No announcement yet.

Service King to Acquire Sterling Autobody Centers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Big companies like S.K will put me out of business before I'm up and running efficiently

Comment

Originally posted by BP View Post
      The cool thing about that industry is that for the most part it's a hobby, meaning your customer has discretionary income and usually an alternate means of transportation. Generally they won't be in a hurry but they will be willing to pay a premium if they are. Plus they appreciate good work and will refer friends instead of going down the street to save $5. If you get a really good reputation you can pick your customers.
      This is exactly what Im thinking.

Originally posted by sosoe View Post
      Big companies like S.K will put me out of business before I'm up and running efficiently
      This is why I eventually decided not to open my own full fledge bodyshop.

Comment

Originally posted by Baron Von Crowder View Post
        Id like to get out of automotive completely.
        The issue is finding something that pays the same.

Comment

Originally posted by Scott Mc View Post
          The issue is finding something that pays the same.
          Preaching to the choir. Thats the main reason Im still in the industry. I have a pretty good resume with management positions, but it's tough to find open positions where i fit that pay similar.
          "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

Preaching to the choir. Thats the main reason Im still in the industry. I have a pretty good resume with management positions, but it's tough to find open positions where i fit that pay similar.
            Man, right there with you!

Comment

Originally posted by sosoe View Post
              There's no crying in baseball.

Do something that sets yourself apart from them. They can't "put you out of business" unless you want to be out of it.
              Originally posted by BradM
              But, just like condoms and women's rights, I don't believe in them.
              Originally posted by Leah
              In other news: Brent's meat melts in your mouth.

Comment

I had service king in McKinney repaint a rear bumper on a car that got lightly rear ended (no damage except to the old paint on the new car I had bought 4 days earlier - damn it!). The repair lasted for about a year and then the paint started checking and cracking and then finally started flaking off.

I just deeded the car over to my soon to be ex-wife so it's not my problem anymore.

Shitty repair work. I'd never go back to them for anything.

Comment

your average consumer has no idea what he or she is doing.

mso's will be about your only option in ten to fifteen years. the majority of the quality "mom and pop" body shops will not survive for their customers will be steered to the shop where the insurance company has a contract. smaller dealerships without four or more large insurance company repair program contracts will start to see their collision center is not profitable, and possibly close the doors. of course the larger ones will probably stay open. town east ford for one, with the direction ford is going with their cars(F150 so far). somewhat like german car companies with the materials they use and certifications required.

the joke i hear has always been service king loses every other customer. one person will come back because they had a great experience, the next will curse the day they dropped their car off at that shop.

i will be a hypocrite, but one day i might just have to work sk or caliber. but i think the days of a high volume, number running estimator are closing as well.

Comment

Man, that type of deal is all over the automotive industry. Almost everyone I know that is in it "wants out" in their mid 30's, but the pay keeps them there. I was having the same problem, before I inadvertently "retired."

Originally posted by mikeb View Post
                    I
                    I just deeded the car over to my soon to be ex-wife so it's not my problem anymore.

? Damn, I'm really sorry to hear that Mike.

Comment

Originally posted by jammeejamm View Post
                      your average consumer has no idea what he or she is doing.

mso's will be about your only option in ten to fifteen years. the majority of the quality "mom and pop" body shops will not survive for their customers will be steered to the shop where the insurance company has a contract. smaller dealerships without four or more large insurance company repair program contracts will start to see their collision center is not profitable, and possibly close the doors. of course the larger ones will probably stay open. town east ford for one, with the direction ford is going with their cars(F150 so far). somewhat like german car companies with the materials they use and certifications required.

the joke i hear has always been service king loses every other customer. one person will come back because they had a great experience, the next will curse the day they dropped their car off at that shop.

i will be a hypocrite, but one day i might just have to work sk or caliber. but i think the days of a high volume, number running estimator are closing as well.
                      Dealerships are already looking at their bodyshops that way. Many of them have closed, or have leased the building to an MSO.
                      "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

agreed, but we will start to see shops that were actually a significant player in their market close their doors as well.

Comment

Originally posted by jammeejamm View Post
                          agreed, but we will start to see shops that were actually a significant player in their market close their doors as well.
                          True. You are obviously in the biz, where at? PM if you want.

Comment

I see nothing but truth in this thread....

Comment

Working...
                            X