Meeting people as a mechanic.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by LaserSVT View Post
    Depending on cyl number it could be an easy tune up or an expensive intake gasket. I hate 3.1,3.4,3.8 FWD GM engines.
    I hate anything that's 6 cylinder and front wheel drive. I cringe when I see impalas, grand prix, buicks, taurus pull in the lot

Comment

Do here is one of the nastiest concoctions I have had to deal with. Its the slickest thing I ever felt and when you get it on you it does not come off. Mixture of Dexcool and Dextron mixed over a few months due to a bad trans cooler inside the radiator.

So why did you pour it on the floor?

Comment

• Originally posted by lowthreeohz View Post
        So why did you pour it on the floor?
        Slip n Slide FOO!

Comment

• Radiator fell over.
          Good judgment comes from bad decisions and a lot of that comes from bad judgment.

Comment

Radiator fell over.
            Just place some newspaper on top and call it good.

Comment

• I worked as a line tech at a couple of GM dealers over the years and can say that without a doubt the transmission guys make the biggest messes. I remember seeing so much floor dry one day that it looked like a hamster cage.

About a hundred years ago I worked for Vandergriff Chevrolet when it was on Collins, back when the family still owned it along with the mayor of Arlington. They just finished the brand new dealership on I-20 and Cooper next to Buz Post and had a beautiful service department with light grey epoxied floors. Everyone cleaned their tool boxes and we moved them to the new shop at the same time. Management stressed that they intended on keeping it nice for a long time and we even hired an extra porter just to mop the floors.

So at the old shop we had a bulk supply of Dexron 3 the transmission guys could use from a gun, like what oil change places use. It had an adjustable knob for how many quarts you needed. The new shop had the same setup but for safety reasons the gun didn't auto lock on and wasn't graduated. So the transmission tech decided to bring the gun from the old store since it'd make his life easier. The only thing is that he didn't bother to check and see if the tank was pressurized before unscrewing the old one.

The next thing you know there is 50 gallons of ATF spewing out of this line all over his tool box, the walls, ceiling, floor, his helper and it's even running out onto the service drive. Keep in mind it's light great epoxy on the floors. It was AWESOME! I bet the floor is still slightly pink to this day.

Comment

• dude, thank you! I fucking lawl'd @ the image in my head

Originally posted by BP View Post
                I worked as a line tech at a couple of GM dealers over the years and can say that without a doubt the transmission guys make the biggest messes. I remember seeing so much floor dry one day that it looked like a hamster cage.

About a hundred years ago I worked for Vandergriff Chevrolet when it was on Collins, back when the family still owned it along with the mayor of Arlington. They just finished the brand new dealership on I-20 and Cooper next to Buz Post and had a beautiful service department with light grey epoxied floors. Everyone cleaned their tool boxes and we moved them to the new shop at the same time. Management stressed that they intended on keeping it nice for a long time and we even hired an extra porter just to mop the floors.

So at the old shop we had a bulk supply of Dexron 3 the transmission guys could use from a gun, like what oil change places use. It had an adjustable knob for how many quarts you needed. The new shop had the same setup but for safety reasons the gun didn't auto lock on and wasn't graduated. So the transmission tech decided to bring the gun from the old store since it'd make his life easier. The only thing is that he didn't bother to check and see if the tank was pressurized before unscrewing the old one.

The next thing you know there is 50 gallons of ATF spewing out of this line all over his tool box, the walls, ceiling, floor, his helper and it's even running out onto the service drive. Keep in mind it's light great epoxy on the floors. It was AWESOME! I bet the floor is still slightly pink to this day.
                http://www.truthcontest.com/entries/...iversal-truth/

Comment

• Originally posted by Cooter View Post
                  dude, thank you! I fucking lawl'd @ the image in my head
                  I worked for Montgomery Wards when I was in school as a tire/lube tech and we had the same type of setup for the oil guns. One of the techs there was kind of a dick to us and we knew he was about to do an oil change on his truck so someone switched it from qts to gallons. You'd think a "master tech" would realize it doesn't take 10 minutes to pump 5 qts of oil but apparently not.

So that day I learned that a small block chevrolet engine can hold 5 gallons of oil in the crankcase. Well for a little while at least. It actually started and ran for a little bit but smoked so bad it obviously had something wrong. Amazingly enough once he drained out 4 gallons it ran okay, well once all the residual oil burned off.

Comment

• Originally posted by BP View Post
                    I worked for Montgomery Wards when I was in school as a tire/lube tech and we had the same type of setup for the oil guns. One of the techs there was kind of a dick to us and we knew he was about to do an oil change on his truck so someone switched it from qts to gallons. You'd think a "master tech" would realize it doesn't take 10 minutes to pump 5 qts of oil but apparently not.

