Ebola on US shores

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by John -- '02 HAWK View Post
    CDC said yesterday they dont have anymore vaccine, all they had was used on the DR and the CDC doesnt even know if it worked.

But as you stated unless you have come into contact with the infected's bodily fluids then there really isnt an issue.
    One didn't make it:

Dr. Abraham Borbor, Deputy Chief Medical Doctor at Liberia’s leading medical institution, the John F. Kennedy Medical Center and one of three doctors recently injected with the Anti-Ebola trial drug, ZMAPP has died.

In confirming Dr. Borbor’s death to FrontPageAfrica late Sunday night, Information Minister Lewis Brown, said the news came as a shock because the veteran doctor had been improving since the drug was administered.

“He was walking around yesterday and the doctors were hopeful that he would make a full recovery.

“He was a classmate in high school, so this hits close to home,” Brown said of Borbor, who was the only recorded internist in Liberia.

Three dosages of the ZMAPP arrived in Liberia on August 14 and administered to Dr. Borbor, along with a Nigerian doctor, Dr. Aroh Cosmos Izchukwu and a Ugandan doctor assisting the JFK Hospital.

Another prominent JFK Doctor, Dr. Phillip Zokonis Ireland who was in isolation along with Dr. Borbor, walked out of the isolation unit last week, but was not one of the recipients of the ZMAPP drug.

The drug has already been administered to two American health care workers and a Spanish priest, all previously working in Liberian hospitals. The two American doctors, survived while the Spanish priest died.
    "Self-government won't work without self-discipline." - Paul Harvey

Comment

• Boycott Walmart?

Comment

• DALLAS — The sister of the first Ebola patient diagnosed in the United States says he told relatives he notified officials the first time he went to the hospital that he was visiting from Liberia.

Mai Wureh says her brother, Thomas Eric Duncan, went to a Dallas emergency room on Friday and they sent him home with antibiotics. She says he said hospital officials asked for his Social Security number and he said that he didn't have one because he was visiting from Liberia.

In a news conference early Wednesday afternoon, Dallas ISD superintendent Mike Miles revealed that five children from four district schools were possibly exposed to the virus.

Miles identified the schools as:

Conrad High School
        Tasby Middle School
        Hotchkiss Elementary School
        Dan D. Rogers Elementary

The patient who was diagnosed with the Ebola virus was staying at a northeast Dallas apartment complex, according to a Dallas police spokesman.

Lt. Joel Lavender confirmed the patient was transported from the Ivy Apartments to Texas Health Presbyterian Hospital Dallas on September 28.

Due to close contact with the diagnosed patient, a second person is under the close monitoring of health officials as a possible second patient, said the director of Dallas County's health department Wednesday morning in an interview with WFAA.

Zachary Thompson, the director of Dallas County Health and Human Services, says all those who've been in close contact with the diagnosed patient are being monitored as a precaution. However, Thompson pointed to one person in particular as a potential second case.

"Let me be real frank to the Dallas County residents, the fact that we have one confirmed case, there may be another case that is a close associate with this particular patient," he said in a Wednesday interview with WFAA. "... So this is real. There should be a concern, but it's contained to the specific family members and close friends at this moment."

The director continued to assure residents that the public isn't at risk as health officials have the virus contained.

Dallas County health director addresses Ebola case

Tuesday, the Center for Disease Control confirmed a patient at Texas Health Presbyterian Hospital Dallas was the first person to be diagnosed with the Ebola virus in the United States. While reported to be in critical condition Tuesday, the unidentified patient's condition was downgraded to serious but stable the following morning.

The patient left Liberia on September 19 and arrived in Dallas to visit relatives the following day, said CDC director Tom Frieden. On September 26, he sought treatment at the hospital after becoming ill but was sent home with a prescription for antibiotics. Two days later, he was admitted with more critical symptoms, after requiring an ambulance ride to the hospital.

"I have no doubt that we'll stop this in its tracks in the U.S.," Frieden said. "But I also have no doubt that — as long as the outbreak continues in Africa — we need to be on our guard."

