Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Science is cool - Astronomers release the largest color image of the sky ever made

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jasone View Post
    dang, space is pretty big huh?
    Are you talking about that big empty space between your ears?
    I think his point is that the fish got low balled, fucked in the catfish asshole and you paid half price. The worst part was the fish explaining to his fish friends why his asshole smelled like redneck

Comment

Originally posted by poopnut2 View Post
      Romer came up with a formula that HELPED other astromers determine the speed of light. If I remember right Romer thought it to be around 10x the speed of sound.
      Yeah, apparently there's debate...

Either way, he's still talked about 300+ years later. That's more than anyone will be able to say about us

That interpretation makes it possible to calculate the strict result of Rømer's observations: The ratio of the speed of light to the speed with which Earth orbits the sun, which is the ratio of the duration of a year devided by pi as compared to the 22 minutes

365·24·60⁄pi·22 ≈ 7,600.

In comparison the modern value is circa 299,792 km s-1⁄29.8 km s-1 ≈ 10,100.[7]

Rømer neither calculated this ratio, nor did he give a value for the speed of light. However, many others calculated a speed from his data
      Buncha smart motherF'ers... grumble, grumble...

Comment

Originally posted by Blame Canada View Post
        Are you talking about that big empty space between your ears?
        how dare you

Comment

Originally posted by mstng86 View Post
          i say rise of the catholic church actually.
          bingo!!

Comment

oh i dont know, i think practical things like surviving plague and working on the four-field crop system were a little bit more important to medieval science than looking up at stars.

Comment

Originally posted by 32vfromhell View Post
              oh i dont know, i think practical things like surviving plague and working on the four-field crop system were a little bit more important to medieval science than looking up at stars.
              For some reason, people don't trust wikipedia but supposedly anybody can put whatever they want on it...even though that's not true. It has to be cited info, approved by wikipedia...but look up "black death" on there. They didn't use science to try and find out the cause, or to cure the plague. They blamed supernatural forces and jews. Seriously.
              "Any dog under 50lbs is a cat and cats are pointless." - Ron Swanson

Comment

Originally posted by mstng86 View Post
                I say rise of the Catholic church actually.
                well i was close, i may not have hit the nail on the head but i managed to strike the board!

Comment

Working...
                X