Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cost associated with having a will/POA drafted?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cost associated with having a will/POA drafted?

I know we've had some threads around here about having this done, but I'm not sure of cost.

I hold said person's life insurance and am the only contact on any medical records, but I know I need a legal leg (POA) to stand on when it comes down to it so his spouse (not married) nor my parents are in the mix.

Now, the will would be very simple since I already hold life insurance to simply everything being handed over to me to handle how we've discussed and I see fit. Someone mentioned just drawing up one myself and notarizing it, but I'd like an actual legal document.

Any idea on a ballpark cost? Anyone here do this or have a recommendation?

You can go to your bank and have a POA drawn up for free (or maybe a small change for the Notary). I did it for my mother at Bank of America years ago when she was slipping into dementia/Alzheimers. A POA for a relative is a "powerful" tool to have if you need to conduct day to day business for your relative. Believe me, in the State of Texas, a POA opens all the doors for you with no questions asked. None!

I had a Living trust/Will/POA. etc. drawn up by a lawyer well versed in this and it was not cheap, but worth it in my family situation.
    Mustangs previously owned:
    1967 Coupe V8 (My first car)
    1992 LX AOD
    1993 LX Drag Car
    1995 GTS
    1997 Cobra
    2000 Cobra R

2002 Corvette C5 A4 10.64@ 127.1
    Undercover SC Dragster 8.10's

In the garage now....
    2016 Honda Accord Touring
    2015 F-150 Silver 5.0 XLT SuperCrew, like new condition

Retired 2008 after 41 years as an EE at LTV (Garland)/TI/Raytheon. Enjoying ham radio now.

Comment

lol geor's really giving it up isnt he.

Comment

I just constructed a will on legalzoom for $149.
        Originally posted by davbrucas
        I want to like Slow99 since people I know say he's a good guy, but just about everything he posts is condescending and passive aggressive.

Most people I talk to have nothing but good things to say about you, but you sure come across as a condescending prick. Do you have an inferiority complex you've attempted to overcome through overachievement? Or were you fondled as a child?

You and slow99 should date. You both have passive aggressiveness down pat.

Comment

I did a POA for my Mom a few yrs back on Legalzoom and it wasn't to bad like 99.00

Comment

Originally posted by RWhite View Post
            You can go to your bank and have a POA drawn up for free (or maybe a small change for the Notary). I did it for my mother at Bank of America years ago when she was slipping into dementia/Alzheimers. A POA for a relative is a "powerful" tool to have if you need to conduct day to day business for your relative. Believe me, in the State of Texas, a POA opens all the doors for you with no questions asked. None!

I had a Living trust/Will/POA. etc. drawn up by a lawyer well versed in this and it was not cheap, but worth it in my family situation.
            I will call both of my banks and see what they say as currently the POA is the most important. A Chaplain at Baylor did my mother's.

Originally posted by lo3oz View Post
            lol geor's really giving it up isnt he.
            We are no longer together.

Comment

The legal answer: it depends.

Comment

there are 2 main types of POA's

Medical and Durable....The Durable allows you to have control over the persons finances and assets...It cost me at an attorney right at 1,000 for a new will and both POA's

Comment

Originally posted by black50 View Post
                  there are 2 main types of POA's

Medical and Durable....The Durable allows you to have control over the persons finances and assets...It cost me at an attorney right at 1,000 for a new will and both POA's
                  I'm sure some would say I paid too much, but this is about what I paid for wills, POA, living wills, guardianship stuff, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck_Finley View Post
                    I'm sure some would say I paid too much, but this is about what I paid for wills, POA, living wills, guardianship stuff, etc.
                    I had that for myself and my wife plus a Living Trust, so $1K is not out of the question for what you got. When I went to an attorney for my mother's situation, it was $250 an hour (2004) and most of that time was talking to a paralegal type.
                    Mustangs previously owned:
                    1967 Coupe V8 (My first car)
                    1992 LX AOD
                    1993 LX Drag Car
                    1995 GTS
                    1997 Cobra
                    2000 Cobra R

2002 Corvette C5 A4 10.64@ 127.1
                    Undercover SC Dragster 8.10's

In the garage now....
                    2016 Honda Accord Touring
                    2015 F-150 Silver 5.0 XLT SuperCrew, like new condition

Retired 2008 after 41 years as an EE at LTV (Garland)/TI/Raytheon. Enjoying ham radio now.

Comment

Working...
                    X