No announcement yet.

"Craft" beer recommendation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I haven't done a whole lot of buying recently. I'm starting to run out of room in my beer fridge and "cellar" cabinet. I switched to all grain brewing two batches ago and have mainly been drinking what's on tap, a self designed pale ale, an imperial pale and my w00t stout clone.

I managed to score a Firestone Walker XIX, which I was pretty stoked about. I've got XVII and XVIII as well so it's probably time to drink one. Had some Prairie BA Bomb and it was dang good, though I cracked my last Prairie Apple Brandy Noir from last year and was disappoint. It did not age well, like I'm finding with most Prairie stuff. Opened up one of last years Founders KBS and it's getting better. I also picked up some Avery Tweak, Four Corners Notorious O.A.T recently and I keep stumbling upon Lakewood BBT (Bourbon Barrel Temptress) here and there and grab one though I don't really need any more. I'm sure I'll grab some DFH 120 here and there. I usually buy two each time it comes around. I've got a decent vertical of that going.

Comment

• Originally posted by BP View Post
      Wow first post of 2016 in this thread.

So heads up DFH 120 is on the shelves in Houston stores. It isn't in Centex yet but I'd imagine some of the better stores in DFW will have it next week.

The only thing fancy I've had lately is Adelbert's Barrel of Love and barrel aged Legion. Barrel of Love is a whiskey barrel aged Belgian style quad and it's great. You should all know what Legion is, also great.

Also if anyone is heading to Austin this weekend Jester King just released RU55, the first time in almost two years. It's not my favorite but some people love it.
      Damn if i didnt have to go to tyler tomorrow i would definitely enjoy this beautiful weather at jester king.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ruffdaddy View Post
        Damn if i didnt have to go to tyler tomorrow i would definitely enjoy this beautiful weather at jester king.
        There's a little brewery there-opened last year. I haven't tried it though.

Comment

• Tweak hasn't made it to Temple yet but it's my second favorite Avery beer, behind the base Mephistopheles.

I went to the BJ's brewery here in Temple on Friday and it's pretty dang cool. They are open basically all day on Friday's, from 1-9 officially. They brew everything that BJ's sells in Texas and have all of them on tap. They also have beers like their BBA Tatonka that aren't approved for TX yet. Only it's the first run which is out of fresh non sweated barrels of Woodford Reserve.

They also have a full canning line which is funny because they can't sell them in Texas right now. It's the only one of their breweries that cans beer right now and they have to export them.

It's amazing what they've done in such a small space and you'd have no idea it was there if someone didn't tell you. They'll also sell you cans, kegs or growlers during normal business hours if you have the door code (616).

Comment

Tweak hasn't made it to Temple yet but it's my second favorite Avery beer, behind the base Mephistopheles.

I went to the BJ's brewery here in Temple on Friday and it's pretty dang cool. They are open basically all day on Friday's, from 1-9 officially. They brew everything that BJ's sells in Texas and have all of them on tap. They also have beers like their BBA Tatonka that aren't approved for TX yet. Only it's the first run which is out of fresh non sweated barrels of Woodford Reserve.

They also have a full canning line which is funny because they can't sell them in Texas right now. It's the only one of their breweries that cans beer right now and they have to export them.

It's amazing what they've done in such a small space and you'd have no idea it was there if someone didn't tell you. They'll also sell you cans, kegs or growlers during normal business hours if you have the door code (616).
            Interesting I wonder why Temple though? I think BJ's is a Cali based company

Comment

Tweak hasn't made it to Temple yet but it's my second favorite Avery beer, behind the base Mephistopheles.

Where the hell is this in Temple?

Comment

• Originally posted by mstng86 View Post
                Where the hell is this in Temple?
                Google Kerley's meat market, it's across the street.

Originally posted by 95DRGT View Post
                Interesting I wonder why Temple though? I think BJ's is a Cali based company
                I'm sure they got the location for next to nothing, in fact I'd be amazed if the city didn't pay for most of the remodel. Their Temple restaurant does very well and it's a good mid point between DFW and Austin, right off I-35.

Comment

Google Kerley's meat market, it's across the street.

I'm sure they got the location for next to nothing, in fact I'd be amazed if the city didn't pay for most of the remodel. Their Temple restaurant does very well and it's a good mid point between DFW and Austin, right off I-35.
                  Well I don't go to that part of town when we are down there, but I have driven down Adams before and not noticed it.

I will have to remember next time I am down there and want to get away from seeing the Mother in Law.

Comment

• Speaking of Tweak, stopped by TW and they had one left sitting on the counter. Told myself I wasn't going to buy any more $13 twelve ounce beers for a while. So much for that.

95DRGT, TW Arlington still has a few bottles of 903 BA Sasquatch sitting on top of the stainless 903 conical (fermenter) on the beer aisle right next to the Martin House display. They're mixed in with regular Sasquatch. Hidden gem if you're looking.

Comment

• Originally posted by Tyrone Biggums View Post
                      Speaking of Tweak, stopped by TW and they had one left sitting on the counter. Told myself I wasn't going to buy any more $13 twelve ounce beers for a while. So much for that.

95DRGT, TW Arlington still has a few bottles of 903 BA Sasquatch sitting on top of the stainless 903 conical (fermenter) on the beer aisle right next to the Martin House display. They're mixed in with regular Sasquatch. Hidden gem if you're looking.
                      Thanks- on it

Comment

• Man this thread has been dead! I'll throw in a couple of updates though. I recently went on a fairly long road trip and am currently in upstate NY. On the way we stopped at the Nashville Flying Saucer and the Dogfish Head brewery as well as their tap house.

