Vets/Doctors - Dog's Bloodwork

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vets/Doctors - Dog's Bloodwork

My terrier has been acting weird so we took her to the vet and they did some bloodwork. The numbers are all Greek to me, but they told us they're indicative of cancer. Based on these, could someone with the knowhow tell me if you agree.

Thanks.

ALB - 5.0*
    ALP - 442*
    ALT - 107
    AMY - 1212*
    TBIL - 0.2
    BUN - 13
    CA++ - 12.7*
    PHOS - 3.1
    CRE - 0.8
    GLU - 113*
    NA+ - 138
    K+ - 4.3
    TP - 7.9
    GLOB - 2.9

The numbers with the asterisks are high. We haven't gone further into it yet but it stinks seeing her in pain and seeing her hobble around rather than acting like her usual self.
    An invasion of armies can be resisted, but not an idea whose time has come.

-Victor Hugo

How about some more info and history besides a blood test. What was the doctors official prognosis and plan of action. How old is the dog? And have you considered getting a second opinion?

I can see how they could use a blood test result as a possible indicator for some pathology, but not outright state cancer. If there is a mass involved, I would request a biopsy. I don't know how much money you are willing to spend here, but I would seek definitive answers. Or if you create a post and choose to omit other pertinent details, then there is only so much we can help you with.

At any rate...I hope your dog is and will be OK.

Comment

Probably just has pancreatitis. Lipase wasnt checked? It could be cancer, though.

Comment

Next step is a CT scan. Like Tim said, how much you looking to spend to find the answer?

Comment

Yeah, they said 500-800 for the scan so the next step will be getting a second opinion to confirm or deny the report. I'll look into pancreatitis, and mention that to the current vet and the next one we go to, thanks.

The dog is 13 and covered in what I'd guess are tumors, but the vet (and Xtine)convinced us those are normal and completely harmless/benign/beside the fact. She has been 100% healthy up to this point and the only time was ever in any medical fix was when she got bit by a coyote a good 10 years ago and she made it through that without a hitch.

Thanks
          An invasion of armies can be resisted, but not an idea whose time has come.

-Victor Hugo

Comment

Working...
          X