• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nissan Titan to get a Cummins 4cyl Diesel engine

Cummins to Disclose New Engine Contract With Nissan

By JAMES R. HAGERTY
    And MIKE RAMSEY
    The Wall Street Journal

Cummins Inc. plans to disclose on Tuesday an agreement to supply Nissan Motor Co. with a diesel engine for its Titan pickup trucks, people familiar with the matter said.

The Columbus, Ind.-based company earlier said it would announce a job-creating engine project. A spokeswoman for the company declined to provide details.

Cummins currently supplies diesel engines for some Chrysler Group LLC pickup trucks.

Nissan last year sold 21,576 Titan full-size pickups in the U.S. and a handful in Canada and the Middle East. The truck has struggled against models from General Motors Co., GM +0.32% Ford Motor Co. F -1.12% and Chrysler, which dominate the full-size pickup market. In 2012, the Detroit companies sold just over 1.5 million full-size pickups in the U.S.

The decision to use a Cummins diesel engine in the Titan line comes a few months after Nissan hired former Chrysler Ram brand chief Fred Diaz to be Nissan's U.S. sales chief.

The deal also marks a new effort by Nissan to expand in the truck market. In early 2008, Nissan had said Chrysler would let it buy its RAM truck platform for the next version of the Titan in exchange for allowing Chrysler to use a compact car design. However, that agreement fell apart when Chrysler slid toward bankruptcy.

Cummins was developing a diesel engine for Chrysler's light-duty Ram 1500, but the contract was voided in Chrysler's 2009 bankruptcy. When Chrysler decided to restart the diesel program for its light-duty truck, it used an engine from parent Fiat SpA instead of reviving the Cummins engine.

Cummins' financial performance recently has been hurt by weaker engine demand from heavy-duty truck makers and manufacturers of mining and construction machinery.

Cummins is the largest supplier of heavy-duty truck engines in North America, accounting for about 40% of the market. Cummins last month reported a profit of $414 million, or $2.20 a share, for the second quarter, down from $469 million, or $2.47 a share, a year earlier. Sales edged up 1.6% to $4.53 billion.
    Last edited by Strychnine; 02-14-2014, 02:48 PM.

Nissan Titan to get a Cummins 4cyl Diesel engine

Interesting. I'm interested to see what the numbers look like, and how it works.

Sources tell us that Nissan and Cummins will make a joint announcement Tuesday regarding a diesel engine for the next-generation Titan. Our sources suggest the powertrain could be either a Chinese-made 4-cylinder engine or alternately a 5.0L V8. Currently, Ram is the only truck maker to offer a Cummins powertrain. Nissan recently hired Fred Diaz, Ram’s former CEO, to head up Nissan Division’s day-to-day operations.

Cummins To Supply 4-Cylinder Diesel For Nissan Titan
    Jeff Cobb August 20, 2013
    Tweet EmailPrintGo BackPrint this page.Photo GallerySorry there are no photos!
    Hide

Today Cummins of Columbus, Ind., is expected to announce a four-cylinder diesel engine developed for use in Nissan Titan full-sized pickup trucks.

This is according to the Wall Street Journal which cited people familiar with the arrangement.

The Titan’s sales have flagged in comparison to offerings by General Motors and Ford, and last year Nissan sold 21,576 units in the U.S. and a few more in Canada and the Middle East.

Previously Cummins had been developing a four-cylinder diesel for Chrysler’s RAM 1500 but in the wake of the 2009 Chrysler bankruptcy, that contract was voided.

Cummins already supplies a powerful six-cylinder diesel for Dodge pickup trucks that is also used in medium duty commercial applications.

Cummins is the largest supplier of heavy duty truck engines in North America, and holds down 40 percent of the market.

The new four-cylinder diesel engine slated for the Nissan was reportedly developed under a U.S. Department of Energy program. The decision to use it in the Titan line followed just months after Nissan hired as sales chief former Chrysler Ram brand chief Fred Diaz.

Nissan’s mirroring of Chrysler’s lead is also not without precedent in the area of chassis. In 2008, Nissan had said it would buy from Chrysler its RAM truck platform to underpin the Titan. For this chassis, Nissan had planned to trade a compact car design desired by Chrysler, but its bankruptcy nixed this deal as well.
    "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

Reeeeeepost.

Comment

Originally posted by downshift_me View Post
        Reeeeeepost.
        we posted it at the same time, hot tits.
        "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

Posted at the exact same time.

Comment

There's an all alum 5.0 V8 engine and there's the ISF...

Other articles say it will be an I-4, so it pretty much has to be the new ISF (2.8 or 3.8) engine.

Here's one pic.
            This was sent to me from our Rocky Mtn division a few months ago (taken at one of their shops)

Last edited by Strychnine; 08-20-2013, 09:05 AM.

Comment

Repost

Comment

Both 9:50...I'd say Strychnine gets the nod given his association.

Comment

Can we get a thread merge?

Comment

Will this expand into 3/4 & 1 ton models, or does Dodge still have an exclusive?

Pretty crazy considering Ford owns Cummins!!!1!!11

Comment

I recognize that place....

Comment

well that's interesting. Any non-official info on the engine?

Comment

God those trucks are hideous.
                          Originally posted by BradM
                          But, just like condoms and women's rights, I don't believe in them.
                          Originally posted by Leah
                          In other news: Brent's meat melts in your mouth.

Comment

Originally posted by Baron View Post
                            well that's interesting. Any non-official info on the engine?
                            Depends on which engine it is.

I can tell you that the 5.0 V8 would be built in Columbus, IN. The 4 cyl ISF (2.8 or 3.8) would be China built.

Comment

Originally posted by Strychnine View Post
                              The 4 cyl ISF3.8 would be China built.
                              Fucking gag me
                              Interested in being a VIP member and donating to the site? Click here http://dfwmustangs.net/forums/payments.php

Comment

Working...
                              X