Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cop May Cost NYC Taxpayers $90 million

By Pascal

In the past decade, civil suits against the NYPD have more than doubled, hitting a record high of 9,500 in 2012. They’ve cost taxpayers $1 billion and tend to result from such outstanding police work as making false arrests and shooting people’s pets. Now, the city might be on the hook for another $90 million thanks to a NYPD officer who got drunk and allegedly started shooting at a stopped car for no apparent reason . . .

If you’re an Irresponsible Gun Owner of the Day fan, you may remember that the two men suing the department—Joseph Felice and Robert Borrelli—were waiting at a red light when a drunken Officer Brendan Cronin (above) unloaded 14 shots into their vehicle. Felice was hit six times, but his friend was able to rush him to the hospital in time to save his life.

“I honestly don’t know how we survived this unprovoked ambush, or why he chose to single out Joe and myself for his vicious rampage,” Borrelli said, according to the AP.

Court documents obtained by the Lohud Journal News show that Cronin told police he had stopped at a bar after a day spent training at a NYPD shooting range. He had 10 drinks there and says he doesn’t remember much of what happened next. In addition to the civil suit, he now faces charges of attempted murder, first-degree assault and driving while intoxicated, reports the AP.

On the bright side, the NYPD is making the city safer by arresting dancing children and people who doze off on the subway.

The most popular and widely respected voice in America for your gun rights, breaking 2nd Amendment news, and everything else you need to know as a gun owner...
    I wear a Fez. Fez-es are cool

So, am I missing the part where he is on duty?

Comment

Being off duty shouldn't factor into it. Just like CDL drivers still have to follow the same rules in their off time.

Comment

Prob doesn't help if it was a department issued gun

Comment

Originally posted by Craizie View Post
          Being off duty shouldn't factor into it. Just like CDL drivers still have to follow the same rules in their off time.
          Bingo.
          Originally posted by BradM
          But, just like condoms and women's rights, I don't believe in them.
          Originally posted by Leah
          In other news: Brent's meat melts in your mouth.

Comment

How is the NYPD responsible for what an off duty officer does on his time off?

I don't understand why they are being sued $90 million. Seriously, am I missing something?

Comment

Originally posted by mstng86 View Post

I don't understand why they are being sued $90 million. Seriously, am I missing something?
              Dude....
              Originally posted by BradM
              But, just like condoms and women's rights, I don't believe in them.
              Originally posted by Leah
              In other news: Brent's meat melts in your mouth.

Comment

Because cops throw their badge around all the fucking time when they are off-duty. They need to be fucking held accountable for shit they do off-duty. Especially if they wanna act like big dick slingers.

Comment

Originally posted by bcoop View Post
                  Dude....
                  I am not trying to start a debate or act stupid. I am just saying what I assume would be the NYPD's defense in the matter.

The cop is clearly in the wrong, but I still don't understand how the NYPD should pay $90 million.

Comment

Originally posted by roliath View Post
                    Because cops throw their badge around all the fucking time when they are off-duty. They need to be fucking held accountable for shit they do off-duty. Especially if they wanna act like big dick slingers.
                    Little dick reporting for Duty!

Comment

I'm an idiot...
                      Last edited by Wish4svts; 07-10-2014, 04:29 PM.
                      Detailing is an Obsession!!

1996 MYSTIC Cobra #405 of 2000

Fox Coupe "Calypso Killer"

Comment

Originally posted by roliath View Post
                        I agree. He needs to be tried and convicted.

Comment

I am not trying to start a debate or act stupid. I am just saying what I assume would be the NYPD's defense in the matter.

The cop is clearly in the wrong, but I still don't understand how the NYPD should pay $90 million.
                          I highly doubt they'll get that much. They might get 1/3 of that, IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by Wish4svts View Post
                            Umm no we don't...
                            Oh yea? What's the legal limit for you to drink and drive?

Comment

Oh yea? What's the legal limit for you to drink and drive?

Comment

Working...
                              X