Ebola on US shores

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Ruffdaddy View Post
    What if some sweaty cook at mcdonalds gets it? Sweating all over the burger patties spreading every ebola he has collected thus far
    You are far more likely to catch Hepatitis from the salads. Heat kills viruses, they cook with lots of it.

Comment

• Originally posted by 01vnms4v View Post
      i am just wondering when cnn will start playing the race issue again, only cause he is black
      Farrakhan is already all over that angle.

From Louis Farrakhan's official Twitter feed?(hat tip: Mark Hemingway). The link goes to an article in the Nation of Islam…

Comment

• Originally posted by BP View Post
        Farrakhan is already all over that angle.

http://reason.com/blog/2014/10/01/lo...-aids-are-race
        What a nut job, here is my favorite line from the article posted...

There is a weapon that can be put in a room where there are Black and White people, and it will kill only the Black and spare the White, because it is a genotype weapon that is designed for your genes, for your race, for your kind.

Some of the comments for that article are golden as well.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ruffdaddy View Post
          What if some sweaty cook at mcdonalds gets it? Sweating all over the burger patties spreading every ebola he has collected thus far
          You deserve ebola if you eat at McDonalds.
          Originally posted by Broncojohnny
          Would you like your reparations in 5.56mm or 7.62mm?

Comment

• Originally posted by cool cat View Post
            What a nut job, here is my favorite line from the article posted...

There is a weapon that can be put in a room where there are Black and White people, and it will kill only the Black and spare the White, because it is a genotype weapon that is designed for your genes, for your race, for your kind.

How many white people have died of eboli?

I don't have the answer, but subjectively, I like my odds.
            When the government pays, the government controls.

Comment

• Originally posted by 46Tbird View Post

so you are saying its like sickle cell?

god bless.
              It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men -Frederick Douglass

Comment

I don't know either, we may find out soon if this shit spreads.

Comment

• Originally posted by cool cat View Post
                  I don't know either, we may find out soon if this shit spreads.
                  Gonna have to wait until mid October at least.
                  "Self-government won't work without self-discipline." - Paul Harvey

Comment

• White House spokesman Josh Earnest rebuffed questions Oct. 1 about a possible federal ban on travel from Ebola-stricken countries, and said the president will rely instead on government medical professionals to contain imported epidemics.

“These are the experts, they have a keen understanding of how to prevent the spread of this disease,” he said, adding “we can stop the spread of Ebola in its tracks.”

“What are the conditions under which the President would order or want to see travel restrictions?” asked one reporter.

“We are confident that the sophisticated medical infrastructure that exists here in the United States can prevent the wide spread of Ebola,” Earnest said.

“Doesn’t that imply that we’re willing to accept a certain number of people coming into this country who will be diagnosed and develop Ebola once they’re here?” the reporter asked.

“We live in a global world, and what we’re confident that we can do is to both protect the safety of the traveling public and … protect the broader American public by rigorously applying the kind of medical protocols that are recommended by the Centers for Disease Control,” Earnest replied.

The president picked a bad week for putting additional faith in government professionals.

Earnest spoke Oct. 1, shortly after he had announced the resignation of Julia Pierson, the veteran leader of the professional security agents in the United States Secret Service. Pierson’s resignation came after a series of high-profile security flubs had exposed the president to lethal attacks, and one day after Earnest said that Obama has full confidence in the secret service director.

Earnest’s statement also came only a few days after Obama has blamed mistakes by the professional intelligence officials for the U.S. failure to block the spread of the jihadis group in northern Iraq.

Earnest’s statement also came on the same day that officials announced a possible second case of Ebola in the country, following the unhindered arrival of a disease-carrier on Sept. 20th. The new victim may have contracted the disease after medical professionals sent the Ebola carrier home after a flawed medical check on Sept. 24.

The two Ebola cases may be politically damaging to Obama, partly because public confidence in Obama’s management has already fallen.

On Sept. 16, Obama minimized the danger of Ebola infections in the United States. “In the unlikely event that someone with Ebola does reach our shores, we’ve taken new measures so that we’re prepared here at home,” he said Sept. 16.

On Sept. 30, federal officials announced that the carrier had flown from Liberia into the United States on Sept. 20, and had began to show obvious symptoms of the disease on the 24th. Disease-carriers can transmit the disease once they have symptoms. But a person can be infected with the disease, and not show any symptoms, for up to 21 days.

The Liberian is now being treated in a Dallas hospital, and federal officials are trying to contact and monitor everyone — including several children — who were in contact with him. Additional travelers to the United States are likely, partly because U.S. health-centers are much better than African hospitals.

Earnest tried to downplay the president’s Sept. 16 “unlikely event” comment.

