Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by HarrisonTX View Post
    It depends.
    Some units dont give a fuck what you use.
    the 101st, or 82nd would MANDATE exactly what you wear.
    Some schools require you to make your own.
    I'm asking more for the fact that I'd like to go out and find a used one for a long weekend hike/ruck/whatever you want to call it. Figured the closer I could get to the actual thing the better.

EDIT: basically to be used as a training aid right now to help for later training.
    Last edited by motoman; 01-17-2011, 04:54 PM.
    Originally posted by Jester
    Every time you see the fucking guy....show him your fucking dick.. Just whip out your hawg and wiggle it in his direction, put it away, call him a fuckin meatgazer, shoot him the bird and go inside.
    He will spend the rest of the day wondering if he is gay.
    Originally posted by Denny
    What the fuck ever, you fucking fragile faggot.
    FORGTN SOLD1ER - xbox gamer

Comment

Originally posted by motoman View Post
      Is that the same thing as an ALICE pack?
      I THINK below is what they are issuing now a days. I had the older one and it did not even have a frame. Would wear me out.

Wife got me one below for when I do hiking or camping. DAMNED nice. Framed, fairly light, lower lumbar support, waist strap - section for the issue sleeping bags (have them too). Really nice shit.

Edit: Yes, a civilian looks like a tard using military gear. However, I personally can't figure out what of the civilian gear is worth a shit for the money. I KNOW GI gear is good and it does not cost THAT much. i.e. got the sleeping bag system for 185 - good for -25 and is 3 total bags with a bivy. To do that with civilian shit that is good would be way more.
      Originally posted by MR EDD
      U defend him who use's racial slurs like hes drinking water.

Comment

Originally posted by motoman View Post
        I'm asking more for the fact that I'd like to go out and find a used one for a long weekend hike/ruck/whatever you want to call it. Figured the closer I could get to the actual thing the better.
        MOLLE is the new stuff, ALICE will be cheaper on the wallet and available at every surplus store.

Comment

Originally posted by ceyko View Post
          I THINK below is what they are issuing now a days. I had the older one and it did not even have a frame. Would wear me out.

Wife got me one below for when I do hiking or camping. DAMNED nice. Framed, fairly light, lower lumbar support, waist strap - section for the issue sleeping bags (have them too). Really nice shit.

Edit: Yes, a civilian looks like a tard using military gear. However, I personally can't figure out what of the civilian gear is worth a shit for the money. I KNOW GI gear is good and it does not cost THAT much. i.e. got the sleeping bag system for 185 - good for -25 and is 3 total bags with a bivy. To do that with civilian shit that is good would be way more.
          Do you happen to know where that's located on the armysurpluswarehouse.com site?
          Every time you see the fucking guy....show him your fucking dick.. Just whip out your hawg and wiggle it in his direction, put it away, call him a fuckin meatgazer, shoot him the bird and go inside.

Comment

Can get it cheaper via ebay too. Alot of them up there.

Comment

Established in 1953, Crown Surplus is Canadian owned and family operated across three generations, gear up for your next adventure with the latest in outdoor gear and clothing, camping and tactical equipment, survival essentials, as well as vintage army memorabilia and military surplus. Be ready for anything.

Comment

or
                get an old framed ruck (the real metal frame, not this molle shit)

Weight on your back, is weight on your back.

Hell, get the most uncomfortable system you can, learn to love it, them when you get a nice, comfortable ruck (for free too) you'll be in heaven.

Train for the worst.
                DE OPPRESSO LIBER

Comment

Yup...or you could just hire a midget that you can carry around while he talks shit into your ear. Knock out the physical and mental aspect of training all at once.

Comment

Originally posted by ceyko View Post
                    http://www.armysurpluswarehouse.com/...plete-4903.cfm

Can get it cheaper via ebay too. Alot of them up there.
                    Yeah those two are expensive!

Thinking about picking this one up just to have for hiking/camping.

Comment

• Originally posted by HarrisonTX View Post
                      or
                      get an old framed ruck (the real metal frame, not this molle shit)

Weight on your back, is weight on your back.

Hell, get the most uncomfortable system you can, learn to love it, them when you get a nice, comfortable ruck (for free too) you'll be in heaven.

Train for the worst.
                      Like this?

Comment

• I used a large SOF Ruck from Blackhawk with TONS of success. I basically lived out of it for 2 years as I traveled all around Afghanistan. It is based on the ALICE pack and frame and even uses a standard ALICE frame when you buy it with the straps. It is can carry a ton of stuff but the key to remember is ounces = pounds and my other favorite, you pack it you ruck it.

I have since switched to a Eberlestock ($$$$$) and it is built like a tank. Eberlestock offers several models and I have seen quite a few of them in the field issued to regular Army for testing. You do not have to get ACU or even olive drab for that matter. My Eberlestock Skycrane II is in flat earth and looks great. Hell my Blackhawk SOF Rucksack is a tan color for that matter also.
                        Fuck you. We're going to Costco.

Comment

• Looks like I don't need to weigh in on anything here...

oh - don't fall for that "sign up when I get there" bullshit - better get it in writing before signing on the dotted line. True story.

Comment

• Originally posted by motoman View Post
                            Yes. Exactly.
                            For $32, you should just get it.
                            Go to RANGERJOEs.com and get some pussy pads. (extra thick shoulder straps)
                            There are some key things to making that work. Planned packing, and proper adjustment. Anyone who as served can teach you this, without you'll be in pain.

There is a pad that rides on you. Putting it in the small of your back, rather than your ass will make or break you. They're very easy to learn, but can be overwhelming when you see all the straps snaking everywhere.
                            You wear it tight, not like your backpack in freshmen year when carried it real low.

I tried looking for the padded straps, and I'm not coming up with much. They are around though.
                            DE OPPRESSO LIBER

Comment

• Originally posted by HarrisonTX View Post
                              Yes. Exactly.
                              For $32, you should just get it.
                              Go to RANGERJOEs.com and get some pussy pads. (extra thick shoulder straps)
                              There are some key things to making that work. Planned packing, and proper adjustment. Anyone who as served can teach you this, without you'll be in pain.

There is a pad that rides on you. Putting it in the small of your back, rather than your ass will make or break you. They're very easy to learn, but can be overwhelming when you see all the straps snaking everywhere.
                              You wear it tight, not like your backpack in freshmen year when carried it real low.

I tried looking for the padded straps, and I'm not coming up with much. They are around though.
                              My plan was to get something like this and then get a 50-60lb bad of sand and break that up into small ziplock bags to put in the different pockets to distribute the weight evenly.

Comment

• Get the older ruck and do like I did on my first 20 mile march...packed me e-tool in the wrong spot and about rub a hole through my back and out my stomach.

That's why I'm pissy about people with frames on their packs.

Comment

Working...
                                X