The highlight at the Saucer was trying Bell's Two Hearted Ale. It's probably the best IPA I've ever had, it's right there between Sculpin and 90 minute. They also had a local ESB called Horseshoes and Hand Grenades from Crazy Mountain Brewing. Pretty good and it was very popular.

Now on to Dogfish Head. So I used to say Ommegang is the coolest brewery I've ever visited and it's still one of my favorites and if you are a baseball fan it's a no brainer since the HOF is just down the street. However DFH is freaking spectacular. It starts with their taproom where they have FREE samples and a hour and a half tour. You get 4 samples, two of which they pick for you. Festina Peche and 60 minute, then I added Palo Santo Marron and Alternate Takes #2 which I'm not sure you can get outside of the brewery. It's a wild ale and well over 10% abv.

Their tour starts upstairs in their special release brew house and they have Sam's original brewing setup along with the various continual hop methods he's tried. Then it's off to the big brewery, followed by a trip to their remotely located packaging department.

Right now they do around 250k barrels of beer a year and plan on doubling that for 2017. It's kind of amazing how it's laid out. Milton is a very small town with a population of less than 2600 and there really isn't anything else going on there. You drive through a neighborhood full of old houses and think you are at the wrong place and then BAM a massive brewery right in the middle of the city. Additionally there is a housing development right next door called the Cannery Village.

Sam's original brewery is still in operation in Rehobeth Beach, about 20 miles away. It's currently being renovated but is open for business. Decent food, albeit pricey and they have a few brewpub only beers. It's still where they do test batches of any new recipes but eventually it'll be ran as an independent operation. They also own the restaurant next door and it's more of a tapas type place.

So a good story about the brewpub and Sam himself. He and his wife bought the place and didn't realize that during prohibition the state had banned breweries and never changed the laws. He found this out 3 weeks before the scheduled grand opening and somehow managed to convince the state legislature to change the laws. In 3 weeks, by a 23 year old English major.

What I also didn't know is that Sam lived in NY when he started home brewing and his first batch of beer was a golden ale fermented with cherries. His room mate at the time was Thomas Lennon, more popularly known as Lt. Dangle from Reno 911. Who happened to be friends with Ricki Lake. Sam planned a launch for his beer at their tiny apartment and little did he know that the cherries actually infected the beer and it went sour. So he has a massive party with Ricki Lake and her friends serving an infected beer. They all ended up loving it though and he was invited to be on her show.

That beer was just released for their 20th anniversary as Higher Math.

Comment

• I usually love most dog fish, but I did not like higher math at all, like it was a struggle to finish the glass. My current 2 favorites from Dog Fish are Noble Rot and Burton Baton.

I really want to try their Flesh and Blood IPA, but I haven't been able to find it yet, I'll be in DFW next weekend and I'm hoping to find some while I'm there.

Comment

• So their packaging setup is very unique. The bottling line and all of their storage is at a building that's about a 1/4 mile away. The outside of the building is constructed of Cedar, solely because it repels most insects. They have 11 miles of stainless steel tubing connecting the brew house to the bottling line. It's kind of ridiculous actually but that's how they do things. The entrance has a large elevated patio from where Sam originally planned on installing a zip line that'd take you back to the brewery but his lawyers advised against it.

If you are ever in DC or Philly it's about a 3 hour trip but well worth it in my opinion.

Comment

• The Dog fish brewery is on my short list of places to go in the next few years, sounds like it does not disappoint. I wouldn't even mind going up and staying at their Dog Fish Inn and doing the full blown experience.

Comment

• Originally posted by GrayStangGT View Post
                                I usually love most dog fish, but I did not like higher math at all, like it was a struggle to finish the glass. My current 2 favorites from Dog Fish are Noble Rot and Burton Baton.

I really want to try their Flesh and Blood IPA, but I haven't been able to find it yet, I'll be in DFW next weekend and I'm hoping to find some while I'm there.
                                Flesh and Blood is going to be tough to get, they didn't even have it at the brewery. I think because they are holding the next batch until their canning line is squared away. They are planning on offering it and 60 minute in cans very soon, as in probably this week.

I think my new favorite is Palo Santo Marron. There will likely never be another beer like it since it's illegal to harvest the wood now. It's a 12% abv American Brown Ale, aged in a tank constructed of Palo Santo wood. The story behind the tank is a good one and I'll try to explain it but I'm sure I'm going to miss some parts.

Sam has a friend that deals in exotic wood flooring. He brought in a sample and they aged some beer with it. That beer sold out faster than anything else has at the brewpub so he called the floor guy and asked him to get enough wood to build a tank. He got on a plane to Paraguay and was picked up by a van full of local laborers who were sharpening their machetes and axes for the entire trip. They went to the spot in the jungle and tried chopping down the trees, breaking all of the machetes and axes in the process. The foreman took out his revolver and shot 6 rounds into one of the trees and the bullets deformed and fell on the ground, leaving the tree undamaged.

So Sam had to order a bunch of diamond coated saw blades for the crew to use. Several months later he had his wood loaded up in a shipping container on it's way to Delaware. Now Palo Santo wood is very dense and heavy so heavy in fact that when partially loading a container it'll get flagged by customs. The entire load was seized because they just assumed that somehow it was drug related. It took almost a year for the brewery to get their shipment at a cost of around $140k. Now they have the largest wooden vessel built in the US since prohibition at 10k gallons and it's made of a very rare and exotic wood.

Comment

Working...
                                X