A V8... I'm getting just as good gas mileage as the claimed milage on the Eco's as well.

Highway trips are 21, Overall average this last tank, with some highway and city/traffic driving is 18.6...
      "Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes...Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man." - Thomas Jefferson, 1776

Comment

Got mine April 2012 It has 55,000 miles on it .. Had coil packs replaced twice , driveshaft once now..it runs like crap again milage is awful , worse than before ( never, ever got close to 22 mpg as advertised ) took it a to a speciality shop to see if he can help says, sure .. Ford knows there is a
        WRX

Comment

The ecoboost has more problems than the 5.0, wait till the next generation f-150 if you want one. The 5.0 sounds awesome and has plenty of power though.

Comment

both are junk haha

Comment

Originally posted by 2K2 LS1 View Post
              Pros and Cons needed for both. looking to get into a crew cab F-150 later this week and wanted to weigh the options between the two. Any input form either owners would be appreciated.
              You going to tow with it?????

Yes - Ecoboost

No - 5.0l

This is from someone who tested both on a 30ft travel trailer. (The Ecoboost just shines in towing)

However if not towing get the 5.0 (hate to say this also but test drive the Ram hemi trucks)

Comment

Originally posted by Dacotua View Post

Yes - Ecoboost

No - 5.0l

This is from someone who tested both on a 30ft travel trailer. (The Ecoboost just shines in towing)

However if not towing get the 5.0 (hate to say this also but test drive the Ram hemi trucks)
                This, I test drove a hemi ram recently and came away very impressed, I am a diehard Ford guy but the Ram is a nice ride.
                1965 Ford Falcon Pro-Touring Project
                TCI F/R Suspension, 3V-4.6 & TR3560, LT III Wheels

sigpic
                Work In Progress

Comment

Originally posted by lowfast View Post
                  This, I test drove a hemi ram recently and came away very impressed, I am a diehard Ford guy but the Ram is a nice ride.
                  I was just the opposite but the last hemi truck i drove was 2009.
                  2014 GT
                  2013 FX2 ecoboost

Comment

Originally posted by Dacotua View Post

Yes - Ecoboost

No - 5.0l

I would think that if towing a 30ft travel trailer or things of similar weight is going to be somewhat a consistent thing, then an f150 shouldn't even be on the table. Should be looking at F250 or F350 with power stroke...
                    "Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes...Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man." - Thomas Jefferson, 1776

Comment

Dude I know picked up an Ecoboost F150, and is only seeing 13-15 mpg mixed. He's pissed! Not sure wtf the problem is.

Comment

I avg around 17 in my 5.0 and I drive in rush hour on 75 from mckinney to downtown dallas.

I've already put a 40 series flowmaster si/do on mine and really like the sound.
                        2013 F150 STX Supercab 5.0L w/3.55 LSD
                        1990 GT Convertible

Comment

Originally posted by jluv View Post
                          Dude I know picked up an Ecoboost F150, and is only seeing 13-15 mpg mixed. He's pissed! Not sure wtf the problem is.
                          Amy has a 2012 f150 4x4 crew with ecoboost, and that's about what she's been getting. I can do much better when I drive, but it's still nowhere near my f250 crew 4x4 diesel (2011)...I'm getting 18.5+ mpg, hand calculated, in mine. I've never hand calc'd the numbers on her ecoboost, but the computer shows 13-14 mpg when she drives. It usually shows 17+mpg when I drive. She's got that lead foot...

Comment

Tundra.
                            Originally posted by Buzzo
                            Some dudes jump out of airplanes, I fuck hookers without condoms.

sigpic

Comment

That's the issue with turbo engines... It will get great mpg if you're careful and keep it out of the boost, spool up the turbos and it is going to drink. The thing makes more power over a broader RPM range compared to the 5.0 and it takes fuel to make power. So if you have a heavy foot you will probably do better with 5.0

Comment

Working...
                              X