What does "backing it up" mean?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What does "backing it up" mean?

Since the dawn of the internet, I keep seeing this posted as a counterpoint, when Person A. doesn't like what Person B. has to say. Person A.: "You won't back that up!" To me, backing something up means repeating it with clarity, showing empirical evidence that the statement is true, and, if necessary, providing links or quotes which illustrate that evidence, so that there is no question about the validity of my statement.

If you subscribe to the secondary notion, of apparently "backing it up" with your fists, I'd like to know how you've come to the conclusion that this solidifies your counterpoint and proves it superior. What does this prove? Is it possible that maybe you should stop being angry at people calling you out on your bullshit, and cease being an assclown? This is just my way of looking at it of course(please don't beat me up!). I'm open to hearing other interpretations, or why one solution is preferable to the other. How do you "back up" a statement on the internet?

Originally posted by talisman View Post
    Since the dawn of the internet, I keep seeing this posted as a counterpoint, when Person A. doesn't like what Person B. has to say. Person A.: "You won't back that up!" To me, backing something up means repeating it with clarity, showing empirical evidence that the statement is true, and, if necessary, providing links or quotes which illustrate that evidence, so that there is no question about the validity of my statement.

If you subscribe to the secondary notion, of apparently "backing it up" with your fists, I'd like to know how you've come to the conclusion that this solidifies your counterpoint and proves it superior. What does this prove? Is it possible that maybe you should stop being angry at people calling you out on your bullshit, and cease being an assclown? This is just my way of looking at it of course(please don't beat me up!). I'm open to hearing other interpretations, or why one solution is preferable to the other. How do you "back up" a statement on the internet?
    Meet me by the flag post, bitch!!!!
    Interested in being a VIP member and donating to the site? Click here http://dfwmustangs.net/forums/payments.php

Comment

It means car jousting, or challenge to a gym fight.

Comment

lol

Comment

youz a fine motherfucker, why'nt you back that ass up!

Comment

http://www.truthcontest.com/entries/...iversal-truth/

Comment

It means your mouth is writing checks your ass can't cash.

It means you don't have the guts to back up your mouth with action.

For the record, I don't have a problem with what you say in general, but the incessant digs you take at me, personally, come with accountability.

You want to run your mouth? I'm going to call you out. It just proves that you can speak, but don't have the courage to back it up. You are a weak and pathetic little person who uses the keyboard as cover.

It's the same thing with your sidekick.

If you want to quit your online behavior towards me, we can end this here. If you continue, I will continue shining the light on your cowardice.

Comment

TIL that when my 8th grade science teacher asked me if I can back up a statement that I made in class, she actually was saying "put up your dukes young man!"

Comment

Originally posted by 03trubluGT View Post

For the record, I don't have a problem with what you say in general, but the incessant digs you take at me, personally, come with accountability.

You want to run your mouth? I'm going to call you out. It just proves that you can speak, but don't have the courage to back it up. You are a weak and pathetic little person who uses the keyboard as cover.

If you want to quit your online behavior towards me, we can end this here. If you continue, I will continue shining the light on your cowardice.
                  So the natural rebuttal to someone talking shit online is to fight? I mean, I could agree if the person was saying "I can / will beat your ass". Then showing up in person to fight, at a gym or otherwise, would be backing it up.

Comment

Originally posted by 03trubluGT View Post

lmgdao @ the last 2 lines. Haaaaaaahahahahaha!!, oh Jesus.

Your explanation doesn't make sense. Unless you are verbalizing "action" there are no words to be met with action. Words are words. You little bitch.

Comment

It's like in tombstone when doc holiday and that one fella that ran off at the fight at the OK corral were playing poker and doc kept winning so the coward guy got pissed off and doc challenged him to a spelling contest and that pissed the guy off more and then he tried to attack doc holiday.

well i don't know if that makes sense, but that sure was a cool scene in that movie.

Comment

Originally posted by jasone View Post
                        It's like in tombstone when doc holiday and that one fella that ran off at the fight at the OK corral were playing poker and doc kept winning so the coward guy got pissed off and doc challenged him to a spelling contest and that pissed the guy off more and then he tried to attack doc holiday.

well i don't know if that makes sense, but that sure was a cool scene in that movie.
                        Why Ike, whatever do you mean? Maybe poker just isn't your game. I know. Lets have a spelling bee
                        Originally posted by BradM
                        But, just like condoms and women's rights, I don't believe in them.
                        Originally posted by Leah
                        In other news: Brent's meat melts in your mouth.

Comment

it means im about to bump that dock so watch out!

Comment

Originally posted by Trip McNeely View Post
                            youz a fine motherfucker, why'nt you back that ass up!
                            This is exactly what I thought of. I then saw a long paragraph of blah..blah and lost interest.

Comment

Originally posted by jasone View Post

His name was Ike Clanton

Comment

Working...
                              X