F1 Rumored to Replace IndyCar at Long Beach

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• F1 Rumored to Replace IndyCar at Long Beach

This comes as a bit of a shock. Just a rumor at this point (reported by Keith Collantine, though, who is generally reliable in F1 news circles), but if Bernie decides it's going to happen, then Bernie might just make it happen. It would make for three US F1 races, tied for the most ever US races held in one season (1982). Interesting development, even if far fetched.

Could Formula One return to Long Beach in place of IndyCar in the near future?

Bernie Ecclestone is rumoured to be considering a return to the circuit which Formula One last visited in 1983 according to a report by Gordon Kirby in MotorSport.

Ecclestone is keen to have at least one more race in the USA in addition to the round at the Circuit of the Americas in Austin, Texas. A street race in New Jersey was supposed to appear on the F1 calendar this year but has been postponed to 2014.

“The Ecclestone name is widely-known in LA, well beyond motor racing’s narrow corridors, and it seems all but inevitable that Bernie will buy the Long Beach GP for F1’s return to Southern California in 2015,” says Kirby.

One stumbling block to a return to Long Beach for F1 would be the length of the circuit. At 1.968 miles it would need to be extended by at least 0.2 miles to reach the minimum length required for new Formula One circuits.

Formula One race at Long Beach from 1976 to 1983 before Ecclestone pulled the race having failed to agree financial terms with promoter Chris Pook.

IndyCar racing in its various guises has taken place at the track ever since and the third round of the 2013 IndyCar series is set to take place there this weekend. But its contract with the circuit is due for renewal next year.

in before Grape says you're an idiot and it will never happen.

Comment

Originally posted by Shorty View Post
      in before Grape says you're an idiot and it will never happen.
      Still can't believe the USGP didn't happen. I could have sworn that I was there and saw a race and everything, but I guess it was just a nasty acid flashback :/

Comment

This, though, is pure conjecture at this point.

Also, in Grape's defense, the management at Circuit of the Americas is a bunch of fuckwadded morons from the horse racing industry that have absolutely no clue what they're doing. Still doesn't make him any less wrong, though.

Comment

F1 sucks, Texas Raceway FTW.
          Interested in being a VIP member and donating to the site? Click here http://dfwmustangs.net/forums/payments.php

Comment

i've said it a zillion times, i'm shocked they got the race done in austin and everybody i spoke to said they had a great time. That being said, bernie doesn't pay for anything, you pay him to bring his circus to your tent.
            pinto gt with wood trim

Comment

Originally posted by Grape View Post
              i've said it a zillion times, i'm shocked they got the race done in austin and everybody i spoke to said they had a great time. That being said, bernie doesn't pay for anything, you pay him to bring his circus to your tent.
              Honestly, after seeing how management has handled everything post-USGP, I'm amazed that they've been able to get anything done. The management team there is borderline retarded, and it's cause for serious reservations about the long-term viability of that track, even if you set aside the crushing debt and F1 fees.

Comment

Originally posted by Slowhand View Post
                Honestly, after seeing how management has handled everything post-USGP, I'm amazed that they've been able to get anything done. The management team there is borderline retarded, and it's cause for serious reservations about the long-term viability of that track, even if you set aside the crushing debt and F1 fees.
                Apparently everybody had a great time at the f1 event, however its gonna take 10x the spectators to make that event profitable. If it was a small business operating without state tax money for investment, somebodys asshole would still be burning after that little venture, let alone the cost to build the facility.

The long beach deal is about the most successful event on indycars schedule, for the promotor. An indycar race will cost you a million bucks, plus you get some tv money back. F1 costs 25 mil and bernie divides the tv money up for the teams. It just doesnt make good business sense to invest another $24,000,000 into your already successful party, with the chance of maybe 20,000 extra spectators. Not to mention, long beach is typically at capacity. And of course bernie wants 3 races in america, why make 25 mil for 1 event when you can consolodate shipping and make 75 mil for 3 events.
                Last edited by Grape; 04-17-2013, 07:47 AM.
                pinto gt with wood trim

Comment

Working...
                X