• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1/3 acre property... underground

Link for pics:
    http://www.messynessychic.com/2013/0...t-underground/

The 1970s Cold War Era Home built 26 Feet Underground

In "Nostalgia" on September 5, 2013 at 1:16 pm

You wouldn’t happen to be in the market for a 1970s underground family home, equipped to live in for up to a year without resurfacing in the event of a nuclear missile strike that wipes out humanity, would ya? Because it just so happens one has just come onto the market. And this piece of real estate gold could be all yours for the bargain price of $1.7 million.

The subterranean Las Vegas home at 3970 Spencer St. near Flamingo Road boasts a 15,200-square-foot basement beneath a two story home above ground. From the street, number 3970 looks like any other American home, except with a few extra ventilation and air conditioning units planted around the yard. Camouflaged by clusters of rocks, an entrance with an elevator takes you down to the underground lair. Another stairway is hidden inside a shed.

The house was built in 1978 to withstand a nuclear blast by an arguably ‘paranoid’ wealthy businessman, Girard “Jerry” B. Henderson. The ambitious homeowner made his fortune with several companies including Avon cosmetics and Gulfstream Aerospace Corp. In 1964, he tried his hand at another business venture and formed his company, ”Underground World Homes”. Convinced that things with the Soviets weren’t going to end well in the Cold War, Henderson tried pitching his vision of underground living to America. At the New York World’s Fair in the mid sixties, his company sponsored the exhibit, “Why Live Underground”. But if Henderson was going to wait out the end of the world underground, he was going to do it in style.

And when I say style, I’m talking pink kitchen trim, pink toilets, green “grass” carpets, hot tubs, fake trees and a 360-degree mural mimicking an elaborate outdoor landscape, of course.

The house is pretty much a time capsule of 1970s decor, with those handy little amenities such as a toaster built into the kitchen wall. There are three bedrooms in total, one in a guest house (but don’t forget about the two bedroom two-storey house above ground, you know, in case armageddon doesn’t happen).

Henderson originally built a tunnel connecting to the building next door where he worked, but that was later filled in. The “garden” includes a four-hole putting green, a swimming pool, two jacuzzis, a sauna, dance floor, bar, BBQ (camouflaged in a rock) and adjustable light settings for “sunset,” “day,” “dusk” and “night”. The night setting comes complete with twinkling stars, naturally.

Since Henderson and his wife passed away in the 1980s, the house has been acquired by a relative, followed by the most recent owner from Chicago who bought it in 2005 for $2 million, but lost it to foreclosure last summer. It is now the property of Seaway Bank & Trust Co who are looking for some, err, adventurous new owners to take it off their hands. One potential buyer came all the way from Hawaii to see the property with the hopes of turning the time capsule home into a tourist attraction. Amazingly, his business partners didn’t go for it.

I personally think it’s just perfect for the impending zombie apocalypse.

Group buy?

Comment

lol, I PM'ed Danny a link to that awhile back saying we should go in halves.

Comment

That is fucking awesome, seriously.
        "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
        "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

Anyone else think of "Blast from the past" movie?
          sigpic

Comment

If ww3 starts and I'm in Vegas I know where I'll be going

Comment

Originally posted by 01vnms4v View Post
              you and everyone else who has read the listing...it points out a pretty specific location as to where this is located...therefore, one of the LAST places I would think of.
              Originally posted by Sean88gt
              You can take white off the list. White on anything is the best, including vehicles, women, and the Presidency.
              Originally posted by Baron Von Crowder
              You can not imagine how difficult it is to hold a half gallon of moo juice and polish the one-eyed gopher when your doin' seventy-five in an eighteen-wheeler.

Comment

Originally posted by jefehbk View Post
                Anyone else think of "Blast from the past" movie?
                Yep, and the hot Alicia Silverstone.
                Rich

Comment

Originally posted by 01vnms4v View Post
                  Originally posted by Gtracer View Post
                  you and everyone else who has read the listing...it points out a pretty specific location as to where this is located...therefore, one of the LAST places I would think of.
                  not me, if i'm in vegas for the end of the world, im going to sapphires!!

edit for like 15mins this time vs the 7.5 mins i was there for baby bros bachelor party before my OCD kicked in.

god bless.
                  It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men -Frederick Douglass

Comment

forever frost's dream home

Comment

I love it. I can think of some modifications I'd do but I like.
                      I wear a Fez. Fez-es are cool

Comment

Originally posted by Forever_frost View Post
                        I love it. I can think of some modifications I'd do but I like.
                        if I win the lottery tonight, and we can get a good deal on it I'll buy it and let you stay in it when the zombies come

Comment

That's bad@$$!

Comment

Originally posted by Buzzo View Post
                            if I win the lottery tonight, and we can get a good deal on it I'll buy it and let you stay in it when the zombies come
                            Mega millions lottery is tomorrow
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by jefehbk View Post
                              Mega millions lottery is tomorrow
                              you can tell he is excited...

Must have alot of plans for that money already...lol
                              Originally posted by Sean88gt
                              You can take white off the list. White on anything is the best, including vehicles, women, and the Presidency.
                              Originally posted by Baron Von Crowder
                              You can not imagine how difficult it is to hold a half gallon of moo juice and polish the one-eyed gopher when your doin' seventy-five in an eighteen-wheeler.

Comment

Working...
                              X