The recession has affected junkyards!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The recession has affected junkyards!

From 2000 until 2007 I was at area junkyards most weekends. This weekend I went to Pick-n-Pull for the first time in nearly 4 years. Man has the recession affected junkyards! Beat to hell cars that have been picked clean.

Back in the day, PNP was neatly laid out, with the cars in specific sections, the cars were fairly "fresh" with lots of good parts cheap. Now the cars are not so orderly in layout (particularly imports), are picked CLEAN of good parts. Now they charge for every bolt, bracket, switch or wiring on every part! Made the prices much higher.

Since fewer cars are being junked, less rolling stock coming in. Looked like less people worked there.

Scott

I'd also submit that the cash for "clunkers" failure put quite a hit on them too.

Comment

Not all of them are hurting. Pick n pull's bread and butter was scrap, which tanked the last few years. They'll be back when steel rebounds.

Comment

Originally posted by BP View Post
        Not all of them are hurting. Pick n pull's bread and butter was scrap, which tanked the last few years. They'll be back when steel rebounds.
        How high does it need to go for them?

Comment

Originally posted by Denny View Post
          How high does it need to go for them?
          Probably $350-$400 a ton like it was before the Chinese olympics.

Comment

Working...
          X