No announcement yet.

Meeting people as a mechanic.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I was at a parts store one day and a guy came in to buy a can of refrigerant during the purchase he tells them that the high side is the only way to charge it. I politely told him not to try a high side charge if the system was running to which I got told I didn't know what I was talking about. I told the people at the counter to go ahead and call an ambulance for him if he tried it in the parking lot.
    "It's another burrito, it's a cold Lone Star in my hand!"

Comment

• Window motors? Hell yeah! I did 6 this week. People come in non stop to have a light bulb changed. It was annoying cause I am usually busy and have to stop what I am doing, clean up, then pop their bulb in and out. I started telling people $10 per bulb and to my surprise now I get a couple dozen a week! People cant turn a bulb a half turn and pull it out.
      I wish I could do bulbs all day long.
      Good judgment comes from bad decisions and a lot of that comes from bad judgment.

Comment

• Originally posted by LaserSVT View Post
        Yeah, they look at you all crazy when you explain the intake has to be removed and that means you should also replace the intake gaskets (like $8) and they think you are trying to rip them off.
        Just curious as to what you would charge to do coils on a 3.0L 24v engine in a mazda tribute? Friend of mine paid $800 for that job.

Comment

Window motors? Hell yeah! I did 6 this week. People come in non stop to have a light bulb changed. It was annoying cause I am usually busy and have to stop what I am doing, clean up, then pop their bulb in and out. I started telling people $10 per bulb and to my surprise now I get a couple dozen a week! People cant turn a bulb a half turn and pull it out.
          I wish I could do bulbs all day long.
          Thank the auto parts stores for that. When I sold parts people always said could you put it in. Always said no unless its wiper blades. Told them to go to pepboys or a mechanic and they can put in just 1 for like 10 dollars.

Comment

• Id have to look it up at the shop to be sure but to replace all 6 it gets expensive fast because the coils are $75 each. At my shop that would put the bill around $600-$625 after tax.
            Now if they don't mind waiting a week for the parts from my other distributor than the price would be $330 because my other distributor has stellar prices on Ford stuffs.
            Good judgment comes from bad decisions and a lot of that comes from bad judgment.

Comment

Id have to look it up at the shop to be sure but to replace all 6 it gets expensive fast because the coils are $75 each. At my shop that would put the bill around $600-$625 after tax.
              Now if they don't mind waiting a week for the parts from my other distributor than the price would be $330 because my other distributor has stellar prices on Ford stuffs.
              That was my estimate as well, but I'm pretty sure they only did the back 3 coils. And WTF is up with ford coils running so much? I snag mine off ebay for $60 a set, compared to $60 each at the parts house.

Comment

• you're broke because you give away diag and good work

one of my best friends is the same way. I love the guy, but he doesn't put appropriate value on his knowledge and ability.

You obviously help a lot of people, but at the end of the day, you need to take care of yourself or you'll get to a point where you can't help anybody

$65 check-out is ridiculous... $80-90/hr diag or hit the fucking road

you've obviously paid your dues and proven that you're capable of figuring out what's wrong... it's time to make some money at it now. If they don't want to pay, they can take their junk somewhere else

I'm not trying to sound like an asshole here, so please don't take it like that. Not everybody can do what you do, and you should be rewarded for it. Believe in yourself and your abilities and get paid appropriately for them. I wish you nothing but the best
                http://www.truthcontest.com/entries/...iversal-truth/

Comment

• Church!!!!!!
                  Non tapatalk Sig so the butt hurt va-JJs can stop crying about not being able to turn it off.

Comment

• I helped a friend of a friend out by putting front brake pads on his car. 1 day later his AC goes out and asks what I did to it. I don't help people any more. Did it for free too.

Comment

• Originally posted by SSMAN View Post
                      I helped a friend of a friend out by putting front brake pads on his car. 1 day later his AC goes out and asks what I did to it. I don't help people any more. Did it for free too.
                      That always happened to me so I quit working on other people's cars. I got tired of the blame game - ie: Hey, you replaced my brake pads and then the ash tray fell out yesterday - what did you do to my car?

Screw that!

Comment

• Truth.

I have an acquaintance that is a really nice guy, but completely car stupid. His son (who has likely played 90% of the video games ever produced but never been laid) needs brakes on his saturn. We quoted him a low price +parts, he's supposed to come back when he gets paid.

Two weeks later, the car is sitting beside my shop, with the front wheel sitting in front of it. He apparently took the wheel off, nobody knows exactly why. I think he and his buddy were going to do the brakes themselves, but couldnt figure out how to get the caliper off. Either way, he didnt tighten the lugs and the wheel fell off. So then he had to spend almost 200 to have us replace the hub for him, and he had to pay a tow truck.
                        "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

• Originally posted by Cooter View Post
                          you're broke because you give away diag and good work

one of my best friends is the same way. I love the guy, but he doesn't put appropriate value on his knowledge and ability.

You obviously help a lot of people, but at the end of the day, you need to take care of yourself or you'll get to a point where you can't help anybody

$65 check-out is ridiculous... $80-90/hr diag or hit the fucking road

you've obviously paid your dues and proven that you're capable of figuring out what's wrong... it's time to make some money at it now. If they don't want to pay, they can take their junk somewhere else

I'm not trying to sound like an asshole here, so please don't take it like that. Not everybody can do what you do, and you should be rewarded for it. Believe in yourself and your abilities and get paid appropriately for them. I wish you nothing but the best

OP, read this over and over again. Bump your labor $5 an hour. I bet no one even notices. Then do it again 6 months from now, and so on, until you're around the $90-$95 mark. You took the risk moving to the new location. Now it's time to start capitalizing on that. If you keep the shop clean and have a nice waiting area, you can easily command these prices if you're doing things right. You might lose a little business. But that is fine. The extra padding on the other bills will make up for it, and you won't be running around trying to get things done if you lose a customer or two a day.

Comment

• Originally posted by SSMAN View Post
                            I helped a friend of a friend out by putting front brake pads on his car. 1 day later his AC goes out and asks what I did to it. I don't help people any more. Did it for free too.
                            Yeah, no shit. I don't work on anyone's stuff any more for that reason. Same goes for computers. When people ask me if I work on computers, I just tell them I leave that to the company to handle my PC problems.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cooter View Post
                              $80-90/hr diag or hit the fucking road
                              Yep.

One hour minimum and you'll still be cheaper than most "shops" on labor.

Comment

• Customer: "Excuse me young man....remember about 2 years ago, I brought you my 94 Crown Vic because it wouldnt start?"
                                Me: "Yes maam, It had 30,245 miles on it, and found the fuel was dark brown and the spark plugs were fouled..."
                                Customer: "Yes and it's doing the SAME thing...I expect free diag and parts"
                                Me: "Well, it seems you have only driven it 200 miles since you last left here...and the fuel is dark brown again...Im going to have to drain the tank...again...and see what the plugs look like...Now I have to tell you that you are not driving you vehicle enough which is causing your fuel to turn "sour" and fouling out your spark plugs...I can try to clean your plugs...to start will run you $xxx.xx"
                                Customers daughter: "You guys are crooks!!! I will be contacting the Better Business Bureau"
                                Me: "Ok Maam...Have a nice day."

Comment

Working...
                                X