X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• That would be the term Chocolate Milk

Comment

• Originally posted by Torinoman View Post
      Glitter! Oh, that's what you meant by the strip club comment. That went right over my head.... derp
      LOL. I apologize. I did not intend to be obtuse. At least not excessively so.
      Good judgment comes from bad decisions and a lot of that comes from bad judgment.

Comment

• Hey all my mechanic friends. If you have a customer bring a truck in that wont start and you asked him if he checked the inertia switch and was told yes but when the truck came in you still check the switch and see its tripped. You press it and the truck now runs. Do you still charge the 1 hour diagnostics?
        Good judgment comes from bad decisions and a lot of that comes from bad judgment.

Comment

• Originally posted by LaserSVT View Post
          Hey all my mechanic friends. If you have a customer bring a truck in that wont start and you asked him if he checked the inertia switch and was told yes but when the truck came in you still check the switch and see its tripped. You press it and the truck now runs. Do you still charge the 1 hour diagnostics?
          Yes, should it be your problem that customers are stupid? I'm assuming by your post that it took you only couple minutes of your time? Charge him $20 and let him go on his way
          sigpic

Comment

• Depends on if you want him to come back.
            "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

Hey all my mechanic friends. If you have a customer bring a truck in that wont start and you asked him if he checked the inertia switch and was told yes but when the truck came in you still check the switch and see its tripped. You press it and the truck now runs. Do you still charge the 1 hour diagnostics?
              I would charge him. But I would also show them how to check it in case it happens again, because they obviously didn't know what they were doing.

Comment

Hell yes you charge him. A lot of shops have a one hour minimum, plus you gave out the correct advice for free.

Comment

• Originally posted by Baron Von Crowder View Post
                  Depends on if you want him to come back.
                  This. Especially if he's possible future customer material.

Comment

• Originally posted by Baron Von Crowder View Post
                    Depends on if you want him to come back.
                    Depends on if you want him to pay when he comes back.

Charge him whatever your shop minimum is (half hour, 1hr, etc) and tell him it was his inertia switch and show it to him and explain to him how it works. If he gets pissy about how easy it was to fix, tell him that it wasn't so easy because you checked a bunch of different stuff after he told you it wasn't the inertia switch.

He'll realize that you know your shit because you actually told him over the phone for free what the problem was. But he'll also appreciate that you value your time and the health of your business and he won't expect something for nothing in the future, just good quick diag and repair and fair rates.
                    http://www.truthcontest.com/entries/...iversal-truth/

Comment

• His tow bill was the same as my diagnostics charge. He is a repeat customer. Been a couple years. His family also are my customers, about 6 of them.

All my local shop friends say charge but it took me so little time. It also was what I told him to check BEFORE bringing it in. It is a business though and I told him the charges up front. There have been many times where it took me 4 hours to find the problem yet i still only charged the $65 fee.

Hell one of my buddies said a jag showed up tht wouldnt start. They scanned it, tested fuel pressure and then noticed the fuel gauge. They put 3 gallons of gas in it (at $25 per gallon) and charged 2 hours ($125 per) and sent her on her way.

On one hand I need to keep it pure buisiness. On the other I just want to be fair. Thats why I got into this.

Comment

• imo, if he's a good customer and he's spent money with you, and it didnt take you much effort or time to resolve, i say throw him a bone.

Comment

• I know how a somewhat rural shop customer base can be like...because of "Hey...your partner must have pulled this fuse from your fuse box because he felt like it and it took me a whole 3 minutes to put a new one in and fix it, AND you payed a tow charge, come back for an oil change." is one of the reasons Im a week behind both at work and home.

Comment

His tow bill was the same as my diagnostics charge. He is a repeat customer. Been a couple years. His family also are my customers, about 6 of them.

All my local shop friends say charge but it took me so little time. It also was what I told him to check BEFORE bringing it in. It is a business though and I told him the charges up front. There have been many times where it took me 4 hours to find the problem yet i still only charged the $65 fee.

Hell one of my buddies said a jag showed up tht wouldnt start. They scanned it, tested fuel pressure and then noticed the fuel gauge. They put 3 gallons of gas in it (at $25 per gallon) and charged 2 hours ($125 per) and sent her on her way.

On one hand I need to keep it pure buisiness. On the other I just want to be fair. Thats why I got into this.
                            Decide what helps you sleep at night. A customer that has brought you his business as well as his family's business may deserve a little break on this - it doesn't mean he is "stupid" if he didn't know about the inertia switch, or maybe was too embarrassed to admit it (not everyone is a car-guy). I've always been a more-bees-with-hunny believer....you show him what was up and throw him a bone, he'll likely be an even more loyal customer who could bring you even more business....you ask anyone who doesn't know cars, what makes a good mechanic - their first answer is usually honesty. On the other hand, you over charge him for a few minutes of your time, and if he decides to not come back, he'll likely take all of his family with him, in addition to any other future referrals.

Which option carries the least risk?

...and BTW, no offense to you personally, but your buddy is a crook for charging $275 to put gas in someone's car. Those type guys are the reason this business became so cutthroat in the past decade or so....and the reason I got out too.
                            Last edited by Rreemo; 03-05-2015, 09:56 PM.
                            70' Chevelle RagTop
                            (Forever Under Construction)

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.”- Thomas A Edison

Comment

• You mean the last 50 years...

Comment

• It depends on the customer, usually within the first ten seconds of meeting some one I can tell if they came to try to take advantage of you, or if they want your genuine advice because they need help

Charge him for an oil change and change his oil and filter. When he asks how you fixed it just wink and said you know how to talk car and she just needed an oil change

Charging for gas like that should get you fired

You would be surprised how far a kind act will go. Have them thinking that they have the mechanic hookup and you will always be their first call

Comment

Working...
                                X