Ftnhtsa

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ftnhtsa

This is some serious bullshit! And it is happening right here, allegedly without the knowledge of local police.
    http://www.nbcdfw.com/news/local/Nor...232438621.html
    North Texas Drivers Stopped at Roadblock Asked for Saliva, Blood

Federal survey aimed at determining number of drunk, impaired drivers

By*Scott Gordon

Monday, Nov 18, 2013 *•*Updated 11:38 PM CST

4Some drivers in North Fort Worth on Friday were stopped at police roadblock and directed into a parking lot, where they were asked by federal contractors for samples of their breath, saliva and even blood. The request was part of a government research study aimed at determining the number of drunken or drug-impaired drivers.Some drivers along a busy North Fort Worth street on Friday were stopped at police roadblock and directed into a parking lot, where they were asked by federal contractors for samples of their breath, saliva and even blood.It was part of a government research study aimed at determining the number of drunken or drug-impaired drivers."It just doesn't seem right that you can be forced off the road when you're not doing anything wrong," said Kim Cope, who said she was on her lunch break when she was forced to pull over at the roadblock on Beach Street.The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, which is spending $7.9 million on the survey over three years, said participation was "100 percent voluntary" and anonymous.But Cope said it didn't feel voluntary to her -- despite signs saying it was."I gestured to the guy in front that I just wanted to go straight, but he wouldn't let me and forced me into a parking spot," she said.Once parked, she couldn't believe what she was asked next."They were asking for cheek swabs," she said. "They would give $10 for that. Also, if you let them take your blood, they would pay you $50 for that."At the very least, she said, they wanted to test her breath for alcohol.She said she felt trapped."I finally did the Breathalyzer test just because I thought that would be the easiest way to leave," she said, adding she received no money.Fort Worth police Sgt. Kelley Peel said he could not immediately locate any record of Fort Worth officers being involved in the roadblock but said he was still checking Monday evening.A spokesman for nearby Haltom City police said his department was not involved.NBC DFW confirmed that the survey was done by a government contractor, the Pacific Institute for Research and Evaluation, which is based in Calverton, Md.A company spokeswoman referred questions to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration.An agency spokeswoman sent an email confirming the government is conducting the surveys in 30 cities across the country in an effort to reduce impaired-driving accidents.The survey is 100 percent voluntary and anonymous, she said.But a Fort Worth attorney who is an expert in civil liberties law questioned whether such stops are constitutional."You can't just be pulled over randomly or for no reason," said attorney Frank Colosi.He also noted the fine print on a form given to drivers informs them their breath was tested by "passive alcohol sensor readings before the consent process has been completed.""They're essentially lying to you when they say it's completely voluntary, because they're testing you at that moment," Colosi said.He also questioned the results of the "voluntary" survey -- speculating that drivers who had been drinking or using drugs would be more inclined to simply decline to participate.Cope said she is troubled by what happened."It just doesn't seem right that they should be able to do any of it," she said. "If it's voluntary, it's voluntary, and none of it felt voluntary."
    "It is in truth not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself."

Let that "voluntary" sample come back at .08 blood alcohol content or higher and see what direction the survey takes next.

On the other hand, with no PC to have stopped the driver in the first place, no officer with half a lick of sense is going to touch a case like that.

Just another reason that makes me glad we moved away from the metro-mess.

Comment

I wish shit like this happened to me so I can justify being an asshole easier.

Comment

Originally posted by JP135 View Post
        Let that "voluntary" sample come back at .08 blood alcohol content or higher and see what direction the survey takes next.

On the other hand, with no PC to have stopped the driver in the first place, no officer with half a lick of sense is going to touch a case like that.

Just another reason that makes me glad we moved away from the metro-mess.
        I see you haven't had too many dealings with DPD.
        ZOMBIE REAGAN FOR PRESIDENT 2016!!! heh

Comment

So what do they do if you run through the road block?

Comment

DWI check points are currently a no go in te state of Texas.

Comment

Originally posted by talisman View Post
              So what do they do if you run through the road block?
              They jump on your muthafuckin hood like you stole a tube of engine lube from the parts store!

Comment

Originally posted by Denny View Post
                They jump on your muthafuckin hood like you stole a tube of engine lube from the parts store!

I wouldn't make the rookie mistake of staying in reverse throughout the chase homie!

Comment

Originally posted by talisman View Post
                  I wouldn't make the rookie mistake of staying in reverse throughout the chase homie!
                  Windshield wipers FTW!

Comment

Originally posted by YALE View Post
                    I see you haven't had too many dealings with DPD.
                    Note that I qualified my statement with the officers having "half a lick of common sense". That disqualifies approximately 86% of DPD.

Comment

Originally posted by JP135 View Post
                      Note that I qualified my statement with the officers having "half a lick of common sense". That disqualifies approximately 86% of DPD.
                      Feeling generous today?

Comment

It's going to take a lawsuit again to solve this for a few more years. Class action lawsuit against the company doing it and the federal agency pushing it.
                        I wear a Fez. Fez-es are cool

Comment

Just don't stop.

Comment

That isn't too far from me. I'm gonna go try and get $60. brb.

Comment

The police chief in Fort Worth, Texas, is apologizing after allowing his officers to take part in a federal survey in which random drivers were pulled over and asked to submit breath, saliva and even blood samples.

Fort Worth police set up checkpoints on city streets, and ordered random motorists off the road as part of a nationwide federal survey of alcohol- and drug-impaired driving last week, according to The Star-Telegram. The drivers were asked to pull into a parking lot, where they could give a cheek swab and volunteer for a blood or breath test. Those who agreed were paid $10 to $50. Those who declined were briefly interviewed and allowed to leave.

"We realize this survey caused many of our citizens frustration and we apologize for our participation."
                              - Fort Worth Police Chief Jeffrey Halstead

Some drivers complained of feeling strong-armed into participating, and on Wednesday, Police Chief Jeffrey Halstead apologized.

"We realize this survey caused many of our citizens frustration and we apologize for our participation," Halstead said in a statement. "I agree with our citizens' concerns and I apologize for our participation. "Any future federal survey of this nature, which jeopardizes the public's trust, will not be approved for the use of Fort Worth police."

The survey was conducted by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration. The survey is done every 10 years or so and was reportedly intended to determine the prevalence of alcohol and drug use by drivers. Checkpoints to collect samples have been set up in 30 cities nationwide, and samples remain anonymous, according to federal officials. But law enforcement agencies in other jurisdictions have taken measures to ensure that motorists know it is a "paid volunteer survey," and that they do not have to pull over.

Carl Olund, one driver who was pulled over in Fort Worth, told NBCDFW.com he felt pressured to provide samples of his breath and saliva to the federal workers there. He said he was not told it was voluntary.

"But she was like up in my window to where I was like, 'OK, I might as well just stay.' I mean, the cops are around, so if I take off, I'm not going to have four or five cops chasing me."

An internal review at the department is under way.

Click for more from The Star-Telegram

Click for more from NBCDFW.com

I wear a Fez. Fez-es are cool

Comment

Working...
                              X