Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• He fought the law...and won

This man fought the law -- and won!

Rod MacIver, a painter and writer from North Ferrisburgh, Vt., knew he hadn't run a red light when he was pulled over by police officer Jason Lawton last December in Shelburne, Vt., he told local station 7DVT.

"As far as I know I’ve never gone through a red light in my life,” MacIver told Lawton, according to the officer's dash cam footage that MacIver later posted online. "I think you’re completely out to lunch. What are you doing, smoking pot or something?”

A clearly irritated MacIver and Lawton argued for a few minutes, before Lawton eventually wrote MacIver the ticket and noted he can always try to contest it in court, the footage shows.

Consider this a challenge accepted. MacIver quickly filed a complaint against Lawton and insisted on viewing the dash cam video from the traffic stop, according to local Fox affiliate Fox 44 News Burlington.

"I just want to see it for myself," MacIver told Fox 44.

The video indeed showed that MacIver did not run the red light.

With the exonerating video footage finally in his possession, MacIver took Lawton to traffic court in March. A thoroughly convinced Judge Howard Kalfus dismissed the ticket, and chastised Lawton for testifying about an event he knew was incorrect, according to 7DVT.

But MacIver wasn't satisfied, and took his story public. He set up a website, titled Shelburne Vermont Police Department Traffic Stop, and posted the dash cam video on YouTube.

"I’ve set up this website because I’ve had three contacts with the Shelburne Vermont Police Department and in all three instances, including once in court under oath, the officers of that department have been deliberately deceptive and dishonest," the website says. "Dishonesty seems to be ingrained in the culture there and encouraged, or at least condoned, by the management of that department."

Now MacIver is suing the city of Shelburne for $2,000 in damages stemming from the bogus stop, according to local station WCAX. On Friday, the hearing was postponed after the defendants -- including police representatives -- did not show up.

"Couple of times I decided that I was just going to drop the whole thing and not pursue it in small claims court, but I read the officer's testimony and I just said I'm not going to let this stand," MacIver told WCAX.

I wear a Fez. Fez-es are cool

Good for him.

I hope that officer loses his job and spends some time in jail for perjury.

Comment

Originally posted by 03trubluGT View Post
      Good for him.

Someone's head just assploded!

Comment

Good for him.

Any thoughts on why the officer wasn't? It's obvious the judge knew he was lying.
        I wear a Fez. Fez-es are cool

Comment

Originally posted by racrguy View Post
          Has anyone heard from Talisman today?
          I don't like Republicans, but I really FUCKING hate Democrats.

Sex with an Asian woman is great, but 30 minutes later you're horny again.

Comment

Lol big deal. I did that my senior year in highschool.

Got a ticket.. I took it to jury trial, questioned the cop first hand in court. I was found not guilty and the judge pulled me aside afterwards and commended me on my job. She told me I should be a lawyer.

Lol. So it's not that hard. Big deal dude.

320rwhp. 7.67 @ 90mph 1.7 60'

DD: 2004 GMC Sierra VHO 6.0 LQ9 324whp 350wtrq

Comment

Good for him.

Ok, who stole Matt's password?

Comment

The video indeed showed that MacIver did not run the red light.
                I see the truck go through the intersection and immediately the light is green for the cop. That would appear as if he did run it? What am I missing other than a view of the truck's traffic light?

Comment

Originally posted by SS Junk View Post
                  I see the truck go through the intersection and immediately the light is green for the cop. That would appear as if he did run it? What am I missing other than a view of the truck's traffic light?

Yeah, I thought that too but you can barely see the traffic light in question in the very top left corner of the video. It was still yellow when his truck entered the intersection. It did turn red as he was going under the light but technically, he didn't run the red light.

Comment

Originally posted by racrguy View Post
                    Ha!

Originally posted by Forever_frost View Post
                    Any thoughts on why the officer wasn't? It's obvious the judge knew he was lying.
                    Have no idea, but I'd bet that officer has a hard time getting any future convictions. I'd bet the municipal prosecutor dismisses every one of his future tickets. If that happens, he should be fired because any time he's on the stand the defense could bring this up and win every time.

Originally posted by SS Junk View Post
                    Originally posted by Hmbre97 View Post
                    Yeah, I thought that too but you can barely see the traffic light in question in the very top left corner of the video. It was still yellow when his truck entered the intersection. It did turn red as he was going under the light but technically, he didn't run the red light.
                    It is more like the top edge in from the left about a third. It's definitely yellow when he enters the intersection. He did not run the red.

Just another example of an officer trying to falsely exert authority.

Comment

Good for him.

Holy shit...

Originally posted by Forever_frost View Post

Professional courtesy, I'm sure.
                      Originally posted by BradM
                      But, just like condoms and women's rights, I don't believe in them.
                      Originally posted by Leah
                      In other news: Brent's meat melts in your mouth.

Comment

Working...
                      X