30k millionaires

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 30k millionaires

I see you guys posting up about 30k millionaires here's your chance to be on tv!

$30,000 millionaires wanted for reality TV show
    By Sarah Blaskovich

sblaskovich@dallasnews.com
    8:43 am on July 3, 2014

If you're paying $15 for a martini and charge it on two credit cards, you might be a $30,000 millionaire.

Former KTVT-TV (Channel 11) reporter Jay Gormley thought “Dallas was the richest place on Earth” when he moved here in the late ’90s. He watched twentysomethings valet their BMWs and spend $15 on a mixed drink, only to learn later they were living on maxed-out credit cards and driving leased luxury cars.

“They live like rock stars on shoestring budgets,” Gormley said of this class of Dallasites he helped popularize as “$30,000 millionaires.”

Cue the potential reality TV show. Producers are considering candidates now for $30,000 Millionaires, according to this casting call.

Requirements: must make less than $40,000 a year; drive a “pimpin’ ride”; dress fashionably; and hit the clubs. A lot.

The show will be based at least in part upon a screenplay Gormley and co-writer John Venable penned in 2005. It came close to getting picked up for film but never made it through the final stages, Gormley says. The research and writing made Gormley and Venable students of the $30,000 millionaires in Dallas, however, and behind all the binge-partying and sparkly graphic tees is a larger story about personal debt, Gormley says.

“It’s more than just laughable. It was such a reflection of our economic times. Some of these guys were juggling five or six credit cards,” he says.

No word yet on if a network is interested in the show, though the casting call sheet claims the producers behind $30,000 Millionaires were involved with Jersey Shore, The Osbournes, Pimp My Ride, Punk’d and Jackass.
    BARBIE LOVES BULLITT991 3.17.07
    I'm a Barbie girl...In my Barbie world...
    PROUD OWNER: '04 AZURE BLUE MACH 1

Someone needs to welcome these guys to 7 years ago.

Comment

Originally posted by talisman View Post
      Someone needs to welcome these guys to 7 years ago.
      9 years ago.

The show will be based at least in part upon a screenplay Gormley and co-writer John Venable penned in 2005.

Comment

About 9, Dfwm true stories!

Comment

at least 10 yrs ago. Thank God I never got on that merry go round ride!

Comment

Where do I sign-up?

Comment

How does one juggle credit cards? Either you have open credit, or you don't.

Comment

Originally posted by Big A View Post
                Max out credit card, pay minimum and then use that balance.

Comment

Originally posted by mstng86 View Post
                  Max out credit card, pay minimum and then use that balance.
                  Sounds like it would make Dave Ramsey's head explode.

Comment

Originally posted by MattB View Post
                    Sounds like it would make Dave Ramsey's head explode.
                    Fuck Dave Ramsey, that shit makes my head explode.

Comment

Originally posted by Big A View Post
                      another method is to open multiple cards and move the debt from card to card creating the illusion that its being payed

Comment

Originally posted by John -- '02 HAWK View Post
                        another method is to open multiple cards and move the debt from card to card creating the illusion that its being payed
                        Yup

Get credit card, max out.
                        Get another card with a big balance transfer availability, transfer balance from first card.

rinse, lather, repeat. You can even pay the minimum payment from the cards with the cards.
                        "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

Originally posted by Baron Von Crowder View Post
                          Yup

Get credit card, max out.
                          Get another card with a big balance transfer availability, transfer balance from first card.

rinse, lather, repeat. You can even pay the minimum payment from the cards with the cards.
                          For awhile...

Comment

30k Millionaire is so ten years ago, I have elevated the art form to 30K Billionaire.

Comment

Part of the reason this keeps going on is the cheap rents here in Dallas as compared to other cities. For $1500 a month you can have a shoebox in uptown and a BMW lease.
                              Originally posted by racrguy
                              What's your beef with NPR, because their listeners are typically more informed than others?
                              Originally posted by racrguy
                              Voting is a constitutional right, overthrowing the government isn't.

Comment

Working...
                              X