Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cal Poly Study: Shaving Makes Cyclists Slower. Kind of.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cal Poly Study: Shaving Makes Cyclists Slower. Kind of.

With bike companies looking for any aero advantage available, new research into cycling aerodynamics is increasingly turning conventional wisdom on its head. Kamm tail aero shapes found on Cervelo’s new Rca, the Trek Speed Concept, and the Scott Foil demonstrate that when it comes to aerodynamics, looks can be deceiving.

California Polytechnic State University (Cal Poly) in our hometown of San Luis Obispo, California has just released a new aerodynamic study that is likely to create a revolution in the cycling world. While investigating low-speed boundary layer aerodynamics, cyclists in the graduate aerospace engineering program asked the question, “Are shaved bodies more aerodynamic than hairy ones?” According to the study, the short answer is, “no.” But the long answer is a bit more complicated and highly nuanced.

When it comes to body hair and aerodynamics, it is not a case of ‘if some is good, then more is better.’ The study showed an optimal length of 16mm with an improved aerodynamic efficiency range of 15-25 watts depending on the size of the rider. However, at hair length exceeding 22mm, wind tunnel data revealed drag increases at an exponential rate. Hair shorter than 7mm offered significantly lower efficiency improvements.

The aerodynamic benefits of hair are the result of a principle called the “Stokes Boundary Layer Effect.” In a nutshell, the Stokes principle posits that a thin layer of turbulent gas or fluid on the surface of a body passing through it will serve to smooth the flow of gas or fluid thereby generating laminar flow. This is the principle behind the patented dimpling found on Zipp’s rims and Louis Garneua’s Vorttice helmet. Mother nature appeared to have this principle in mind as fast moving sea mammals evolved with an optimized hair length and orientation. Humans are no exception.

Photo credit: Kaori Photo

Recent Cal Poly graduate and Art’s Cyclery employee Jerald Westendorf served as one of the participants in the wind tunnel component of the study. Jerald tested a number of different hair lengths and remarked that his experience out on the road with the aid of a power meter and GPS supported the study’s conclusions. Jerald is also involved in a second study underway in the Cal Poly Kinesiology Department testing the thermal efficiency and wicking benefits offered by hair. While this study is far from finished, initial findings are promising.

Will we see bearded riders in the grand tours this year? Only time will tell. Getting riders to reject the sport’s traditional shaved leg aesthetic will certainly be an uphill battle for team managers. If it does happen, it represents a coup for recumbent riders across the world that have long shunned convention, cherishing their hair in the quest for ultimate efficiency.

Yeah, I don't shave shit but my face (which is fucking dimpled enough already, thanks acne).

Comment

It was never about "aerodynamics" for me, but there were several other reasons. In the event of a crash (mountain or road) it's much easier to treat road-rash without hair in the way. It's easier to apply sun block or analgesics for sore muscles, and easier to remove them. It's especially easier to clean up after mountain biking.

Comment

My dad was a big roadie back when I was a kid, I always remembered him having shaved legs. Now that I am getting into the sport, I've wondered what the real benefit actually was.
        Originally posted by Leah
        Best balls I've had in my mouth in a while.

Comment

Originally posted by black2002ls View Post
          My dad was a big roadie back when I was a kid, I always remembered him having shaved legs. Now that I am getting into the sport, I've wondered what the real benefit actually was.
          Check post #3 ^

Comment

Originally posted by Vertnut View Post
            It was never about "aerodynamics" for me, but there were several other reasons. In the event of a crash (mountain or road) it's much easier to treat road-rash without hair in the way. It's easier to apply sun block or analgesics for sore muscles, and easier to remove them. It's especially easier to clean up after mountain biking.
            We had this discussion yesterday. Intellectuals and theory > laymen and real world experience
            Originally posted by Broncojohnny
            HOORAY ME and FUCK YOU!

Comment

Working...
            X