Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Uh-oh.

Thompson: Associate of Dallas Ebola patient under close monitoring

DALLAS — Due to close contact with a patient diagnosed with the Ebola virus, a second person is under the close monitoring of health officials as a possible second patient, said the director of Dallas County's health department Wednesday morning in an interview with WFAA.

Zachary Thompson, the director of Dallas County Health and Human Services, says all those who've been in close contact with the diagnosed patient are being monitored as a precaution. However, Thompson pointed to one person in particular as a potential second case.

"Let me be real frank to the Dallas County residents, the fact that we have one confirmed case, there may be another case that is a close associate with this particular patient," he said in a Wednesday interview with WFAA. "... So this is real. There should be a concern, but it's contained to the specific family members and close friends at this moment."

The director continued to assure residents that the public isn't at risk as health officials have the virus contained.

Tuesday, the Center for Disease Control confirmed a patient at Texas Health Presbyterian Hospital Dallas was the first person to be diagnosed with the Ebola virus in the United States.

The patient left Liberia on September 19 and arrived in Dallas the following day. On September 26, he sought treatment at the hospital after becoming ill but was sent home with a prescription for antibiotics. Two days later, he was admitted with more critical symptoms, after requiring an ambulance ride to the hospital.

Local health officials say the patient was in contact with several children before he was hospitalized. Thompson says each of those children have been kept home and are under precautionary monitoring.

The Dallas County school district says they're working closely with health officials.

"DISD is in contact with Dallas County Health Department regarding the Ebola investigation," read a statement from Jon Dahlander, a spokesman with the district. "They are consulting with the County on any additional action that may need to be taken during the course of investigation. This is part of routine emergency operations during a health incident in the county. This is same protocol taken during things like flu and Tuberculosis cases."

More than a half a dozen employees with the CDC arrived in Dallas after news of the confirmed diagnosis broke. The CDC and Dallas County are working together in what they call a "contact investigation." Anyone who has had contact with the patient, including emergency room staff, will be under the observation of health officials for 21 days. If any of those under monitoring show symptoms, they'll be placed in isolation.

The three paramedics who transported the patient are temporarily off duty and among those under observation.

Accompanied by state health director David L. Lakey, Gov. Rick Perry will hold a press conference to address the diagnosis at noon from Texas Health Presbyterian Hospital.
    In other words, we have a second case of ebola and it was transmitted from the first patient.
    When the government pays, the government controls.

Comment

• Has anyone seen a name?
      Fuck you. We're going to Costco.

Comment

• Originally posted by Broncojohnny View Post
        Don't worry guys, there was a dude in a CNBC article saying they have 100 doses of the Ebola drug they used on that doctor in Atlanta. All is well!
        If this was a virus prominent in the US, there would be plenty.

In other words, they don't make free drugs for sick Africans.

Comment

• Originally posted by kbscobravert View Post
          Has anyone seen a name?
          It hasn't been released due to hipa laws. He has to volunteer that info for it to be legally available for release.
          I don't like Republicans, but I really FUCKING hate Democrats.

Sex with an Asian woman is great, but 30 minutes later you're horny again.

Comment

• Originally posted by LANTIRN View Post
            It hasn't been released due to hipa laws. He has to volunteer that info for it to be legally available for release.
            I am aware of it not being released by medical officials but has it slipped was my question.
            Fuck you. We're going to Costco.

Comment

• Originally posted by 46Tbird View Post
              Uh-oh.

In other words, we have a second case of ebola and it was transmitted from the first patient.
              That has to be expected, right?

I mean you're contagious when you start being symptomatic. He went to the hospital on the 26th and they sent him home. While he probably felt like absolute shit and didn't leave the house he still would have been very close to family members from then until he went back to the hospital and was admitted on the 28th.

I'm gonna say I'm not surprised at that news, but I really hope they have all of his family and other contacts locked down at the moment.

Comment

interestingly, he is not a US citizen, so hipa does not apply.
                "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

• First guy did not have much contact but with family...

Potential second patient was in close contact with person whose diagnosis was confirmed Tuesday.

who did that guy contact

Comment

• so by 5 this afternoon if there are more and more people being monitored...then does it become a thing?

Comment

• Originally posted by Baron Von Crowder View Post
                      interestingly, he is not a US citizen, so hipa does not apply.
                      Has his citizenship been confirmed? I hadn't heard anything about that.
                      I don't like Republicans, but I really FUCKING hate Democrats.

Sex with an Asian woman is great, but 30 minutes later you're horny again.

Comment

• So I was listening to the radio, so take it with a grain of salt, but they said the hospital had to properly discard the doctors waste in atlanta .

So this guy was using his toilet the whole time. I hope it isn't in the water supply.

Comment

One statement I read from a CDC spokesperson said the patient moved to dallas from liberia on the 19th.
                          "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

• I don't think citizenship makes a difference in the application of HIPAA, kinda like the laws against murder.

Comment

Yeah me either, but I did read where they were moving to Texas. I have a feeling there are some border security issues here that are keeping a lid on things.

I mean just hypothetically speaking what if they turn out to be a Muslim extremist and are here illegally?

Comment

when asked the cdc deflected the question by saying he was visiting. IE this might be somebody here on a visa

Comment

Working...
                                X