Interstate Driving 101...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interstate Driving 101...

here is a list of helpful ways to make everyone's commute a little better...

1) SLOWER TRAFFIC KEEP RIGHT: if you choose to drive the speed limit or under, that is your prerogative. however, please do it in the right lane only! and if, God forbid, you come upon an even slower driver that is in front of you in said lane, feel free to accelerate slightly when passing. passing while on cruise control at 70 mph is not the answer.

2) THE ASSHOLE BEHIND YOU IN THE LEFT LANE IS NOT FLASHING HIS BRIGHT LIGHTS TO HELP YOU BETTER SEE YOUR TEXT MESSAGES: if you find yourself in the left lane and are either pacing the cars in the right lane or getting passed by them and you notice the huge truck behind you flashing his brights while riding your ass, it is a very subtle way of asking you to slide over into the right lane.

3) IF YOU ARE IN THE RIGHT LANE CRUISING BEHIND ANOTHER DRIVER AND YOU CHOOSE TO PASS, PLEASE DO NOT PULL IN FRONT OF THE ASSHOLE IN THE SUPER DUTY WHO IS SCREAMING UPON YOU IN THE LEFT LANE: gauge the closing ratio between your car and the car you want to pass and compare it to the closing ratio between said asshole and you. if said asshole is closing faster, wait until he passes you, then get in behind him.

added after the original post...

4) IF YOU ARE IN THE LEFT LANE CRUISING AT OR JUST ABOVE THE SPEED LIMIT ON CRUISE CONTROL AND THE 18 WHEELER IN THE RIGHT LANE IS COMING UP ON TRAFFIC IN FRONT OF HIM THAT HE INTENDS TO PASS AND HE PUTS ON HIS LEFT BLINKER: feel free to give it a little more gas and pass him so he can get in behind you, or slow down and flash your bright lights, letting him know you are allowing him to get over in front of you. don't be the one oblivious to everything going on around you and then get pissed when, after a good 7 or 8 seconds of letting you know his intent, he cuts you off because of your lack of decision making.

5) IF YOU ARE COMING UP ON ROAD CONSTRUCTION OR OTHER VARIATION OF A CLOSED LANE: put on your turn signal asap and try to merge into a through-lane as smoothly as possible. DON'T be the guy that decides to hammer down and pass as many cars as possible up to the actual point of the barrier closing the lane, then get pissed when everyone you passed to get to that point will not let you over.

5a) IF YOU ARE IN THE THROUGH-LANE HEADING INTO A LANE CLOSURE: be the guy that allows one or two cars to merge in front of you. traffic will most likely be stopping or slowing way down soon anyway, and this helps with the overall flow (unless, of course, the one wanting to merge was the guy that tried to speed past everyone who had already properly merged)

6) IF YOU ARE IN THE LEFT LANE DRIVING SLOW AND YOU NOTICE THE AFOREMENTIONED ASSHOLE BEHIND YOU FLASHING HIS BRIGHTS: don't add insult to injury by moving into the right lane as slowly as you can. if you are caught in this situation, put on your right blinker and as soon as is safe, PLEASE GET THE FUCK OVER. QUICKLY.

please feel free to post up and add to this list. thanks for listening to my rant...
    Last edited by TonyMCev; 01-29-2011, 07:28 PM.

99% of drivers out there can't judge closing distance for shit, let alone comprehending proper driving etiquette. That's why smaller, faster, nimbler cars are better. I've been known to pass people on improved and semi-improved shoulders before.

Comment

and thats the reason we would never have an autobon type freeway in america..

Comment

I'm glady Big Studley isn't here to disagree and argue with all of those points.

Comment

Originally posted by Neil View Post
          I've been known to pass people on improved and semi-improved shoulders before.
          I have only done that once MANY years ago. Too much debris on the shoulder that can get in my tires or rain down on people behind me.

Comment

Originally posted by EW View Post
            I have only done that once MANY years ago. Too much debris on the shoulder that can get in my tires or rain down on people behind me.
            Yeah, when I was 16. Too much risk.
            Originally posted by MR EDD
            U defend him who use's racial slurs like hes drinking water.