So that day I learned that a small block chevrolet engine can hold 5 gallons of oil in the crankcase. Well for a little while at least. It actually started and ran for a little bit but smoked so bad it obviously had something wrong. Amazingly enough once he drained out 4 gallons it ran okay, well once all the residual oil burned off.
                    I worked at Doug Stanley for a short bit after high school, and had to watch over the lube techs that were next to my stall. We had a fresh out of whatever tech school kid come in, boasting about how he was overqualified to be changing oil with all his learning he paid for...

On his first ticket, I lined him out on how to do a parts request, gave him a copy of a cheat sheet we had for oil capacities, etc. We had the guns that had the dial gun for oil, and if you spun it back one click it was just on, forward had 1,2,3,4, etc stops. He was pumping when I went to parts, and 10 mins later, still pumping when I was walking back. I asked him how much he was putting in, and he said it needed more. I pulled the stick and oil was running out the top... I guess he was waiting for it to be coming out the valve cover?
                    "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

• Originally posted by Baron Von Crowder View Post
                      I worked at Doug Stanley for a short bit after high school, and had to watch over the lube techs that were next to my stall. We had a fresh out of whatever tech school kid come in, boasting about how he was overqualified to be changing oil with all his learning he paid for...

On his first ticket, I lined him out on how to do a parts request, gave him a copy of a cheat sheet we had for oil capacities, etc. We had the guns that had the dial gun for oil, and if you spun it back one click it was just on, forward had 1,2,3,4, etc stops. He was pumping when I went to parts, and 10 mins later, still pumping when I was walking back. I asked him how much he was putting in, and he said it needed more. I pulled the stick and oil was running out the top... I guess he was waiting for it to be coming out the valve cover?
                      I remember you telling me that one.

When I was at Duncanville, we had one of our guys fill a car with ATF. That was interesting. At Prestige, we had a lube tech drain and not refill a Navigator in for its first oil change. It locked up on the test drive and the tech walked back to the dealership. he claimed he refilled it, the dipstick was on empty. He got fired and our shop had to put in a brand-new engine.
                      Originally posted by PGreenCobra
                      I can't get over the fact that you get to go live the rest of your life, knowing that someone made a Halloween costume out of you. LMAO!!
                      Originally posted by Trip McNeely
                      Originally posted by dsrtuckteezy
                      dont downshift!!
                      Go do a whooly in front of a Peterbilt.

Comment

• Originally posted by 4king View Post
                        Usually we have to explain what a misfire is, and if it's misfiring on all cylinders they make us print out all codes for every cylinder.

Have yet to see a catastrophic check engine light.

We had a Taurus a couple of weeks ago that had 28 codes. They weren't buying any parts to fix it though, but they were more concerned with getting washer fluid and getting their washer working.
                        68 Coupe- 351w, TFS heads, Comp XE284, 5 speed, Explorer 8.8, 4 Wheel Discs
                        63 Fairlane

Originally posted by forbes
                        i call 1911 first then 911

Comment

• Originally posted by 351Coupe View Post
                          We had a Taurus a couple of weeks ago that had 28 codes. They weren't buying any parts to fix it though, but they were more concerned with getting washer fluid and getting their washer working.
                          Priority's, we all have them.

Comment

• Originally posted by 351Coupe View Post
                            That's impressive! I think my personal record for a vehicle that actually drove is 15. Mine was an Explorer with 3-4 different evap codes, a couple of EGR ones, every transmission solenoid, a couple of speed sensors, all 4 O2 sensors, fuel trims and I think misfire codes for good measure.

Of course they bought the transmission from us and it ran absolutely perfect before installing our part. Sadly if my memory is correct it was one of the 02-04 ones with about 30 different options and we sent a V8 trans for a V6 so it was partially our fault.

Comment

• I worked at vandergriff from 00-02 and this story sounds very familiar..
                              What was his name? If it's the guy I'm thinking of, he was a real fuck stick!

I've also got a good pic of a rat infestation in a f-150, but can't post pic. Keeps saying its too big. Story of my life ��

Originally posted by BP View Post
                              I worked as a line tech at a couple of GM dealers over the years and can say that without a doubt the transmission guys make the biggest messes. I remember seeing so much floor dry one day that it looked like a hamster cage.

Comment

• Originally posted by Super Cubano View Post
                                I worked at vandergriff from 00-02 and this story sounds very familiar..
                                What was his name? If it's the guy I'm thinking of, he was a real fuck stick!
                                Larry but we called him Slick.

Comment

Working...
                                X