“You might be slightly over-parsing what the President said, because when he delivered those remarks there had been at least a couple of health care professionals who had been trying to provide medical services to Ebola victims in Africa who had been returned to the United States for treatment,” Earnest said at the Oct. 1 press conference. “So obviously these individuals who had contracted Ebola in the performance of their medical work were on the shores of the United States of America,” he claimed.

The State Department has given visas to roughly 13,500 people from the Ebola-stricken countries of Sierra Leon, Guinea and Liberia, according to federal data.

The data doesn’t show how many of those people are already in the United States, but visitors from those countries should be excluded until they can show they’re free of Ebola, said Jessica Vaughan, policy director at the Center for Immigration Studies.

“It would be reasonable to designate Ebola as a communicable disease of public health significance [because] that would enable the State Department to impose tighter restrictions on visitors” countries with Ebola outbreaks, she said.

Under current policies, only people with obvious symptoms — principally, a high temperature — are excluded by immigration officials.
                    I wear a Fez. Fez-es are cool

Comment

Didn't AIDS start off as an only gay disease?

Comment

• behavior != genetics

This will be fun!
                        When the government pays, the government controls.

Comment

• Obama putting faith in government is a scary non-response. The freak out over ebola could be worse than a localized outbreak.

Comment

• Only a handful of the 100 or so people indentified as having contact with Thomas Eric Duncan, the first person diagnosed with the Ebola virus in the Unites States, or his family’s home, will need to be monitored for exposure to Ebola, health officials said during a conference call Thursday.

About 100 Might Have Had Contact With Dallas Ebola Patient or Family: Officials
                            By Todd L. Davis
                            View Comments (
                            )
                            |
                            Email
                            |
                            Print
                            Trending Stories

DPD Officer Fired After Ignoring Woman's Cry for Help
                            CDC Confirms 1st U.S. Ebola Case: "We Will Stop It Here"
                            VideoRichardson Restaurant Catches Fire
                            Girl Missing for 12 Years Found With Mom in Mexico
                            Live35,000 Walruses Come Ashore in Alaska

NEWSLETTERS
                            Receive the latest health updates in your inbox
                            Privacy Policy | More Newsletters
                            NBC News has confirmed the Dallas Ebola patient is Thomas Eric Duncan from Monrovia, Liberia.
                            Thursday, Oct 2, 2014 • Updated at 9:22 AM CDT

About 100 people might have been come in contact with the first person diagnosed with the Ebola virus in the Unites States or his family's home, Dallas health officials said.

Officials are investigating Thomas Eric Duncan’s background and trip from Liberia to Dallas as they seek to identify and monitor people he might have come into contact with while showing symptoms of Ebola. County health officials have ordered four of his family members to stay home to prevent potential spread of the disease, according to a press release.

Dallas Ebola Patient Identified; Contacts Isolated

A spokeswoman for the Texas Department of State Health Services said Thursday that officials expect the list of 100 "potential or possible contacts" to narrow as they "focus in on those whose contact may represent a potential risk of infection."​

"Out of an abundance of caution, we're starting with this very wide net, including people who have had even brief encounters with the patient or the patient's home," Carrie Williams, spokeswoman with the Texas Department of State Health Services, said in a statement. "The number will drop as we focus in on those whose contact may represent a potential risk of infection."​

Ebola Patient's Family Talks [DFW] Ebola Patient's Family Talks The family of Dallas Ebola patient, Thomas Eric Duncan, is raising new questions about how Texas Health Presbyterian Hospital handled the case.

Hospital officials, meanwhile, said they’re optimistic that Duncan, a 42-year-old Liberian national, will recover. He is listed in serious condition at Texas Health Presbyterian Hospital.

Health officials confirmed Tuesday that Duncan tested positive for Ebola, less than two weeks after he arrived in the United States from Liberia. He initially sought care at a hospital Sept. 25, shortly after showing symptoms, but was released. He returned Sept. 28 and was flagged as a potential Ebola case.

"Contact Tracing" Explained: How to Stop Ebola From Spreading

The timing has raised questions about why Duncan wasn't treated as a possible Ebola patient sooner, given his recent travel. A relative said he reached out to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention because they "feared other people might also get infected if he wasn't taken care of." He urged doctors to give Duncan the same experimental drugs credited with saving the lives of American aid workers, including Dr. Kent Brantly of Forth Worth.

"He's doing all right. He's in our prayers. We are really rooting on him,"Josephus Weeks, Duncan's nephew, told NBC News. "I'm hoping that he can get the same kind of treatment that was given to the four other patients that survived, and that's my concern."

