• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• N. Texas farmer says deputy shot, killed his dog without reason

N. Texas farmer says deputy shot, killed his dog without reason

Posted: Apr 23, 2014 6:12 PM CST Updated: Apr 23, 2014 6:12 PM CST
    By: Lari Barager - bioemail

A Rains County, TX farmer says his dog was killed recently by a sheriff’s deputy for no good reason, and now that farmer’s campaign on Facebook is getting national attention.

The deputy, though, says the dog, Candy, threatened his safety.

Candy’s owner, Cole Middleton, is a third generation dairy farmer.

Last week, someone broke into Middleton’s house. He was on his tractor when the deputy arrived to investigate.

Middleton could see Candy in the bed of his truck, and when the deputy walked up to the house, Candy jumped down. She was barking, and then Middleton lost sight of her.

“The officer comes down and says, ‘Sir, I'm sorry, I shot your dog -- she charged me,’” said Middleton. “I became very hysterical and very upset…I said, ‘No, no, no…you shot my baby.’”

Candy was more than just a pet to Middleton -- the 2-year-old Blue Heeler was his work partner, always by his side.

After the shooting, the deputy called for backup, and Middleton pulled out his phone and started recording.

“What I'm saying is the man pulls up without cause and shoots my dog,” Middleton can be heard saying in the video.

“Your dog charged me, buddy,” the deputy says.

“No, no,” says Middleton.

“I got it on dash cam man; your dog charged me,” says the deputy.

Wednesday morning, the sheriff let Middleton watch the dash cam footage from the incident. He says it doesn't show Candy charge the deputy.

Middleton had Candy's body examined by a veterinarian. The findings “suggest Candy was shot while retreating from the shooter.”

Sheriff David Traylor told FOX 4 he regrets what happened, and his deputy is on administrative leave.

The sheriff is investigating the incident, but Middleton says what happened is inexcusable.

Dallas news, headlines, weather, sports and traffic from KDFW FOX 4 News, serving Dallas-Fort Worth, North Texas and the state of Texas.
    I wear a Fez. Fez-es are cool

I dont understand how a grown ass man feels threatened by a dog.

Comment

This shit is making me sick. A dog is very good at sensing the evil in a person, maybe that's why so many are getting shot by crooked ass cops.
      "Yeeeeehhhhhaaaaawwwww that's my jam"

Comment

Sorry piece of shit!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Sleeper View Post
          With a gun, pepper spray, a baton and a car he can retreat to, no less.
          Originally posted by racrguy
          What's your beef with NPR, because their listeners are typically more informed than others?
          Originally posted by racrguy
          Voting is a constitutional right, overthrowing the government isn't.

Comment

Originally posted by Broncojohnny View Post
            With a gun, pepper spray, a baton and a car he can retreat to, no less.

..and a taser. It's a good thing some of these guys don't carry around tactical nuclear warheads in case a bird flies near them.

Comment

I think Police just want to shoot their guns so they always tend to shoot animals. Animals cant sue and it isn't a crime. Why not?

Comment

Originally posted by Sleeper View Post
                Depends on the dog but I don't see that being the case with a Blue Heeler.

Comment

Originally posted by Trip McNeely View Post
                  I think Police just want to shoot their guns so they always tend to shoot animals. Animals cant sue and it isn't a crime. Why not?
                  There's an adrenaline rush in shooting a living creature and if you can do it, get paid to do it and nothing happens to you for doing it? You're going to kill small things and work your way up to shooting people. Fairly well understood psychological stepping stones. Brutality to animals lead to brutality towards people.

Comment

I pray that I am never in that man's shoes, because I would probably go off the deep end and kill the fuck out of everything that officer loves before I killed the fuck out of him.

#madashellandnotgoingtotakeitanymore
                    http://www.truthcontest.com/entries/...iversal-truth/

Comment

strike that, I'd just kill the fuck out of him on the spot... with my hands...
                      http://www.truthcontest.com/entries/...iversal-truth/

Comment

Originally posted by Cooter View Post
                        strike that, I'd just kill the fuck out of him on the spot... with my hands...
                        I wouldn't. I'd be very understanding and offer him a cup of coffee as you know his nerves are shot after making such a shot in a life or death situation. Just sit right there, let me go make you a cup.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Forever_frost View Post
                            I wouldn't. I'd be very understanding and offer him a cup of coffee as you know his nerves are shot after making such a shot in a life or death situation. Just sit right there, let me go make you a cup.
                            Lol oh shit

Comment

Originally posted by Country cracker View Post
                              This shit is making me sick. A dog is very good at sensing the evil in a person, maybe that's why so many are getting shot by crooked ass cops.
                              This was my exact thought after reading the article and watching the video. That dog sensed something with that deputy.

I would venture to say he heard the tractor and started to retreat to the truck when the deputy decided to shoot.

Originally posted by Cooter View Post
                              I pray that I am never in that man's shoes, because I would probably go off the deep end and kill the fuck out of everything that officer loves before I killed the fuck out of him.

#madashellandnotgoingtotakeitanymore

I just got done watching Law Abiding Citizen...
                              Originally posted by Leah
                              Best balls I've had in my mouth in a while.

Comment

Working...
                              X