European Languages

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• European Languages

If you were going to learn a language that would be useful in Europe, what would it be, and why? I'm leaning towards Italian or Dutch, just because those are the areas I'm most interested in visiting. Who knows if I'll actually have a practical use for this, but it a course requirement for my degree, so I might as well have fun with it. What would you guys pick and why?

Someone suggested I learn Latin first to make the others easy to digest. Italian was on the tops of my list as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Sean88gt View Post
      Someone suggested I learn Latin first to make the others easy to digest. Italian was on the tops of my list as well.
      I took 3 years of Latin in High School and it has helped tremendously.

Comment

Originally posted by Marisa View Post
        I took 3 years of Latin in High School and it has helped tremendously.
        Do you speak Greek?

Comment

Fuck them. They should speak our language.
          "Any dog under 50lbs is a cat and cats are pointless." - Ron Swanson

Comment

Originally posted by poopnut2 View Post
            Fuck them. They should speak our language.
            Most of them do.

Comment

Originally posted by Sean88gt View Post
              Most of them do.
              x2. I posted a similar thread a few years ago in Canada, when we thought we were going to Europe. All the research we did basically said: if you're moving to a specific location, learn that language. If you're just visiting, get a phrase book, but there is enough English spoken you won't have an issue.

Comment

I'd say German. Even if not frequently spoken in a lot of countries, it is widely understood. It got me out of a jam in Croatia of all places. Dutch and German are also very similar.
                "It is in truth not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself."

Comment

I'd stay away from PIG languages and go with German.
                  Originally posted by davbrucas
                  I want to like Slow99 since people I know say he's a good guy, but just about everything he posts is condescending and passive aggressive.

Most people I talk to have nothing but good things to say about you, but you sure come across as a condescending prick. Do you have an inferiority complex you've attempted to overcome through overachievement? Or were you fondled as a child?

You and slow99 should date. You both have passive aggressiveness down pat.

Comment

Originally posted by talisman View Post
                    If you were going to learn a language that would be useful in Europe, what would it be, and why? I'm leaning towards Italian or Dutch, just because those are the areas I'm most interested in visiting. Who knows if I'll actually have a practical use for this, but it a course requirement for my degree, so I might as well have fun with it. What would you guys pick and why?
                    DO NOT learn Dutch. I have never met a Dutchman that couldn't speak English and the language is dying. Most Germans speak English as well.

The people least willing top assimilate, IE learn English are the French.
                    Originally posted by lincolnboy
                    After watching Games of Thrones, makes me glad i was not born in those years.

Comment

German!!!!!!!!!!!!
                      http://www.truthcontest.com/entries/...iversal-truth/

Comment

German.

Comment

English....French or German in 2nd. Italian wouldn't be of much use outside Italy and Swiss to a degree.

Comment

Spanish. It will also help you when you're not on vacation.

Comment

living/working in TX, I'm sure he knows enough Spanish... he's asking about Europe. German will take you farther in Europe than Spanish.
                              http://www.truthcontest.com/entries/...iversal-truth/

Comment

Working...
                              X