Up to 80 People in Contact With Patient

Dallas County Health and Human Services Director Zach Thompson confirmed that up to 80 people came into contact with Duncan or Duncan's family. They previously confirmed that several school-age children came into contact with him.

Officials did not say whether Duncan was symptomatic during the interactions. Not all had close, physical contact.

What to Know: How Ebola Is Spread

Ten CDC officials are looking at Duncan's trip from Liberia to Dallas, which spanned more than 9,000 miles and included stops in Brussels and a major airport servicing the Washington, D.C. area. Officials said they'll determine whether fellow passengers need to be contacted.

Family Under Legal Order

After previously being told to stay home and isolated, Duncan's relatives could now face legal action if they don't comply.

Texas and Dallas County health officials issued a legal order requiring the four family members to stay home and not have any visitors until Oct. 19, the Texas Department of State Health Services said in a press release.

5 Dallas Children Being Monitored for Ebola

“We have tried and true protocols to protect the public and stop the spread of this disease,” Dr. David Lakey, Texas health commissioner, said in the release. “This order gives us the ability to monitor the situation in the most meticulous way.”

The order also requires the family to provide blood samples, agree to any testing required and immediately report any symptoms. The family members do not have symptoms at this time.

Symptoms include fever above 100.5 degrees, headache, nausea, diarrhea or abdominal pain.

Texas law allows the health officials to issue such control measures. If a person does not follow these orders, they can be enforced by the courts, and the person can face criminal charges.

Dallas ISD Children Being Monitored

Texas Gov. Rick Perry said five Dallas Independent School District children who attend had contact with Duncan and are being monitored at home.

According to DISD Superintendent Mike Miles, two students at Sam Tasby Middle School possibly came into contact with Duncan, and one student each at Dan D. Rogers Elementary, L.L. Hotchkiss Elementary and Emmett J. Conrad High School.

5 Dallas Children Monitored for Ebola [DFW] 5 Children Monitored for Ebola: DISD Superintendent Mike Miles Mike Miles, the superintendent of the Dallas Independent School District, said five children are being monitored after coming into contact with a man diagnosed with the Ebola virus. Miles spoke Oct. 1, 2014, during a news conference at Texas Health Presbyterian Hospital in Dallas.

"The impacted students are currently not showing any symptoms and are under close observation by the Dallas County Health and Human Services Department," district said in a news release Wednesday.

"As a precautionary measure, the students have been advised to stay home from school. Since the students are not presenting any symptoms, there is nothing to suggest that the disease was spread to others including students and staff," the release stated.

Meanwhile, the district launched a recorded hotline to provide updates to parents of DISD students. The hotline number is 972-925-5810. Parents can also visit
                            www.dallasisd.org/healthupdates for information.

Nephew: Patient Not Properly Treated

Duncan's nephew said his uncle was not properly treated during his initial visit to a Dallas hospital.

Health officials acknowledged that Duncan was initially sent home from Texas Health Presbyterian Hospital after complaining of fever and abdominal pain. He returned days later in an ambulance.

"I called CDC to get some actions taken, because I was concerned for his life and he wasn't getting the appropriate care," Weeks said. "I feared other people might also get infected if he wasn't taken care of."

Weeks said the CDC referred him to the Texas Department of Health and Human Services, which took appropriate action. He added that he hoped "nobody else got infected because of a mistake that was made."

"I called the CDC and they instructed me of the process, and that got the ball rolling," Weeks said.

A CDC spokesman told NBC News the agency could not comment on Weeks' claim. The hospital did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

Hospital officials said they'll review why Duncan was allowed to leave during his initial visit.

Neighbor Witnessed Patient Vomiting

Two days after initially being sent home from the hospital, neighbor Mesud Osmanovic said he saw Duncan vomiting on the ground outside an apartment complex in the 7200 block of Fair Oaks Avenue as he was loaded into an ambulance.

"His whole family was screaming," Osmanovic said. "He got outside and he was throwing up all over the place."

Three paramedics took Duncan to Texas Health Presbyterian Hospital by ambulance. At the time, though, they had no idea they were dealing with a patient with the Ebola virus.

“What our paramedics saw was this could be a contagious person, not knowing what it would turn into,” said Lieutenant Joel Lavender with Dallas Fire-Rescue.

The three paramedics are currently at home being monitored for 21 days. Health officials are also keeping a close eye on anyone who they have confirmed has been in contact with Duncan after he showed symptoms of the disease about a week ago.
                            I wear a Fez. Fez-es are cool

Comment

• "Tin foil hat on" the Obama administration made this happen so everyone and there brother will focus on this instead of way more important issues.

Comment

• just heard there was a case in Hawaii and Frisco....

Comment

Working...
                                X