Netflix Removes 1,800 titles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Netflix Removes 1,800 titles

FORTUNE -- One of the most frequent complaints about Netflix (fair or not) is the supposed paucity of titles available for streaming. That complaint is about to get louder and more frequent because about 1,800 titles will be pulled because Netflix's (NFLX) licensing agreements for them are expiring today.

It's being called "The Great Netflix Purge" and "Streamageddon" (sometimes by the same publication). Titles from Warner Bros., MGM, and Universal will vanish from the service today. Netflix is pooh-poohing it, of course, sending out statements to argue that it's all part of the "churn" that Netflix has always been subject to as it lets some licensing deals go while signing new ones. The company told The Verge that the number of titles the streaming service carries isn't all that important anyway. Netflix's mission, the statement said, is not to be a "broad distributor," but rather an "expert programmer."

Part of that expert programming, of course, is the original shows Netflix is producing, like Arrested Development and House of Cards. As for its catalog, the company accurately notes that even as many titles are expiring, new ones are being added. Even today, some 500 new titles are being made available. This "ebb and flow happens all the time," the company said.

But this is more ebb and less flow than usual, one that viewers are much more likely to notice, and complain about.

None of this, though, seems to be stopping the company's momentum. Netflix announced a week ago that it had attracted more than 2 million new domestic subscribers in its first quarter, substantially besting analysts' guesses. Another million were added in foreign markets. Analysts attribute the gains largely to the original programming, particularly House of Cards. A large majority of the people who signed up for a free trial in order to watch that series have -- so far -- stayed with Netflix. The company now boasts 29.2 million U.S. customers. CEO Reed Hastings says his goal is for that number to reach 90 million. And the service does, after all, offer about 75,000titles to choose from.

The markets don't seem particularly fazed by the "purge," either. Shares are down today -- an off day for the market -- but only by about 1.5%. At their midday price of $212.65, shares are still 30% higher than they were just before the company announced its earnings and subscriber numbers a week ago. Shares have risen by 161% over the past year. It would seem that the company has put its stumbles of a couple of years ago fully behind it.
    Originally posted by talisman
    I wonder if there will be a new character that specializes in bjj and passive agressive comebacks?
    Originally posted by AdamLX
    If there was, I wouldn't pick it because it would probably just keep leaving the game and then coming back like nothing happened.
    Originally posted by Broncojohnny
    Because fuck you, that's why
    Originally posted by 80coupe
    nice dick, Idrivea4banger
    Originally posted by Rick Modena
    ......and idrivea4banger is a real person.
    Originally posted by Jester
    Man ive always wanted to smoke a bowl with you. Just seem like a cool cat.

Their selection already sucks, this won't help matters.

Comment

DAMN YOU NETFLIX!!!! Like when they pulled Groundhog's Day, the DAY BEFORE GROUNDHOG'S DAY WTF!!!

Comment

1800 channels and not one show I want to watch.
        Ded

Comment

It seems like the selection is "churning" slower with every year. I had titles in my list that have been there for years.

I especially liked when they pulled Married with Children while I was in the middle of watching it, a few weeks after they put it up. Netflix just seems to emanate incompetence with every decision.
          "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
          "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

Eh, ain't shit I want to see out there that I cannot find elsewhere. My account is used by the kids and other family.

Comment

I have only added maybe 5 movies to my que in over 6 months. I havent seen their selection expand either. Plus the APP is a pain in the ass when it doesnt want to load up a movie or show.
              Originally posted by talisman
              I wonder if there will be a new character that specializes in bjj and passive agressive comebacks?
              Originally posted by AdamLX
              If there was, I wouldn't pick it because it would probably just keep leaving the game and then coming back like nothing happened.
              Originally posted by Broncojohnny
              Because fuck you, that's why
              Originally posted by 80coupe
              nice dick, Idrivea4banger
              Originally posted by Rick Modena
              ......and idrivea4banger is a real person.
              Originally posted by Jester
              Man ive always wanted to smoke a bowl with you. Just seem like a cool cat.

Comment

Originally posted by 94form2000z View Post
                Eh, ain't shit I want to see out there that I cannot find elsewhere. My account is used by the kids and other family.
                Maybe not much longer. I was reading they may limit the use to 2 active accounts, or pay a little more and get a family plan, like up to 4 devices or something. I can search for it, but I'm too lazy right now.

Comment

Originally posted by yellowstang View Post
                  Maybe not much longer. I was reading they may limit the use to 2 active accounts, or pay a little more and get a family plan, like up to 4 devices or something. I can search for it, but I'm too lazy right now.
                  yeah, no worries. Don't think they can stop you from using your account when you go somewhere and I doubt any of them use it at the same time.

Comment

Originally posted by yellowstang View Post
                    Heck I got one account in use by a least 5 users in my house. We are typically not all streaming at one time (not sure you can do that). I also us the same account at my parents or my friends houses

Comment

Originally posted by 95DRGT View Post
                      Heck I got one account in use by a least 5 users in my house. We are typically not all streaming at one time (not sure you can do that). I also us the same account at my parents or my friends houses
                      I think you can stream 2 or even 3 different devices at the same time currently.

I was reading about that limit on some financial website, as a way for them to make more money without increasing prices for everyone, like they did a while back and got so many complaints and cancellation notices. If I remember, they said Netflix was thinking about that internally.

Comment

It's 2

Comment

Odd, I swear I have had 3 going at once. This sucks, I don't "watch" a lot of TV. My norm is to turn it on for background noise because all I hear all day at work is music.

Comment

Unfortunately, Netflix's business model is based on being able to contract with one of the greatest monopolies in the world, Hollywood. The money just isn't there to convince the major picure labels to give up their good films.

Comment

I started watching Goldeneye yesterday.....was going to finish it tonight.

Guess not!

Comment

Working...
                              X