"Fat Letters" sent home to parents of students due to BMI

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Fat Letters" sent home to parents of students due to BMI

This is just fucking idiotic. There are so many variables, the school should not be doing this with children. Most everyone I respect that knows much about physical fitness and health agrees that BMI is a bunch of horseshit, not even taking into account how rapidly kids bodies go through changes. My fatass will now step off my soapbox before it collapses.

ABC News' Mary Pflum reports:
    A growing initiative by some schools across the country has students and parents up in arms: the school are measuring students at an annual weigh-in, and sending reports home telling parents whether their child's body mass index is healthy or dangerous.

Hope Green, who has two school-aged children in upstate New York, said children are placed under too much stress at school.

"The last thing they need is the school to now step in … 'You're too skinny,' 'You're too fat,'" she said.

Schools in 19 states, from Arkansas to Illinois, participate in the annual student weigh-ins. Some pediatricians say body mass index (BMI) readings are helpful in combating childhood obesity, which is a growing problem.
    Right now, BMI readings are "the best means we have to determine whether a child's weight is healthy or unhealthy," said Dr. Lanre Omojokun Falusi, a Washington, D.C.-based pediatrician and a spokesperson for the American Academy of Pediatrics.

But some eating disorder experts worry that taking the readings may do more harm than good.

"I would like to see BMI testing in schools banned," said Claire Mysko of the National Eating Disorders Association. "For those who are already insecure about their weight, these tests can … potentially trigger an eating disorder."
    Experts are concerned about the potential for eating disorders in girls and boys, but are especially concerned about girls given that girls are more likely than boys to experience such disorders.

More than 40 percent of 9- and 10-year-old girls have already been on a diet. As many as 60 percent of all children between the ages of 6 and 12 years old are worried about their weight, according to Duke University.

Some children who get the "fat letters" - as students themselves call them - are as young as 6 or 7 years old.

Lucy Williams attends a public middle school in New York City. She says she's "insecure" because she's taller than a lot of her fellow students.
    "And I'm also bigger than a lot of them," the 13-year-old said. "I'm not incredibly skinny."

"Good Morning America" talked to other students who share Lucy's concern.
    Of the BMI reports, Zuzu Park-Stettner, 13, who also attends public school in Manhattan, said: "I hate them."

Added her sister, Jane Park-Stettner, 9: "If they knew how much you weighed and if it was a really high number, like 100 … it would cause bullying."

Jane and Zuzu's mother, Shannon Park, is also concerned about the effects of measuring students' BMIs, especially for students who are entering adolescence.

"Their bodies are changing … And then they get this number that says, 'Oh, you know, you're not the right number.' It's just a horrible way to start womanhood," she said.

Blame Michelle Obama. You feed people shit, of course they are going to be in shit shape. Garbage in, garbage out. It's pretty simple. As far as childhood nutrition goes, the pendulum is beginning to swing the other way. A lot of districts are going back to scratch cooking, and it's a trend that will grow every year. Still doesn't solve the overeating problems, or the fast food problems, but it is a start.
    Originally posted by BradM
    But, just like condoms and women's rights, I don't believe in them.
    Originally posted by Leah
    In other news: Brent's meat melts in your mouth.

Comment

It's not right but there are some kids out there that are way unhealthy for their age. It's not their fault it's their parents fault for allowing it.

Comment

What I have noticed with most parents that have fat kids is that the parents don't notice/lie to themselves and their fat bastard kids/enable the behavior.

Comment

Originally posted by QIK46 View Post
          It's not right but there are some kids out there that are way unhealthy for their age. It's not their fault it's their parents fault for allowing it.
          Yeah, but BMI isn't a good indicator of health or fitness.
          Originally posted by Broncojohnny
          HOORAY ME and FUCK YOU!

Comment

Originally posted by Nash B. View Post
            Yeah, but BMI isn't a good indicator of health or fitness.
            It's fine for young kids... you aren't likely to have high weight/low fat children.

Comment

Something has to be done, and notifying parents seems like a logical first step to me.

Comment

Originally posted by UserX View Post
                Something has to be done, and notifying parents seems like a logical first step to me.
                It is a slippery slope. Is this or is this not a free country? If someone wants to be a tub of lard, it's still legal for now. I agree that obesity is a problem, and information needs to be spread. However, the govt needs to tread lightly here. Or we will all be living under the rule of Bloomberg and NYC.
                Originally posted by BradM
                But, just like condoms and women's rights, I don't believe in them.
                Originally posted by Leah
                In other news: Brent's meat melts in your mouth.

Comment

Originally posted by UserX View Post
                  Wouldnt a medical professional be the one to make that call?
                  "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

whats for lunch?

god bless.
                    It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men -Frederick Douglass

Comment

Originally posted by bcoop View Post
                      It is a slippery slope. Is this or is this not a free country? If someone wants to be a tub of lard, it's still legal for now. I agree that obesity is a problem, and information needs to be spread. However, the govt needs to tread lightly here. Or we will all be living under the rule of Bloomberg and NYC.
                      I think it's no different than a hearing or sight test in school. I took them, and my parents were notified if there was a problem. They're just informing, not fixing. I'm OK with that.

Comment

Originally posted by bcoop View Post
                        American has turned into a principle ski slope that leads to shit.

Comment

Originally posted by Baron View Post
                          Wouldnt a medical professional be the one to make that call?
                          It doesn't take a doctor to read a scale or use a tape measure. BMI isn't rocket surgery.

Comment

My daughter goes to the doctor for health advise not a school. Send a letter home telling me my kid is fat and you may get punched in the fucking mouth. Teachers are there to teach and educate. Want to teach them how to eat healthy? Cool go right ahead. I get it, some kids are fat as shit. Some are skinny as shit. But they are kids, let them grow. If the kid is obese, how is it the schools right to tell the parent that their kid's BMI is to high. Again, they are not doctors nor dieticians. Hell, I hardly knew a coach that wasn't a fat fuck himself.

How many of us were on diets in school? Fuck I ate everything in sight, good or bad for me. I was a skinny fuck. Hell I weight 130 at 5'8" graduating high school. But I am a fat fuck now 20 years later. People grow at different rates.
                            Fuck you. We're going to Costco.

Comment

More ignorance from Mrs. Obama and her (dare I say...) clan.

Comment

Working...
                              X