Talk to me about ski boats.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Talk to me about ski boats.

I've had an itch lately for a little boat for the family. Until now, I've sworn I would never own a boat. This is mainly due to the people I deal with regularly who are always less than prepared, stranded at the dock, looking for the cheapest way to rig something up, dumb, or a combination of all. I thought boats were great as long as they belonged to someone else.

I've been toying with the idea and figured I would look around and see what's out there. If I've learned anything so far, it's how not to maintain a boat. Stay on top of your maintenance, winterize thoroughly, monitor your batteries, keep certain spare parts on hand (starter, solenoid, loaded trailer hub, etc.), and don't be a cheap ass.

I want something used, bow rider, under 10K, 8 or so passenger rated, fuel injected, strong enough motor to ski, tube, wakeboard. I don't know anything about manufacturers as in which are good, which are shit. I've seen Chris Craft, Four Winns, Tahoe, Caravelle, Larson, etc. Some engines are Mercruiser, some 5.0 based, some Volvo-Penta, etc.

This is what I've got pictured in my head.

Bimini top, maybe a tow bar.

As a boat owner, what's your experience? What direction can you give me? What do you wish you had done or done differently? Mods that were worth every penny and those that weren't? Manufacturers/engines to consider or stay away from? I'm sure I'll have more questions as we go along.

Thanks!

Right off the bat throw Chris craft out the window. They are $$$

Four Winn's outboard is what I have (94) 18 footer little fish/ski. It gets crowded at 4 adults honestly. You need a need a 22ft boat if you want 8 people on. 20 footer my pops has (glastron gt205) gets crowded with 6 adults and a cooler.

Do you want and outboard or and I/o? Do you like to beach it or no?

Comment

What's your tow rig?

Comment

I have a tahoe 4.3 v6 q5i 08. Owned it for 6 yrs very reliable runs about 50mph pulls tube wake whatever. It's not an expensive boat and has a shallow V hull which makes it kinda rough in chop. You won't impress anybody with it buts its a good boat for the money. Mine is carb you crank it a few times when it's been sitting but once warm starts first crank. Extra 2 g for almost no power gain is a waste imo

Comment

Spare tire. I've lost count on how many trailers I see on the side of the road because they don't have a spare
          07 f250-family truckster
          08 Denali -baby hauler
          52 f1-rust bucket
          05 Jeep tj. Buggy
          livin the double-wide dream

Comment

just get a cabin cruiser.

Comment

IIRC the boat show is at dallas market hall this weekend. Might give it a go, check out sizes and such in one place so you can get an idea of what size/features to look for when you are scouring craigslist.
              "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

It's cheaper to find a friend with a boat.

Comment

buy a fish/Ski dont be another douche bag wakeboard boat. It seems like when I'm out fishing theses ass hats like to get right next to me! spare tire with packed hub, I keep a change of plugs, fuel filter,fuses,wires, and a tool bag,
                  in my boat at all times. also if you go outboard mercury is the way to go, Yamaha 2nd, then Evinrude. If it's got a force on it stay away from it.
                  "Yeeeeehhhhhaaaaawwwww that's my jam"

Comment

I've only owned fishing boats and a '58 Thompson.
                    My father has an '87 Four Winns 180 Horizon with the 4.3l V6. I cannot give that boat enough compliments. He's owned it since new, and it has never given him a bigger issue than shifter linkage adjustment. Excellent build quality, incredible on gas, and it can still pull me up on a slalom ski no problem. Also, it can provide a fairly decent wake for boarding.
                    Whatever you get, please take care of it religiously. Care, or the lack thereof, is what makes them either a joy to own, or an absolute PITA.
                    Originally posted by Buzzo
                    Some dudes jump out of airplanes, I fuck hookers without condoms.

sigpic

Comment

Anything used check the rubber exhaust hoses and cable hoses they crack over time and allow water into the hull

Comment

no party barge no care

Comment

Originally posted by Country cracker View Post
                          buy a fish/Ski dont be another douche bag wakeboard boat. It seems like when I'm out fishing theses ass hats like to get right next to me! spare tire with packed hub, I keep a change of plugs, fuel filter,fuses,wires, and a tool bag,
                          in my boat at all times. also if you go outboard mercury is the way to go, Yamaha 2nd, then Evinrude. If it's got a force on it stay away from it.
                          You probably park in the coves where the wake is best ( smooth ). That's where they wake board at.

Comment

Originally posted by Nate View Post
                            Right off the bat throw Chris craft out the window. They are $$$

Four Winn's outboard is what I have (94) 18 footer little fish/ski. It gets crowded at 4 adults honestly. You need a need a 22ft boat if you want 8 people on. 20 footer my pops has (glastron gt205) gets crowded with 6 adults and a cooler.

Do you want and outboard or and I/o? Do you like to beach it or no?
                            Originally posted by Nate View Post
                            What's your tow rig?
                            Probably I/O, but I don't know any pro or cons and am willing to listen. It would be nice to be able to beach it but I would probably be so terrified to tear up the hull that I never would. Would be towing with my Titan.

Originally posted by whitetrash View Post
                            Spare tire.
                            Noted.

Originally posted by Baron Von Crowder View Post
                            IIRC the boat show is at dallas market hall this weekend. Might give it a go, check out sizes and such in one place so you can get an idea of what size/features to look for when you are scouring craigslist.
                            Thanks. Will hit that Saturday after gun class.

Originally posted by Craizie View Post
                            It's cheaper to find a friend with a boat.
                            I don't have any friends.

Originally posted by Country cracker View Post
                            Thanks. Ski/Fish is what I'm thinking. Wouldn't want to be mistaken for a bro.

Originally posted by QIK46 View Post
                            Anything used check the rubber exhaust hoses and cable hoses they crack over time and allow water into the hull
                            Noted.

Originally posted by Silverback View Post
                            no party barge no care
                            Father in law is selling his fishing boat for one of these, but still wants to have something in the family to ski/tube/wake with.

Comment

as low as the lakes are getting i'd carry another prop.

Comment

Working...
                              X