FOR SALE: 800 mph jet powered land speed racer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FOR SALE: 800 mph jet powered land speed racer

When those quarterly bonus checks roll in don't forget to treat yourself to something fun this time.

The car was built by Craig Breedlove, run to 675 back in the '90s, then sold to Steve Fossett.

When Fossett died in that plane crash in '07 the project was abandoned. Their loss is your gain! They are accepting offers >$3MM.

Tell Andy Green to fuck off and bring that record back to the US where it belongs!

"buyer gets the entire workshop, drawings, spares, tools, jigs and even the truck needed to haul Target 800 MPH to the dry lake bed of your choice."

Developed from landspeed legend Craig Breedlove's promising 1996-1997 'Spirit of America - Sonic Arrow' by the late Steve Fossett's Reno, Nevada-based team during 2006-2007. Fossett purchased the un-fulfilled project in July, 2006 from Breedlove with an initial record target speed of 800 mph, with eventual development planned for speeds of 900 mph+. The ‘Target 800 mph’ team was nearing testing phase at Bonneville, Utah or the dry lakes of California when Steve was killed in the crash of his light aircraft in September, 2007.

Initial record runs were planned for a dry lake in northern Nevada in spring, 2008. A logistical exercise for loading, transport, assembly etc was conducted by the team o n the Black Rock Desert in October, 2007. That is the source of the attached photos (all images © Stuart Radnofsky / Project 100 - 2007). Further engine tests / team exercises were conducted in early 2008 at El Mirage before the project was eventually shut down, with all elements carefully packed and mothballed in mid-2008.

The car has been rebuilt and re-wired from the ground up with a longer wheelbase, wider track and modified aerodynamics, including lengthened wheel covers and parachute assembly and no dorsal fin. The braking parachute and its deployment system were also completely re-designed

FOR SALE
    We are selling the complete project outright. Included in the sale will be the car plus all designs and drawings, data and other documentation, all workshop and operations elements, including special tools and jigs, extensive spares, custom loading and assembly hardware, modified race transporter trailer and tractor, catering transporter and tractor, pickup truck and more.

Over US$ 4 million is invested in this project. Serious offers (principals only) are invited

Contact Stuart Radnofsky, Director, Project 100 Communications Ltd, Tel +44 (0)1727 836238, Fax +44 (0)1727 869142, E-mail info@project100.com

THE CAR
    Powered by a single modified S&S LM1500 (a 'land / marine' powerplant derived from the famed General Electric J-79 turbojet as used in the USAF Phantom II fighter-bomber) the engine generates over 18,400 lbs of supersonic thrust with afterburner and water injection. The car is constructed of steel tubing with stressed aluminum skin, the driver compartment being made of carbon/Kevlar/glass fiber composite.

Although at first glance a tricycle layout, the car actually runs on 4 wheels, the front pair closely situated to allow a smaller frontal area and thus reducing drag, the rear pair on a wide track for stability. Primary deceleration is, naturally, by parachute, with a ‘friction ski’ brake for final stopping power.

Overall length is 48 ft (14.63 m); overall width 10 ft 6 inches (3.20 m).
    Overall weight (wet) is just over 9,000 lbs, achieving a thrust to weight ratio better than any modern jet fighter.

ENGINE: S&S LM-1500 / J-79
    • Supplied by: S&S Turbine Services Ltd
    • Fuel Capacity: 105.0 gallons
    • Thrust: 18,400 lb (36,800 hp) with afterburner and water injection
    • Oil capacity: 2.5 gallons

CONSTRUCTION
    • Steel tube frame with stressed aluminum skin
    • Carbon / Kevlar / Glass fiber composite driver capsule, engine inlets, and rear wheel fairings
    • Tires: Filament-wound carbon/glass composite material with rubberized epoxy matrix
    • Wheels: Aluminum billet hub, special alloy spun disk heat treated, steel fastened
    • Wheel bearings: Tapered rollers
    • Suspension / front: coil over hydraulic shocks
    • Suspension / rear: variable deflection beam
    • Steering: worm and sector
    • Parachutes: mortar deployed, supersonic capable
    • Windshield: Lexan
    • Electrical Power: deep cycle batteries, 28V system

POTENTIAL

The data below was logged from one of Craig Breedlove’s actual 1996 runs reaching 675 mph. Extrapolations from this data project a potential top speed of 850-900 mph.

looks like a cool daily.
    "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

steve fossett is a man that knew how to live!

god bless.
      It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men -Frederick Douglass

Comment

I doubt that will ever sell...

Comment

Want.

Comment

They seem to be short 36k hp on the title?
            sigpic18 F150 Supercrew - daily
            17 F150 Supercrew - totaled Dec 12, 2018
            13 DIB Premium GT, M6, Track Pack, Glass Roof, Nav, Recaros - Sold
            86 SVO - Sold
            '03 F150 Supercrew - Sold
            01 TJ - new toy - Sold
            65 F100 (460 + C6) - Sold

Comment

Originally posted by Chas_svo View Post
              They seem to be short 36k hp on the title?
              That's in miles per hour, not horsepower.

Comment

So it's a plane that can't fly for how much?????
                Interested in being a VIP member and donating to the site? Click here http://dfwmustangs.net/forums/payments.php

Comment

Looks slow.

Comment

I'd be interested, but ya know, I keep my money in accounts, and I gotta transfer...

Comment

Do not think I want to go that fast rollin on the ground. Screw that.

Would be a hella way to go out though.

Comment

I'd pull a Hammond in about 300ft.

Comment

Man I had one of these back when I was 23

Comment

Originally posted by Randy View Post
                            Man I had one of these back when I was 23
                            solid.
                            "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

Originally posted by ELVIS View Post
                              steve fossett is a man that knew how to live!

god bless.
                              That's the damn truth

Comment

Working...
                              X