towing a bike in a uhaul

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• towing a bike in a uhaul

Need some help figuring this one out. I rented a 5x8 enclosed uhaul to tow behind my truck on my move from Ohio back to TX. I will be loading my bike along with a couch and loveseat. Looking for the best way to tie the bike down to one side of the trailer as to leave room on the other side for the furniture.

I've measured it out and know it will fit, just need to know which points on the bike to strap down to one side.

Thanks
    The richest man in Babylon

Ive done this in a 17 footer on a move. Just strap it in well, and itll be fine.

I put mine on its kickstand and put straps on that side first and then on the other with equal pressure.

Comment

Well if I strap down both sides the straps will be in the way of the furniture. Guess I could load the bike last and work around them.
      The richest man in Babylon

Comment

put it in the middle with some good quality straps

Comment

No matter how much you strap it, be sure and pull over and check it a few times in the first 5-50 miles.

I also recommend a wheel chock.

Comment

If you have stands another option is to put it on the stands. Strap the stands together (front to back) Then run the straps outwards to keep it from tipping. I've done this with an enclosed trailer that had no tie down spots on the floor. Albeit it was a short trip (30 miles).

Comment

For sport bikes I always use a bar strap. Usually I will also hook at the test foot peg brackets to add stability. I've never had mine in an enclosed, but expect it to be similar to a small trailer or truck bed. I've had 2 sport bikes on a 4x8 and it was damn near impossible to keep them from swaying, but did better than 2k miles to Daytona and back without incident.

Comment

Canyon dancer

Comment

Originally posted by shumpertdavid View Post
                  For sport bikes I always use a bar
                  x2.. i have no experince in chocks, but tou could look into getting chcoks for the wheels.

Comment

When I moved to San Diego I cinched it to the front and one side wall with blankets all around and in between. I had a moving company move me to Sacramento, and I had them do the same.

Comment

Originally posted by lowthreeohz View Post
                      Canyon dancer
                      This is what I'd try

Comment

Working...
                      X