Anyone know boat motors?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone know boat motors?

So I aquired a free boat yesterday(project) has title to trailer, boat, and motor, and it needs some work.

It floats I know that tried that yesterday and doesn't take on water

My thinking was to start with the motor and make sure it was usable, Force 80hp 2 stroke, no ideal but figured for free, not a bad place to start. I wanted to have it checked out to make sure it's in ok shape to work or cost effective to rebuild.

Where is a good place to start after a compression test? Figured I'd check the lower unit see what shape the oil was in, however I don't know where to go after that.

Never really worked on an outboard before, and was hoping to see if someonecould point me in the right direction.

I'm a motorboater
    Putting warheads on foreheads since 2004

Pro-Touring Build

Comment

Check the compression and ignition on each cylinder... then look at the condition of the gear lube in the lower unit... any one major repair will far exceed the total value of the motor... probably the reason it was parked in the first place.

If you do happen to get it fired up, DON"T run it without water to the inlets on the gear case... even only a few seconds will fry the water pump impeller.

mardyn

Comment

Force motors aren't the best but would make an alright motor as long as you don't have to dump much money into to.
        1check compression with all the plugs out and the throttle open all the way.
        2 check lower unit.
        3 basic tune up plugs,wires, fuel line and filter
        4 have carbs rebuilt
        5 replace all seals in lower unit you can get a seal kit for like $30
        6 replace water pump.
        7 sell it or use it
        "Yeeeeehhhhhaaaaawwwww that's my jam"

Comment

Originally posted by mardyn View Post
          Check the compression and ignition on each cylinder... then look at the condition of the gear lube in the lower unit... any one major repair will far exceed the total value of the motor... probably the reason it was parked in the first place.
          This was one of the main reasons for the thread was to see what I could do before spending a dime on it to see if it was worth it. Or will I have to spend a couple bucks on it to truely know if it is a useable motor?

If you do happen to get it fired up, DON"T run it without water to the inlets on the gear case... even only a few seconds will fry the water pump impeller.
          Yeah I was assuming that, there should be a stream of water coming out to let me know it's circulating water correct?

mardyn

Originally posted by Country cracker View Post
          Force motors aren't the best but would make an alright motor as long as you don't have to dump much money into to.
          1check compression with all the plugs out and the throttle open all the way.
          2 check lower unit.
          3 basic tune up plugs,wires, fuel line and filter
          4 have carbs rebuilt
          5 replace all seals in lower unit you can get a seal kit for like $30
          6 replace water pump.
          7 sell it or use it
          Good start, like I said above I'm assuming I'll need to replace a few gaskets and water pump and a few misc items if it is an ok motor, just didn't know how far I needed to go before having to spend money without knowing if it, the spending, was in vain.

Comment

Free boat? Sounds about as free as herpes...

Comment

Originally posted by Sean88gt View Post
              Free boat? Sounds about as free as herpes...
              You're just mad no one will give you herpes...

Comment

Find a used battery and put it in there... test compression first.. if that's good move to ignition, if both of those are acceptable, start on the gear case. It's not hard to check if you've got basic skills and an understanding of what you're looking at. If the basics are OK, a few more dollars to get it going wouldn't be too bad.

If you have to take it somewhere to have it checked, you'll probably spend 100.00 for the check out and estimate of repairs.

It likely needs carbs cleaned and water pump impeller at minimum... probably 400.00 or so.

Use caution... they're expensive to repair and worth very little if they don't run... hence the reason it was given to you.

Good Luck
                mardyn

Comment

Working...
                X