5 Days in Jail and you get $4million

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 5 Days in Jail and you get $4million

Seems fair......... Don't ask me why, but I get a kick out of our own system imploding in on itself.

The Justice Department is still investigating the 2012 incident, in which Daniel Chong was left in a holding cell for four days without food or water.

SAN DIEGO — SAN DIEGO - A California university student who was left handcuffed in a federal holding cell for nearly 5 days without food or water has reached a $4.1 million settlement with the U.S. Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA), his lawyers said on Tuesday.

Daniel Chong, who was rounded up along with eight other people in an April 21, 2012, drug raid at a San Diego area home, has said that he was forced to drink his own urine and nearly died after being placed in the cell and apparently forgotten.

After the ordeal, the 24-year-old student of the University of California, San Diego, spent five days in a San Diego hospital, three of them in intensive care. Last year, he filed a $20 million claim, a precursor to a lawsuit, against the DEA.

On Tuesday, his attorneys, Eugene Iredale and Julia Yoo, said they had settled that claim with the DEA for $4.1 million.

sign me up!
    1969 GTO Judge Clone 6.0 liter LQ4 Turbo 4L60e on LS1tech

1960 Chevy Sedan Delivery LS swap

Comment

I'm thirsty

Comment

If Bear Grylls can do it.....

Comment

Originally posted by 2165 Turbo Rail View Post
          sign me up!
          This!

Comment

I'm game.

Comment

If this had went to trial he would have gotten way more.

Comment

Originally posted by 03mustangdude View Post
                If this had went to trial he would have gotten way more.
                Maybe, but a lot of jury awards are knocked down a ton on appeal, and arbitrated settlements are usually binding. If you can avoid court costs, it's a win-win.
                ZOMBIE REAGAN FOR PRESIDENT 2016!!! heh

Comment

They forgot to add that, on the way home, he was stopped and his car was searched and all of his money was confiscated because it had drug residue on it, including the $40 he had in his wallet.

Comment

Those who were responsible for him should have been sued separately. These agencies don't learn as there is no individual responsibility
                    I wear a Fez. Fez-es are cool

Comment

Originally posted by Forever_frost View Post
                      Those who were responsible for him should have been sued separately. These agencies don't learn as there is no individual responsibility
                      Sue the individual so the entity is immune and therefore is not required to train to prevent future occurrences?

Sounds logical......

Comment

Sign me up Scottie!

Comment

Originally posted by 03trubluGT View Post
                          Sue the individual so the entity is immune and therefore is not required to train to prevent future occurrences?

Sounds logical......
                          It's perfectly logical. Fire the guy who could have prevented this (oversight), sue the ones who made it happen.

Comment

I wonder what he was doing in a known drug house? I'm assuming known since it got raided. Sounds like he might have lucked out by not getting charges and a big payday.

Comment

Originally posted by exlude View Post
                              It's perfectly logical. Fire the guy who could have prevented this (oversight), sue the ones who made it happen.
                              and get paid nothing?

Comment

Working...
                              X