diesel gurus? opinions please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• diesel gurus? opinions please

If you remember from my previous posts I was looking of for a diesel for the last few months and I finally found a truck in Waco I would be interested in.

Initial thoughts on this truck?

Its pretty much what I want in a diesel; stick, 4x4, extended cab, short bed... but the more reading I do the more I learn that these trucks (Dodge Cummins) aren't the end all be all of reliability people make them out to be. What are common problems to look for on these 2003+ trucks? I've heard the front end on these things can be VERY problematic.

I want a truck for very occasional towing, a car trailer around 5k lbs max, and mostly as a versatile daily driver to replace my GTO. What kind of mileage does a 4x4 stick cummins get?

TIA
    1971 Ford Torino - Time to go bigger and better.

2011 F150 Limited - Stock with a 6.2

Originally posted by Torinoman View Post
    If you remember from my previous posts I was looking of for a diesel for the last few months and I finally found a truck in Waco I would be interested in.

Initial thoughts on this truck?

Its pretty much what I want in a diesel; stick, 4x4, extended cab, short bed... but the more reading I do the more I learn that these trucks (Dodge Cummins) aren't the end all be all of reliability people make them out to be. What are common problems to look for on these 2003+ trucks? I've heard the front end on these things can be VERY problematic.

I want a truck for very occasional towing, a car trailer around 5k lbs max, and mostly as a versatile daily driver to replace my GTO. What kind of mileage does a 4x4 stick cummins get?

TIA
    i have a 2005 4x4 quad cab dodge cummins with an auto, and i regularly get 17+ mpg...i can get over 20mpg on the hwy (probably more if i drove 60mph). i don't really actively "try" to get great mileage, so i'm sure that there are others that get much better than i do. i have around 95k miles, and the only issue that i've had is an injector line busting...it was a cheap/easy fix, and i probably should have checked to make sure that it was tight, so it didn't happen...it's apparently a common issue.

Comment

2006 CTD 4x4 Auto Crew cab with 150k 18-20mpg. No big issues to date.

Comment

04. 160kish miles. Water pump went otu at 100k, lift pump at 150k. About it for major shit.

Comment

The main thing you need to check is the fuel and the intake. Pull the intake to the turbo and see if it has lots of dirt in it. Also if the turbo looks rough or polished on the tips of the blades it can be a sign of eatin a lot of dirt. The dirt eats the rings out of them. You can also check for blowby after you drive it and its fully warm pull the oil cap at idle and it shouldn't puff much if any out the top. Ive seen real bad ones blow the cap out of the cover when you losen it. Pull the fuel filter and look in the bowl with a light. If you find metal or a pile of debris you dont want it either. I put countless injectors in the common rail trucks when I worked for the dealer because of bad fuel. They can not handle trash in the fuel at all. The front ends do wear some but that is just something your have to be prepared for with a diesel. Its carrying around over a thousand pounds every day. Im am def a cummins fan after working on the for a long time. I used to say I would never own a dodge and now have had mine for several years and over 100k. It has 225k now. When you get one I highly suggest a fuel system even if you dont plan on makin a lot of power to make sure you have clean fuel. One that filters to two microns would be ideal. The factory one only filters 5-7 and aftermarket are even worse. The injectors have a 3 micron edge filter so havin it filterd smaller than that will save your injectors.
          2000 Dodge 4x4 qclb Sport 4'' lift and 35's

Comment

Little pricey for an 03 model IMO

Comment

Lucky, formulate your post with paragraphs. It'll make the read much less of an ass whip.

Comment

Originally posted by Lucky View Post
                The main thing you need to check is the fuel and the intake. Pull the intake to the turbo and see if it has lots of dirt in it. Also if the turbo looks rough or polished on the tips of the blades it can be a sign of eatin a lot of dirt. The dirt eats the rings out of them. You can also check for blowby after you drive it and its fully warm pull the oil cap at idle and it shouldn't puff much if any out the top. Ive seen real bad ones blow the cap out of the cover when you losen it. Pull the fuel filter and look in the bowl with a light. If you find metal or a pile of debris you dont want it either. I put countless injectors in the common rail trucks when I worked for the dealer because of bad fuel. They can not handle trash in the fuel at all. The front ends do wear some but that is just something your have to be prepared for with a diesel. Its carrying around over a thousand pounds every day. Im am def a cummins fan after working on the for a long time. I used to say I would never own a dodge and now have had mine for several years and over 100k. It has 225k now. When you get one I highly suggest a fuel system even if you dont plan on makin a lot of power to make sure you have clean fuel. One that filters to two microns would be ideal. The factory one only filters 5-7 and aftermarket are even worse. The injectors have a 3 micron edge filter so havin it filterd smaller than that will save your injectors.

Fuel filtration is a big deal on all common rail systems (HPCR, MCRS, XPI).

The requirement for the HPCR ISB07 (non-Dodge 6.7L) is 3 micron on-engine. That is got relaxed recently to 5 micron... but it's still a huge deal. Big enough that on some engines simply loosening a fitting (not even removing, just loosening) past the on-engine filter will completely void the fuel system warranty.

Comment

Originally posted by Lucky View Post
                  thanks for the tips!!! where is the fuel filter on these trucks? what do you mean by look in the bowl? sorry, kind of a dodge diesel newb.

Originally posted by Stunter Bob View Post
                  yeah, it seems like the prices on these trucks have gone up?? its tough to find a nice truck optioned the way you want it and priced fairly.

Comment

Ask Cooter, He has an 03 I bet he would sell ya!

Comment

ha, he commented in my other thread but never mentioned selling his... did he list it recently or are you just pranking me?

Comment

Originally posted by Torinoman View Post
                        thanks for the tips!!! where is the fuel filter on these trucks? what do you mean by look in the bowl? sorry, kind of a dodge diesel newb.

yeah, it seems like the prices on these trucks have gone up?? its tough to find a nice truck optioned the way you want it and priced fairly.

It is on the driver side of the engine behind and down of the intake tube. Its a big plastic cap that takes a 1 1/8 socket or wrench. The bowl is what that cap screws onto and filter sits in.
                        2000 Dodge 4x4 qclb Sport 4'' lift and 35's

Comment

here's an almost (auto vs stick) identical truck with almost the same mileage for almost the exact same price.

maybe that dealer price isn't too far off?

Comment

Kinda pricey for a basic truck.
                            2010 F-350 6.4L SRW CC 4X4

Spartan tunes, 5 inch flo-pro, 4 inch down pipe, cold side piping, AFE stage 2 CAI, EGR delete, Air Dog II

2012 Mustang 5.0 GT Stock........for now.

Comment

Originally posted by Stunter Bob View Post
                              x2

Comment

Working...
                              X