Local health officials say the patient was in contact with several children before he was hospitalized. Thompson says each of those children have been kept home and are under precautionary monitoring.

The Dallas County school district says they're working closely with health officials.

"DISD is in contact with Dallas County Health Department regarding the Ebola investigation," read a statement from Jon Dahlander, a spokesman with the district. "They are consulting with the County on any additional action that may need to be taken during the course of investigation. This is part of routine emergency operations during a health incident in the county. This is same protocol taken during things like flu and Tuberculosis cases."

More than a half a dozen employees with the CDC arrived in Dallas after news of the confirmed diagnosis broke. The CDC and Dallas County are working together in what they call a "contact investigation." Anyone who has had contact with the patient, including emergency room staff, will be under the observation of health officials for 21 days. If any of those under monitoring show symptoms, they'll be placed in isolation.

Stanley Gaye, president of the Liberian Community Association of Dallas-Fort Worth, said the 10,000-strong Liberian population in North Texas is skeptical of the CDC's assurances because Ebola has ravaged their country.

"We've been telling people to try to stay away from social gatherings," Gaye said at a community meeting Tuesday evening. Large get-togethers are a prominent part of Liberian culture.

Ebola symptoms can include fever, muscle pain, vomiting and bleeding, and can appear as long as 21 days after exposure to the virus. The disease is not contagious until symptoms begin, and it takes close contact with bodily fluids to spread.

The three paramedics who transported the patient are temporarily off duty and among those under observation.

Accompanied by state health director David L. Lakey, Gov. Rick Perry spoke Wednesday afternoon from Texas Health Presbyterian Hospital.

Lakey said the state was preparing for the virus as early as August. He also said health officials have been in close contact with the patient's family.

"Messages have been conveyed to them about how we need to approach the situation," he said.

WFAA's Jenny Doren and Rebecca Lopez and the Associated Press contributed to this report
        I wear a Fez. Fez-es are cool

Comment

• Jeez... If it ain't the Messicans, it's the Africans!

Comment

• Originally posted by Denny View Post
            Jeez... If it ain't the Messicans, it's the Africans!
            Cans are cans, man.

Should be interesting if the kids come down with it. Dallas will freak the fuck out.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sean88gt View Post
              Cans are cans, man.

Should be interesting if the kids come down with it. Dallas will freak the fuck out.
              The whole area will I bet.
              Originally posted by MR EDD
              U defend him who use's racial slurs like hes drinking water.

Comment

• "You have problem with Liberians? Me too. I help for freedom"

Comment

• So it was only possibly one, that was confirmed. Then it was contact with five children. And I just heard it was possibly up to eighteen.

So in 7 days, we're looking at the entire continent of North America being infected.

Comment

• Originally posted by Forever_frost View Post
                    http://www.wfaa.com/story/news/healt...ases/16524303/

More than a half a dozen employees with the CDC arrived in Dallas after news of the confirmed diagnosis broke.
                    So more than 6? That's impressive.

Comment

• you guys have mosquitoes in dallas?

Comment

• LAKE - received a bid for 160,000 hazmat suits at $1,200 each baby!
                        Originally posted by davbrucas
                        I want to like Slow99 since people I know say he's a good guy, but just about everything he posts is condescending and passive aggressive.

Most people I talk to have nothing but good things to say about you, but you sure come across as a condescending prick. Do you have an inferiority complex you've attempted to overcome through overachievement? Or were you fondled as a child?

You and slow99 should date. You both have passive aggressiveness down pat.

Comment

• So how quickly could this escalate if a dozen folks got it?

Comment

• Originally posted by slow99 View Post
                            LAKE - received a bid for 160,000 hazmat suits at $1,200 each baby!
                            Naw, no panic at all.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sean88gt View Post
                              Naw, no panic at all.
                              honestly i would think i would be slightly concerned if i did not live a few hours away. knowing patient had contact with others and they had contact and so it spreads and there are a few day window before symptoms can show....
                              but

Comment

• I wanna get a T shirt made that says I GOT DA BOLA and see what happens.

Comment

Working...
                                X