Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Child support following a death of a child?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Child support following a death of a child?

I know someone who's youngest son (15) died suddenly. His daughter had also turned 18 in the past year. My thought is that by law he is no longer obligated to pay any child support.

Is the parent paying the child support still obligated to continue paying child support for his son, though he is no longer living? I would assume not, but not sure if the parent would have to go to court to get it changed or what. Also, when a child turns 18, does that support obligation just expire on their birthday or does one have to go to court to get it changed too?

Originally posted by Frank View Post
    I know someone who's youngest son (15) died suddenly. His daughter had also turned 18 in the past year. My thought is that by law he is no longer obligated to pay any child support.

Is the parent paying the child support still obligated to continue paying child support for his son, though he is no longer living? I would assume not, but not sure if the parent would have to go to court to get it changed or what. Also, when a child turns 18, does that support obligation just expire on their birthday or does one have to go to court to get it changed too?
    Not sure on the death of a child but I can tell you with certainty that child support doesn't automatically end at 18. He'll have to go to court to get it stopped.

Comment

if the daughter goes to college I believe he will still have to pay till her mid 20s

Comment

Originally posted by 2011GT View Post
        if the daughter goes to college I believe he will still have to pay till her mid 20s
        She has enlisted for the Marines, but due to the death of her brother her shipping off was delayed.

Comment

10) Does child support terminate upon a child's death or institutionalization? It may, but a supporting parent may not unilaterally end or modify support without a court order.

For Illinois but may be valid for Texas as well

Comment

My dad paid child support on my little brother until he was 24 - and my brother was living him during the last ten of those years.

wtf fo reel
            When the government pays, the government controls.

Comment

"(3) until the death of the child"

Comment

Originally posted by 46Tbird View Post
                My dad paid child support on my little brother until he was 24 - and my brother was living him during the last ten of those years.

wtf fo reel
                Fuck that shit! If my daughter moved in with me tomorrow, I'd be at the courthouse filing motions first thing Monday morning.
                Originally posted by BradM
                But, just like condoms and women's rights, I don't believe in them.
                Originally posted by Leah
                In other news: Brent's meat melts in your mouth.

Comment

Originally posted by Big A View Post
                  Similar to what was written above, the court will have to validate the child's death before payments will be stopped.

Originally posted by bcoop View Post
                  Fuck that shit! If my daughter moved in with me tomorrow, I'd be at the courthouse filing motions first thing Monday morning.
                  I never understood it. But then again, my dad is "a bit" non confrontational on hugely important matters like this. Or when the snow-filled covered parking collapsed on his Corvette.
                  When the government pays, the government controls.

Comment

He wont have to pay it anymore if he goes to court to modify his paper work. Sad news...RIP
                    Originally posted by Da Prez
                    Fuck dfwstangs!! If Jose ain't running it, I won't even bother going back to it, just my two cents!!
                    Originally posted by VETTKLR

Cliff Notes: I can beat the fuck out of a ZR1

Comment

Originally posted by Juiced4v View Post
                      He wont have to pay it anymore if he goes to court to modify his paper work. Sad news...RIP
                      Yeah, he was a really sweet kid. Apparently had an epileptic seizure in his sleep. Thanks.

Comment

Yeah, he was a really sweet kid. Apparently had an epileptic seizure in his sleep. Thanks.
                        As a parent I would be devastated!
                        Originally posted by Da Prez
                        Fuck dfwstangs!! If Jose ain't running it, I won't even bother going back to it, just my two cents!!
                        Originally posted by VETTKLR

Cliff Notes: I can beat the fuck out of a ZR1

Comment

She has enlisted for the Marines, but due to the death of her brother her shipping off was delayed.

it depends on the contract. i know someone that has two kids they are paying child support on. the oldest also enlisted in the Marines, but child support did not stop for him. keeps going until the youngest turns 18. then i am sure the other parent will want child support cause the youngest has one year even while they will be turning 18 in Sept.

Comment

For the record, my friend is not asking about it. I just know how much he has struggled for some time financially and I wondered. He would probably be reluctant to get it changed in any hurry. It is too soon to bring it up to him I think. I was just curious.

Comment

r.i.p.

Comment

Working...
                              X