any bought savings bonds?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• any bought savings bonds?

Interested in buying a few savings bonds for my daughter to replace the money in her piggy bank so it can earn a little. I know they dont earn much but do banks still sell them pretty easily? It I were to buy like a $100 one, what would it be worth in a few years?

I seem to remember thinking that back in the day, after 7 years it matures and doubles? Not sure if thats still correct?

I have a bunch of them. I've had 3 daughters all race junior dragsters. 2 of them still do and they get paid in savings bonds. I've got over 10,000 in bonds dating back to 1998 and the last time I checked NONE of them have matured. Most are only a couple years old and only worth slightly over the purchase price. I think there are a couple different kinds of bonds? Maybe it's the type of bonds we are given? I think they are type E ?

Comment

Do the girl a favor and get her some silver!

Comment

Originally posted by Denny View Post
        Do the girl a favor and get her some silver!
        You remind me of the guy from Rudolph. Silver and gold, silver and gold.

I can get you the lyrics and you can't sing it in your spare time.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by mstng86 View Post
            You remind me of the guy from Rudolph. Silver and gold, silver and gold.

I can get you the lyrics and you can't sing it in your spare time.
            Just remember that I told you so. Enjoy your bonds

Comment

The only bond I enjoy.

Comment

You need some shares of CSHD my friend. Or better yet, MCP...they are both going straight to the moon!!
                Originally posted by racrguy
                What's your beef with NPR, because their listeners are typically more informed than others?
                Voting is a constitutional right, overthrowing the government isn't.

Comment

Originally posted by Broncojohnny View Post
                  You need some shares of CSHD my friend. Or better yet, MCP...they are both going straight to the moon!!
                  I'm thinking one of those awesome BofA savings accounts sounds good right about now.

Comment

This is another perfect example of why we need a Money/Investing forum! Shall we start a poll for one???

Comment

Originally posted by Denny View Post
                      I'm thinking one of those awesome BofA savings accounts sounds good right about now.
                      Buy GSK, they are selling dope to the entire world.
                      What's your beef with NPR, because their listeners are typically more informed than others?
                      Voting is a constitutional right, overthrowing the government isn't.

Comment

Originally posted by Broncojohnny View Post
                        Buy GSK, they are selling dope to the entire world.
                        Any other hot picks?

<-- looking to buy something soon...

Comment

Originally posted by Roscoe View Post
                          Any other hot picks?

<-- looking to buy something soon...
                          APPL, if they drop any more today it is a perfect opportunity!

Comment

Originally posted by yellowstang View Post
                            APPL, if they drop any more today it is a perfect opportunity!
                            Don't get me started... I thought I did well when I sold all of my Apple stock at the end of 2008 for $225/share...

Comment

I have a bunch of Series EE U.S. Savings bonds from the early 90s that still haven't matured, but they are worth more than they were bought for. I think they take 25 or 30 years to fully mature. The interest rate is something like 0.60%.
                              Men have become the tools of their tools.
                              -Henry David Thoreau

Comment

Working...
                              X