Comment

I remember listening to something on the radio about this a few years ago. They had people call in and give their opinion, advice, etc about what lanes were for what. You would be blown away about what some people said..... Some people had no clue the left lane was for passing, and some of the other bullshit they would say was baffling.
              Originally posted by Cmarsh93z
              Don't Fuck with DFWmustangs...the most powerfull gang I have ever been a member of.

Comment

There are too many people who don't realize that there's anything beyond the confines of their passenger compartment. Situational awareness > them.

Oh and...CHECK YOUR FUCKING MIRRORS EVERY ONCE IN A WHILE PEOPLE!
                "It is in truth not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself."

Comment

While I'll generally swap lanes to let someone by if they're approaching me and going considerably faster, if they flash their lights at me, I squat in the lane. I drive in my mirrors and am uber aware of my surroundings, I don't need some dolt flashing their lights at me, they can find a way to go around.

Comment

There are a lot of things that annoy me on the road.

Slow people in the left lane: MOVE OVER
                    People who do not know how to yield onto a highway: Speed up or slow down but stop effing pacing me then look at me retarded when I don't let you in.
                    People who have to cut 3 people off to make their exit or their turn: Everyone says they agree with this but a lot are guilty of it. I will drive another 3 miles to make my exit or turn without affecting everyone and causing them to jump on their brakes. That pisses me off probably the most..
                    Don't Fuck with DFWmustangs...the most powerfull gang I have ever been a member of.

Comment

i used to hate that 18 wheelers had to stay out of the left lane in states such as California, but the more driving I do around the metroplex the more these 18 wheelers in the far left lane doing 60 mph is pissing me off- get the fuck over.

Comment

Originally posted by SMKR View Post
                        i used to hate that 18 wheelers had to stay out of the left lane in states such as California, but the more driving I do around the metroplex the more these 18 wheelers in the far left lane doing 60 mph is pissing me off- get the fuck over.
                        I don't understand why people hate this so much. I don't understand it I guess just because I have never really experienced it.

Everytime I come up on an 18 wheeler they usually get over when they can. If I am on a bike, car, truck, or 18 wheeler I don't want to go 55 in the right lane if I can go 70 in the left lane or in front of the douche going 55. In my experience, they usually get over as soon as traffic permits. If they do that, I don't have a problem with it. You are going to be "slowed down" regardless if it is an 18 wheeler or a mini cooper in front of you.

Comment

Originally posted by 347Mike View Post
                          I don't understand why people hate this so much. I don't understand it I guess just because I have never really experienced it.

Everytime I come up on an 18 wheeler they usually get over when they can. If I am on a bike, car, truck, or 18 wheeler I don't want to go 55 in the right lane if I can go 70 in the left lane or in front of the douche going 55. In my experience, they usually get over as soon as traffic permits. If they do that, I don't have a problem with it. You are going to be "slowed down" regardless if it is an 18 wheeler or a mini cooper in front of you.
                          The reason I hate it so much is they do 60 in the hammer lane, and traffic stacks up 8-10 cars deep behind them and it creates a massive log jam. If they would just move to the right and let faster traffic go, it would be fine. Hell, run the middle lane, but dont run in the hammer lane if you are doing the speed limit.

Comment

Repost from Canada !!!

But I DO agree 100 %
                            Vortex rear stand $75
                            8.8 410s. $50

**SKAGG NASTY**
                            My goal in life is to not arrive at the grave in a well preserved body.
                            but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "holy shit!!!.. what a ride!"

1990 Foxbody GT for that ass
                            11 4 door
                            13 FX2 White 5.0

Comment

Originally posted by 347Mike View Post
                              There are a lot of things that annoy me on the road.

People who have to cut 3 people off to make their exit or their turn: Everyone says they agree with this but a lot are guilty of it. I will drive another 3 miles to make my exit or turn without affecting everyone and causing them to jump on their brakes. That pisses me off probably the most..
                              This one. These are also the same people that almost cause accidents and then have the gall to flip you off for their incompetence.

Comment

Working...
                              X