No announcement yet.

"Craft" beer recommendation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ^Green flash brews some great ipa. +3 points.

I've been broadening my scope lately. These are my recommendations for anyone that likes stinky beer:
    Avery - 20th ipa & salvation
    Sierra Nevada - Hoptimum & torpedo
    Twisted Pine - Hoppy Boy (I love canned beer)
    Deschutes - inversion ipa & chaib breaker white ipa

Comment

• Originally posted by TeeShock View Post
      ^Green flash brews some great ipa. +3 points.

I've been broadening my scope lately. These are my recommendations for anyone that likes stinky beer:
      Avery - 20th ipa & salvation
      Sierra Nevada - Hoptimum & torpedo
      Twisted Pine - Hoppy Boy (I love canned beer)
      Deschutes - inversion ipa & chaib breaker white ipa
      I can't recommend Hops and Grains Pale Dog enough. It's in a can, it's hoppy and delicious. Also Martin House's Imperial Texan is pretty good and it's in tall boy cans.

Neither is classified as an IPA by the brewer but they fall somewhere between the Dogfish Head 60 and 90 minutes. Pale Dog is dry hopped the Imperial Texan comes in at 8-9% abv and is cheap. Martin House calls it a Red but it's far from being a Smithwicks.

Avery's standard IPA is pretty nice but their DuganA is worth a try. You probably won't see the 20th around for much longer.

Comment

• Originally posted by BP View Post
        I can't recommend Hops and Grains Pale Dog enough. It's in a can, it's hoppy and delicious. Also Martin House's Imperial Texan is pretty good and it's in tall boy cans.

Neither is classified as an IPA by the brewer but they fall somewhere between the Dogfish Head 60 and 90 minutes. Pale Dog is dry hopped the Imperial Texan comes in at 8-9% abv and is cheap. Martin House calls it a Red but it's far from being a Smithwicks.

Avery's standard IPA is pretty nice but their DuganA is worth a try. You probably won't see the 20th around for much longer.
        I'll look out for pale dog and snap what's left of the avery on my beer run today. I've been saving the Dugans for this weekend.

Does anyone know where the best prices for a CO2 tank, lines, and regs are?

Im slowly building a keezer.

Comment

• Originally posted by TeeShock View Post
          Does anyone know where the best prices for a CO2 tank, lines, and regs are?

Im slowly building a keezer.
          Check out www.kegconnection.com for the tank, regulator, etc. At the time I bought mine, Birdman Brewing had the best deal on Perlick 525SS's and stainless shanks.

Comment

• Green Flash Le Freak is another great brew if you haven't had it. It's a Belgium style IPA, one of my favorites.

Comment

• drinking "the hairy eyeball" from lagunitas. it's not bad, a little too sweet but maybe that's the nature of a strong ale? and you can definitely taste the alcohol at 9.4.

saw the west coast ipa at goody goody. ill try it next time, had to pick up a six of new belgium shift instead because it was on sale.

Comment

• Eyeball is ok, but my least favorite Lagunitas. I had to stop and get some rot gut vodka for my air locks, so I grabbed some Hop Head Red while I was there. It's damn good. Reminds me a little of Martin House Imperial Texan but milder. I've noticed with both of the Green Flash beers I've had so far they've got great flavor, yet they're very subtle and ease in to themselves. Very drinkable.

Comment

• Originally posted by Tyrone Biggums View Post
                  Funny you mention that. I was staring down their HHR and West Coast IPA last week and grabbed the latter. This was my first taste of a Green Flash beer and it's one of the best ipa's I've had. I'm going to get the HHR tomorrow.
                  wow. this is truly excellent

Comment

• We should start a microbrew trade / barter thread. I wonder how a sixer handles being shipped.

Comment

• Originally posted by lo3oz View Post
                      We should start a microbrew trade / barter thread. I wonder how a sixer handles being shipped.
                      probably fine as long as it hasnt been in a fridge and then warmed up again.

my parents signed me up for a beer of the month club for one of my christmas gifts. hah. they send you a 12 pack of american craft brew at the end of every month. hope i get some i havent tried yet

Comment

• Originally posted by dsrtuckteezy View Post
                        drinking "the hairy eyeball" from lagunitas. it's not bad, a little too sweet but maybe that's the nature of a strong ale? and you can definitely taste the alcohol at 9.4.
                        It's a byproduct of high abvs. You use a lot more malt than usual and hope the yeast strain can keep up. It's sweet because the yeast all died before it could consume the sugar. Breweries like Dogfish Head and Avery can make beers with 18% alcohol because they have a team of microbiologists breeding specific strains of yeast for it.

To get any higher than that you need to do some kind of distillation process. Brewdog freeze distills their beers to get those 40+% abvs. Technically this makes it a whisky but they call it a beer, whatever.

Comment

• Originally posted by dsrtuckteezy View Post
                          signed me up for a beer of the month club for one of my christmas gifts
                          I wonder everyone on the subscription gets the same brews. I was signed up as well.

Comment

• I recently had some of the Martin House Sugar and Spice Barley Wine and it was incredible. It did not remind me of a BW at all. More like a spiced ale and at 12% abv, it could be dangerous.

Heading to Peticolas this weekend for the first time. I hear the Velvet Hammer is very good.

Comment

I recently had some of the Martin House Sugar and Spice Barley Wine and it was incredible. It did not remind me of a BW at all. More like a spiced ale and at 12% abv, it could be dangerous.
                              I concur on that one, had some at their tour/tasting last Saturday. The tastings there are still low key enough where you're not in line the entire time. plus there has been coupons for a free 4th beer in the local free newspapers, FW Weekly etc.

Comment

I hear the Velvet Hammer is very good.
                                Try the bourbon-barreled velvet hammer if you can find it.

Comment

Working...
                                X