U.S. Army soldier stole equipment from armory, pawned it, agents say

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• U.S. Army soldier stole equipment from armory, pawned it, agents say

In early April, an estimated $400,000 worth of military equipment was reported stolen from a U.S. Army facility in West Palm Beach.

Among the missing supplies were tactical vests, gas masks, bayonets, machine gun magazines, and boxes of ready-to-eat meals. Pairs of night vision goggles also went out the door.

Three months after the theft was reported to West Palm Beach police on April 3, Jorge Luis Solorzano Jr., an active-duty U.S. Army staff sergeant who works at the Tuxedo Avenue armory, is facing a federal charge after authorities tied him to two pairs of missing night vision goggles, court filings show.

Solorzano stole the night vision goggles, worth $7,100, according to a criminal complaint filed in the West Palm Beach federal court. He then pawned them for $1,000 at a West Palm Beach pawn shop, authorities say.

It wasn't clear in court documents if Solorzano stole the other missing items, or if those items had been recovered.

When there were no signs of forced entry into the U.S. Army Reserve Armory, law enforcement started figuring that the theft was an inside job. The theory was buoyed by the fact that the stolen items were taken from locked storage lockers, which were inside another locked cage.

This is not the 29-year-old Solorzano's first arrest. On May 14, 2013, he was arrested by Broward Sheriff's deputies and charged with two counts of aggravated assault with a weapon and discharging a firearm from a vehicle, state records show.

Solorzano has remained on active duty since then, a Florida National Guard spokesman said, because the case hasn't yet resulted in a conviction or acquittal.

"We really have to wait until the civilian process works its way through the system," said Lt. Col. James Evans, based at the Florida National Guard's headquarters in St. Augustine. He added that an administrative investigation has been ongoing since Solorzano's arrest in 2013.

After his July 1 arrest, Solorzano appeared in federal court the next day, records show. He was released from custody, with conditions, after his father agreed to post $100,000 bond, filings state. Those conditions included surrendering his passport and continuing his active duty.

According to the criminal complaint, written by an FBI special agent, investigators suspected that the perpetrator used a key to open the lock of a storage locker, then tried to stage a forced entry by cutting the lock with bolt cutters.

Solorzano, who works at the armory as a supply sergeant, showed up for duty on March 31, despite being off that day. This was unusual, according to the complaint. He was the last person known to have seen or handled the supplies that went missing, the complaint states.

West Palm Beach police officers, responding to the theft call, queried a pawn shop database used by law enforcement. The database showed that Solorzano had pawned the two pairs of night vision goggles on Nov. 30, according to court records.

Police got the pawn transaction receipt on April 8. It had Solorzano's signature, thumbprint, and listed his employment as the U.S. Army active duty, the complaint said.

The Army had also drawn up a list of items that had gone missing. That list contained pairs of goggles whose serial numbers matched the numbers on the goggles that Solorzano is accused of pawning.

A senior FBI official declined to comment specifically on the Solorzano case, but said that in general, the theft of military equipment poses significant dangers.

"Unfortunately, there is a black market for sensitive military equipment," said Michael J. Donohoe, Supervisory Special Agent assigned to the FBI's West Palm Beach Resident Agency, in an email.

"Stealing this type of equipment is not only a costly criminal act, but it could ultimately end up in the hands of a criminal or terrorist organization," Donohue said.

Evans, of the Florida National Guard, said he couldn't comment on what a conviction, either at the state or federal level, or both, would mean for Solorzano's military career.

Evans did say that if a person had already been convicted of similar offenses before trying to enlist in the Army, they likely would've been denied.

"Integrity is the underpinning of military good order and discipline," Evans said. "Whenever there is an alleged breach of integrity, the Florida National Guard takes it very seriously."

Solorzano is a member of Company D, 1st Battalion, 124th Infantry Regiment in West Palm Beach, Evans said.

Solorzano faces one federal count of theft of government property, a charge that carries a maximum sentence of 10 years in prison.

I wear a Fez. Fez-es are cool

reminds me of that movie buffalo soldiers.

decent movie.

Comment

Sheriff in Sherman did basically the same thing with guns from property room couple years ago
      07 f250-family truckster
      08 Denali -baby hauler
      52 f1-rust bucket
      05 Jeep tj. Buggy
      livin the double-wide dream

Comment

While the dollar amount is definitely extraordinary, this is not as uncommon as it should be.

Comment

Very true. We had this happen quite a bit both in Korea and at Hood

Comment

They should kill him along with all the bad cops! Then again, maybe there's another side to the story we haven't heard about. What would the goggles say?

Comment

I'm all for shooting him in the head and kicking him into a deep hole on post. This violates his oath and is stealing from the taxpayers, the Army and puts lives at risk because that equipment is not there when it's needed.

Comment

Why would they not go through the military court system for this? Forgive my ignorance on military court workings...you would think I would know considering my brother-in-law was a military judge.

Comment

Originally posted by Ratt View Post
                  Why would they not go through the military court system for this? Forgive my ignorance on military court workings...you would think I would know considering my brother-in-law was a military judge.
                  It's at their discretion. They apparently would rather the civ courts handle it because either the punishments are harsher, or because of a jurisdictional thing

Comment

Damn, I would have paid him more than a stack for the nvg's.... I bet they were at least gen 3+

Comment

The problem comes when you have to figure out if it's the reserves or active that charges him, the court time that has to be paid for by the DoA and so forth. Easier to hand it to the city for charges and reserve the right to charge him if those fail.

Comment

If the National Guard is involved he's more than likely an AGR(Active Guard Reserve). It's basically a national guard soldier that works full time at the armory. From my experience some of those guys are shady at best and not the smartest guy in the room. National Guard is also a state entity so maybe that's why the went the civilian route.

Comment

The sad part is that they only caught him because he's stupid. Why would you steal something from the government and pawn it yourself? He probably got away with a lot more than what he's charged with.

Comment

worth $7,100 pawned for $1,000 sounds about right fuckin pawnshops!!!

Comment

Originally posted by scootro View Post
                              worth $7,100 pawned for $1,000 sounds about right fuckin pawnshops!!!
                              well they just lost a grand. You think they wanted to lose more than that?
                              "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

Working...
                              X