DPD's finest response to armed robbery/shots fired

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DPD's finest response to armed robbery/shots fired

DALLAS — The Dallas Police Department is looking at another possible breakdown in the city's 911 phone system.
    A store owner called police just before 11 p.m. Sunday to say he had just been robbed and shots were fired, but it took Dallas police nearly 90 minutes to respond.
    Four robbers, armed with rifles, walked into Pepe’s Grocery Store in the 4800 block of Bernal Dr. Sunday night. The store owner said they demanded money, so he fired his .38 caliber revolver. Then he called 911.
    He would only talk to News 8 off-camera, because he said he is afraid of retaliation.
    "I called and told them I was robbed, and that I had shot at them and they at me," he said.
    Police records show the call came in at 11:00 p.m. as a robbery, but wasn't answered by officers until 12:15 a.m. When officers finally arrived, the store was locked.
    "We waited until 11:20 [p.m.], but no one came -- took too long," the owner said. "So, we went home and I took a shower and got a call about 1 a.m."
    Officers made the owner come back and show them the surveillance tape. According to court documents, on the tape, officers saw a suspect “...with an assault rifle and saw the store owner fire his weapon."
    The question is, why did it take Dallas police nearly an hour-and-a-half to respond to a robbery with shots fired?
    The 911 system was recently overhauled after a controversial call involving Deanna Cook. Her murder was captured on tape, but it took officers nearly an hour to respond.
    News 8 asked Dallas Mayor Mike Rawlings if he was concerned.
    “Public safety is our number-one concern and our police have got to get there," he said. "So, I want to make sure we examine every detail on this and then we'll take appropriate action, and we need to."
    One of the alleged robbers in this case, Jamarcus Allen, was caught later at an apartment complex not far from the store after a citizen called in a suspicious person. The three other suspects got away.
    News 8 asked Dallas police repeatedly for a response. They issued this statement on Monday evening:
    "The Dallas Police Department is currently looking into all the facts and circumstances surrounding the robbery offense that occurred at Pepe’s Grocery, 4819 Bernal Drive. One suspect is in custody however detectives are pursuing additional leads to determine if other individuals are involved."
    E-mail rlopez@wfaa.com

Im glad i dont live in the city of dallas... Wow.
    ./ ____ _ _\.
    (]]]_ o _[[[)
    \o_FORD_o/
    |__|.....|__|

God closes doors no man can open, God opens doors no man can close. Revelations 3:7-8

It's such a lovely part of West Dallas.

Comment

how about a paragraph break or something bro...something like this.

DALLAS — The Dallas Police Department is looking at another possible breakdown in the city's 911 phone system.

A store owner called police just before 11 p.m. Sunday to say he had just been robbed and shots were fired, but it took Dallas police nearly 90 minutes to respond.

Four robbers, armed with rifles, walked into Pepe’s Grocery Store in the 4800 block of Bernal Dr. Sunday night. The store owner said they demanded money, so he fired his .38 caliber revolver. Then he called 911.

He would only talk to News 8 off-camera, because he said he is afraid of retaliation.

"I called and told them I was robbed, and that I had shot at them and they at me," he said.

Police records show the call came in at 11:00 p.m. as a robbery, but wasn't answered by officers until 12:15 a.m. When officers finally arrived, the store was locked.

"We waited until 11:20 [p.m.], but no one came -- took too long," the owner said. "So, we went home and I took a shower and got a call about 1 a.m."

Officers made the owner come back and show them the surveillance tape. According to court documents, on the tape, officers saw a suspect “...with an assault rifle and saw the store owner fire his weapon."

The question is, why did it take Dallas police nearly an hour-and-a-half to respond to a robbery with shots fired?

The 911 system was recently overhauled after a controversial call involving Deanna Cook. Her murder was captured on tape, but it took officers nearly an hour to respond.

News 8 asked Dallas Mayor Mike Rawlings if he was concerned.

“Public safety is our number-one concern and our police have got to get there," he said. "So, I want to make sure we examine every detail on this and then we'll take appropriate action, and we need to."

