Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• metro diner(across from baylor hospital) is closing

heard on the radio that it will be closing at the end of march

i remember going there since i was a kid! i know a bunch of food/restaurant elitist will come in here and talk shit about it, but i loved that place. one of the best(if not the best) 24hr 'greasy spoon' type diners in dallas

anyways, just wanted to throw that out there

Wow, dude! I'm gonna miss that place...
    ZOMBIE REAGAN FOR PRESIDENT 2016!!! heh

Comment

LOVED that place after a night of debauchery. It will be missed...

Comment

damn, my dad's been at baylor for the past 2 months and I have never eaten there. we always go to OHOP on Lemmon, another good breakfast place. There's a new OHOP in Grapevine across the road from Bone Daddy's.

Comment

Dang. I eat there every time my wife is in Baylor.
          2015 F250 Platinum

Comment

Originally posted by Yale View Post
            Wow, dude! I'm gonna miss that place...
            You're 2,000 miles away. Shouldn't you already miss it?
            How do we forget ourselves? How do we forget our minds?

Comment

Originally posted by Geor! View Post
              You're 2,000 miles away. Shouldn't you already miss it?
              In point of fact, I do. I was taking for granted that It would be around forever, though.
              ZOMBIE REAGAN FOR PRESIDENT 2016!!! heh

Comment

I always drove by the place, but never at a time when I was looking for something to eat. Looked like a pretty cool old school diner though.

Comment

good ass food prob will eat one more tyme

Comment

Worked at Baylor for 11 years, lived in downtown for 3 years, and hung out/partied in Deep Ellum for over 23 years. I am sure I have spent months of hours at that joint.

Comment

Man that is sad, my wife is gonna be pissed! Its been there since I was a little boy.
                      Originally posted by Silverback
                      Look all you want, she can't find anyone else who treats her as bad as I do, and I keep her self esteem so low, she wouldn't think twice about going anywhere else.

Comment

I ate there once, after surgery at Baylor, and was still so fucked up from the drugs I couldn't tell you what I ate or how it tasted.

I do a lot of business with the hospitals over there, so I'm in the area a lot, and the place is always fairly busy. I wonder why they are closing?
                        Originally posted by BradM
                        But, just like condoms and women's rights, I don't believe in them.
                        Originally posted by Leah
                        In other news: Brent's meat melts in your mouth.

Comment

i knew they were being pushed out/over by baylor

found this...

DALLAS — Metro Diner, a 24-hour greasy spoon that'd been on Gaston Avenue for 47 years, will close at the end of March, confirmed an employee at the restaurant.

"Yes, we're closing, but we'll be here until the end of March," she said, before recommending that fans visit the branch in Oak Cliff, also open 24 hours.

Owner Wayne Adams could not be reached; but an employee who worked for him previously said that the space was being taken over by Baylor Medical Center, which intends to mow the space over for expansion.

The Gaston Avenue restaurant opened in 1968, and has lived a long productive life, serving multiple communities including the after-hours crowd from Deep Ellum, as well as breakfast and lunch customers from Baylor and from the neighborhood.

Calls to Baylor were not returned.

The closure of this branch follows the August 2008 closure of the original branch in Preston Center, leaving the branch in Oak Cliff, plus two outside the Dallas-Fort Worth area. Adams also owned Wayne's Beckley Grill, but sold it in September; it's now called Beckley Diner.

UPDATE: The Petal Pusher, the flower shop next door to Metro Diner, is also being asked to vacate the premises, confirmed owner Shelley Robertson.

"Yes, we're leaving, but we're moving, I'm just not sure yet where," Robertson said. "This just got dropped in my lap 10 days ago. It's my living. For legal reasons, all I can say is that a large entity has bought this corner. It's devastating."

Robertson has owned the shop for seven years, but said that the shop had been on the street for close to 60 years.

Comment

the other location at davis/hampton is just as good! baylor will be taking up alot of the establishments around there.. We are doing the new central plant that will be on the old bank of america lot at elm/hall here in a year or so.
                            THE BAD HOMBRE

Comment

I never understood the allure of that place. Service sucks and the food is ok.

Comment

Working...
                              X