One of the alleged robbers in this case, Jamarcus Allen, was caught later at an apartment complex not far from the store after a citizen called in a suspicious person. The three other suspects got away.

News 8 asked Dallas police repeatedly for a response. They issued this statement on Monday evening:

"The Dallas Police Department is currently looking into all the facts and circumstances surrounding the robbery offense that occurred at Pepe’s Grocery, 4819 Bernal Drive. One suspect is in custody however detectives are pursuing additional leads to determine if other individuals are involved."
      sigpic

Comment

Why would private citizens ever need to own a gun?

Comment

get up get, get get down
          911 is a joke in yo town........

Comment

In before Elvis with his Ice-T lyrics

Comment

When seconds count, the police are only 1.5 hours away.

I like how he got tired of waiting, locked the store up, went home and took a shower.
              "Self-government won't work without self-discipline." - Paul Harvey

Comment

Not really surprised, police have no obligation to protect you or do anything really. They are there to make reports and that's about it.
                I wear a Fez. Fez-es are cool

Comment

Originally posted by Forever_frost View Post
                  Not really surprised, police have no obligation to protect you or do anything really. They are there to make reports and that's about it.

Comment

Rofl! Oh you silly little frosty you!

Comment

It's hard to respond to a call that dispatch never sends......

Comment

Originally posted by 03trubluGT View Post
                        It's hard to respond to a call that dispatch never sends......
                        I notice you quoted him, and yet had nothing to refute his statement.

Stevo
                        Originally posted by SSMAN
                        ...Welcome to the land of "Fuck it". No body cares, and if they do, no body cares.

Comment

There is no refuting what I said. Supreme Court has ruled cops are there to write tickets and take statements. They have no obligation to protect you. They can stand there and watch Nay get skull fucked by the Klan and there's nothing you can do to them.

Warren v DC.

THIS is their excuse:

Dallas police have a perfectly reasonable explanation for this. "The caller had a very heavy accent and was speaking very quickly," a DPD spokesman said in an email to media Tuesday evening. "The call taker had a very difficult time understanding the information and did not hear the caller say 'shot' or 'shoot.'"

The department would have come closer to its targeted robbery response time of 12 minutes had there not been a report of a shooting a few blocks away -- the wounded gunman, it turns out, who had been left by his accomplices.

Police released the 911 call, which you can listen to below. It's really garbled. Hats off to the call taker for gleaning there was a robbery. Cho definitely says "shot" a couple of times, but it's easy to miss on the first listen, even if you're listening for it. Hard to fault the troubled 911 call center here.

What that leaves us with is the simple fact that it took Dallas police more than an hour to respond to an armed robbery. That's a long time.

I wear a Fez. Fez-es are cool

Comment

Originally posted by stevo View Post
                            I notice you quoted him, and yet had nothing to refute his statement.

Stevo
                            And what's your point?

Comment

There is no refuting what I said. Supreme Court has ruled cops are there to write tickets and take statements. They have no obligation to protect you. They can stand there and watch Nay get skull fucked by the Klan and there's nothing you can do to them.

Warren v DC.

THIS is their excuse:

Dallas police have a perfectly reasonable explanation for this. "The caller had a very heavy accent and was speaking very quickly," a DPD spokesman said in an email to media Tuesday evening. "The call taker had a very difficult time understanding the information and did not hear the caller say 'shot' or 'shoot.'"

The department would have come closer to its targeted robbery response time of 12 minutes had there not been a report of a shooting a few blocks away -- the wounded gunman, it turns out, who had been left by his accomplices.

Police released the 911 call, which you can listen to below. It's really garbled. Hats off to the call taker for gleaning there was a robbery. Cho definitely says "shot" a couple of times, but it's easy to miss on the first listen, even if you're listening for it. Hard to fault the troubled 911 call center here.

What that leaves us with is the simple fact that it took Dallas police more than an hour to respond to an armed robbery. That's a long time.

http://blogs.dallasobserver.com/unfa...obbery_911.php

Again, that's a communications issue. Don't shoulder the responsibility on the rank and file working officer when they don't get the information.

If you think a robbery call with shots fired would hold in queue, then you're smoking crack.

Comment

Working...
                              X